3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2014 7:30 PM by JJMack

Can you access perforce and check out files from a photoshop script?

ConcernedCitizen

I want to have a custom save dialog that looks to see if the open file is checked into perforce, if it is then it should ask to check it out for you.

• 1. Re: Can you access perforce and check out files from a photoshop script?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

What are you trying to do? All files are not open through a dialog and all files are not opened at through Photoshop user interfaces level file can open and processed through a batch process and in scripts like the image processor.  Those opens would not even trigger an open event if you have set one  up.  Does Preforce not control file access and version control

• 2. Re: Can you access perforce and check out files from a photoshop script?
            ConcernedCitizen Level 1

We're going to have a source directory and a "final" directory. These will have mirrored folder structures but the source folder will contain master .psd files with different groups and such. The script I'm making takes that source file and saves out individual, reduced-size, compressed versions in the corresponding "final" folder.

That all works fine and great without any sort of extra P4 work. The problem we run into is that our artists have to go into perforce and open the source for edit and then open the final version for edit before they can do any saving. I'd like part of the script's process to be checking if the source or "final" are in perforce and, if not, ask to add it or, if it is, ask to check it out.

I just started digging into P4's Graphics Tools which may be a good solution. It has a few annoying quirks with our P4 setup but since it's open source, we can probably fix them.

Still, if you have any other ideas I'm still open to them. Nothing wrong with learning other alternatives.

• 3. Re: Can you access perforce and check out files from a photoshop script?
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I know nothing about nothing about perforce or its features.  If it has any ability for you as a script writer to edit file metadata where you can record the files current status in some area like instructions.  If the you can then a Photoshop script could look for your documents  files perforce status and if known act on it and add to it. Then if committed by saves you could also see the addition in your  perforce scripts.  Keep the information in the image files metadata.  So I would look in perforce manuals to see if it supports scripting.