3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2007 10:34 PM by redbarron

Publisher users can't access pages because "user is editing it" - but they aren't!  wtf?

Level 7
      Man, if it isn't one thing, it's another....

I've got DW8.0.2 and the Studio 8 suite.
      I've created a site in DW and have enabled Contribute compatibility. My
      client has Contribute 3.
      I have enabled File Check in & File Check Out.
      I have enabled Check Out Files when Opening.
      When I click the "Administer Site in Contribute" button I see myself, listed
      as the Administrator, and my client, listed as a Publisher but my client
      cannot access/edit any pages due to an error which greys out the Edit button
      and tells them that the page is locked because I am editing the page - only
      thing is, I'm not editing the page. In fact I don't even have Contribute OR
      DW open!! :o(

Is this a known bug with Contribute? It's driving me, and more importantly,
      my client MAD because we had mistakenly assumed that connecting to a site
      via Contribute was going to be easy.

We've tried re-sending the connection key etc, but nothing has solved this
      riddle so far and I can't work out what the problem is. Is there a corrupt
      file, perhaps, on the server that is telling all other users that I'm
      editing a page, even when I'm not? I can't see a file.

I would appreciate any advice offered, thanks.
      Regards
      nath.

• 1. Re: Publisher users can't access pages because "user is editing it" - but they aren't!  wtf?
          Sara_Brooks
          Hi,
          That was on my site when I was using Contribute. It said that "Doug C" was in my site and editing, but I knew that my webmaster, Doug, was not! So I clicked on his name, and it said that if I want to edit I should click (something . . .can't remember) and that would eliminate his connection. Not sure what the heck was going on, but I clicked him off and never had anymore trouble. If you just read it - it will stay there. Tell your client to click on it. See if its as easy for him as it was for me.

Sara Brooks
          Madison, WI

P.S. I have a question up there, too. Just put it on under sarabroo@charter.net. Any ideas??
          • 2. Re: Publisher users can't access pages because "user is editing it" - but they aren't!  wtf?
            Level 7
            Thanks Sara,

Whenever I update a page in Dreamweaver, it locks the file, even when I've
            finished the update, closed DW, shut down computer, gone out to walk the
            dog....it still tells the other users that it's being edited! In my copy of
            Contribute, a box appears above the page, with a "this page is
            locked...click to edit", but the other users are, apparently, not seeing
            this option?

It has got me stumped to be honest so, every time I make a change to a page
            in DW, I have to go in to Contribute, unlock the page, and then e-mail the
            other users to tell them I've done that....what an absolute pain! :o(

Nath.

"Sara Brooks" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:euetqm$4h2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hi,
            > That was on my site when I was using Contribute. It said that "Doug C"
            > was in
            > my site and editing, but I knew that my webmaster, Doug, was not! So I
            > clicked
            > on his name, and it said that if I want to edit I should click (something
            > . .
            > .can't remember) and that would eliminate his connection. Not sure what
            > the
            > heck was going on, but I clicked him off and never had anymore trouble.
            > If you
            > just read it - it will stay there. Tell your client to click on it. See
            > if
            > its as easy for him as it was for me.
            >
            > Sara Brooks
            > Madison, WI
            >
            > P.S. I have a question up there, too. Just put it on under
            > sarabroo@charter.net. Any ideas??
            >

• 3. Re: Publisher users can't access pages because &quot;user is editing it&quot; - but they aren't!  wtf?
              redbarron Level 1
              I may have more information that might help. We have a large site and this sort of thing tends to happen often. However, I'm the ONLY one who is using DW to edit the site (everyone else is in Contribute), and I only edit pages that NO ONE else is editing (via Contribute). All my user roles are set up to edit only files in certain folders...none of which are mine. I notice in DW that the files I edit are marked as LOCKED on the server and this is due to the check-in/out process, and indeed anyone trying to edit any of those pages will get a warning box at the top of the screen (in Contribute) saying the page is locked because I'm editing it. Well, I'm not editing it at that moment (even though I don't have a dog to walk) but the lock remains just the same. Only the Administrator (in Contribute) will see a link option to remove the lock on any page in that yellow warning box at the top; regular publishers will only see the warning.

So...my suggestion is that you'll probably have to restrict yourself to using only Contribute to edit pages that OTHER folks may have permission to edit, and using only DW to edit pages that other folks will NOT be editing. Make sense? That way, if someone wants to edit a page, they won't see the lock warning because you'll have published the page which removes the lock. Of course if you click "Save for Later", the lock will remain (more on this below). Either way, you'll need to have some organization as to which files are being edited by whom, and in your "Roles" definitions (in Admin), you can restrict your "Publisher" user to a specific folder (not file) of web files if necessary.

Just a couple of notes from the trenches:

1. It is important that all publishers (including you) remember to "dispose" of a draft in Contribute by either publishing or canceling the draft. These are the only 2 actions that will remove the lock on the file. If someone opens a draft copy to work on a page and inadvertently closes Contribute without doing something with the draft, or clicks "Send for Review" or "Save for Later", the lock will remain until you ask them to re-open the draft and dispose of it or you click the "Click here to unlock the file" link in the yellow warning box. If folks follow this simple work-flow rule, you'll minimize the occurrence of locked files.

2. You can use this process to "protect" your pages--preventing others from accidentally editing them in Contribute. Just publish your latest-greatest, then when the page re-opens in browse mode, just click Edit (again) and then click "Save for Later". Then close Contribute. Voila! Your page is locked and anyone trying to edit it will see the warning.

Hope all this helps.........

peter