9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2014 11:09 AM by Bob Somrak

Mysterious Lightroom folder files.

seanvee

Hello all-

I just want to preface my question by saying I apologize for being the kind of user who expects a fast response / solution and then leaves the forum until my next problem arises. I'm fairly savvy with Adobe apps but I don't feel like I'm at a point where I could answer other users questions yet.

Moving on, here's some background on my computer:

I run a 2008 Macbook Pro 5,1 wit 8GB ram, 128GB SSD for my boot drive and a 256GB in my old optical bay that I use as a storage drive. I point Lightroom and all of my apps to this 'storage' drive for big file storage.

And here is my issue:

At some point in the last year, I flooded my Lightroom folder with cache files. I believe I did this by syncing my Lightroom folder to another drive with the app open. Is that a reasonable explanation for what could have happened? I'm also unclear about a few other files.

I'm aware that I need the following:

-Corrupt catalogs

-.lrcat files

I'm not sure if I need any of the other files such as "temporary import data" or "temporary repair catalog"

I've attached screenshots below. I would really appreciate some help

Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 11.26.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 11.27.09 AM.png

• 1. Re: Mysterious Lightroom folder files.
          Bob Somrak Level 5

Those look like Camera Raw Cache files.  Go to Lightroom/Preferences/Flile Handling and see where the Camera Rac Cache Setting/Location is pointing too.  You can change this to something other than your Lightroom directory.  Tlhe default is as shown in the following screen grab.

Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 1.34.13 PM.png

• 2. Re: Mysterious Lightroom folder files.
            seanvee Level 1

Thank you so much for your speedy response Bob-

I went ahead and looked to see if I was pointing the cache to that location. I found that the cache is pointed to a local folder on my boot drive... Odd!

With that said, is it safe to go ahead and delete the cache files within my Lightroom folder and then point LR to a new location, most likely a folder within my LR folder instead of just dropped in the main directory of the folder.

Also, by looking at the correct cache folder on my boot drive, I see that the only file type within this folder are ".DAT" files. So I'm not sure what those other files that appear in the second screenshot I put in my original post are. Can you help me clear out anything I don't need?

Thank you so much.

• 4. Re: Mysterious Lightroom folder files.
              Bob Somrak Level 5

In you screenshot, the cache folder is pointing to the correct DEFAULT cache location. I would make it bigger than 1GB though, at least 10GB.  I'm not sure where the Raw cache is when you have the Library on an external drive as you do.    I have never seen some of the files you have mentioned   Maybe one of the experts can chime in with answers.

• 5. Re: Mysterious Lightroom folder files.
                seanvee Level 1

Bob-

Thank you. I successfully moved my cache file and changed the size of my cache allowance (the latter being your rec). I haven't run into any problems after clearing out the cache files that were in the root folder of my Lightroom folder.

Now, I'm on to clearing out the other files that are highlighted in the photo below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Screen_Shot_2014-10-16_at_9_54_46_PM.jpg

• 6. Re: Mysterious Lightroom folder files.
                  Bob Somrak Level 5

You can definately remove the Lr2 and 4 Catalog and Catalog.Previews files if you are ABSOLUTELY positive you have upgraded them and no longer need them.  The Temporary Import and TemporaryRepairCatalog are files I have never seen but these are probably safe to remove also.  What is in the Corrupt Catalogs folder? If this is no longer needed because you have repaired your catalog than you should be able to remove it also.  You could move all these files to a different folder temporarly and see if Lr runs fine.  If so then delete them.  I'm glad this is working for you.

• 7. Re: Mysterious Lightroom folder files.
                    seanvee Level 1

I haven't used LR2 or LR4 in forever, so I'm going to assume it's fine to delete those. Like you said, I'm going to move them and see what happens.

If I run into any trouble I'll check back in, but I'm going to assume that everything will be just fine!

• 8. Re: Mysterious Lightroom folder files.
                      seanvee Level 1

Everything worked out fine , thanks Bob!

• 9. Re: Mysterious Lightroom folder files.
                        Bob Somrak Level 5

You should be able to get rid of the CACHE and CORRUPT CATALOGS folders out of the Lightroom Folder also