9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2014 10:40 AM by A.T. Romano

APE 11 Frozen Effects and Transitions Menus

Phil.com Level 1

APE 11 Vista PC

I just had to move my APE to another Vista PC. Now for some reason the panels with all the Transitions and Effects on them are frozen. They scroll off the top of the screen and I can't move them.

Any one have a clue as to what is happening and how I get back my scrolling Transitions and Effects.

Thank you for anything you can offer.

Cheers and Peace! Phil

• 1. Re: APE 11 Frozen Effects and Transitions Menus
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil

They scroll off the top of the screen and I can't move them.

What happens, you click on fx Effects, it opens, you pick a category, and, when you start to scroll through the list, everything freezes....or is it only the fx Effects area that freezes. Anything that would be helpful to see in a screenshot?

Does the problem hit Titles & Text, Music, and Graphics Tabs as well?

Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled?

What do the computer resources of this Vista looks like and is the video card/graphics card up to date according

to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

What were the problems on the other Vista computer that necessitated the move to this other Vista computer?

Depending on your answers, we could look at

a. Deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if necessary, the whole 11.0 Folder in which it exists

or

b. Deactivation, Uninstall, free ccleaner run through, reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

More details later, depending on your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: APE 11 Frozen Effects and Transitions Menus
            Phil.com Level 1

Hi ATR thanks for getting back to me,

What happens, you click on fx Effects, it opens, you pick a category, and, when you start to scroll through the list, everything freezes....or is it only the fx Effects area that freezes. Anything that would be helpful to see in a screenshot?

It is only the Transitions and Effects areas that freeze

Does the problem hit Titles & Text, Music, and Graphics Tabs as well? No

Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled? I will have to check that

What do the computer resources of this Vista looks like and is the video card/graphics card up to date according

to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? I will have to check that

What were the problems on the other Vista computer that necessitated the move to this other Vista computer? The hard drive crashes. All my video projects are on a external drive. That is how I can use them on another computer.

I also tested with all programs closed and then again after a full re boot. No difference.

Thanks for your help. APE Screen.png

• 3. Re: APE 11 Frozen Effects and Transitions Menus
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil

Thanks for the follow up.

I would like to see the video card/graphics card information when you get a chance

a. name of card, version, date

and whether or not up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card

b. please confirm via Device Manager/Display Adapters if the computer uses 1 or 2 video cards/graphics cards, what they are, and dating.

Are you using Vista 32 or 64 bit?

It is probably a good idea to rule in or out any help we can get from Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (or its 11.0 Folder) deletion.

I am not sure where to find these based on the information that I have about your computer, but in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 11.0 Folder in which

the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you

can see the whole path cited.

We need to get a good idea of the computer resources, especially 32 vs 64 bit, installed vs available RAM, and free hard drive space.

My first target is that video card/graphics card. Have you ever used this current Vista for Premiere Elements 11 before?

ATR

Add On...what are the properties of your source media? Brand/model/settings of camera that recorded the video should give us enough information on that.

• 4. Re: APE 11 Frozen Effects and Transitions Menus
                Phil.com Level 1

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I am trying to get my crashed hard drive repaired or get the computer replaced and get this video project edited. My workaround on not being able to access transitions is using fade in and fade out a lot.

I am running on a Dell inspiron laptop 32 bit
                Video Card: ATI Radon X 1270, I have the latest drivers
                Hard drive is 150 gig with 16 gig free
                I deleted the APE Prefs file and it did not change anything. I hesitate deleting anything until I am completely done with this project.

Cheers! Phil

• 5. Re: APE 11 Frozen Effects and Transitions Menus
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil

From what I am reading of your details, you are in a very low computer resource situation....the hard drive space of 16 GB is bad news.

Where are your Premiere Elements 11 Scratch Disks directed - to the drive with 16 GB free space?

On Windows 32 bit, your Premiere Elements 11 is running as a 32 bit application with all the resource limitations of a 32 bit system,

including max supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which 3 GB of that or less are available. And, then I would ask "Does this computer

have 4 GB RAM installed or is there a lesser amount of installed RAM?"

If this is a computer resource/Premiere Elements issue, then

a. free up as much hard drive space as possible, especially at the location(s) where the Scratch Disks are directed

b. if you do not have 4 GB RAM installed, increase the total installed RAM to 4 GB (maybe you have a suitable RAM module

from another computer?).

c. run the free ccleaner (regular and registry cleaner parts)

d. not sure if you can take the Virtual Memory set out of the hands of Windows and do a manual set

Please review and consider and then let me know if I have interpreted your details correctly.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: APE 11 Frozen Effects and Transitions Menus
                    Phil.com Level 1

Sorry I think I left out a valuable piece of information. All my project files are on an external 1Tb drive with 245

gig free.

Cheers! Phil

• 7. Re: APE 11 Frozen Effects and Transitions Menus
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil

Great news that you have access to more free hard drive space than the originally thought 16 GB. But,

on the other side, is there any indication that the external hard drive might be malfunctioning? Do you have

another internal hard drive with good amount of free space that you could use to explore that possibility (with a disconnect of the external hard

drive)?

What about the installed and available RAM? Any low memory messages in any of this?

How are the repairs on the other computer coming along?

ATR

• 8. Re: APE 11 Frozen Effects and Transitions Menus
                        Phil.com Level 1

I think it is time to close this thread. I did manage to wok trough the TV show I was editing even though I was not able to access some of APE features. I hope to be on a new computer for my next edit project.

This laptop has only 2 gig of Ram, My new computer will have 12gig.

We may be able to save the crashed drive I had but it is six years old and I will be replacing it and the computer.

Thanks for your kind help.

Cheers and Peace! Phil.

• 9. Re: APE 11 Frozen Effects and Transitions Menus
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil

Thanks for the closing comments to this thread.

Just a note...if you have Premiere Elements 11 Windows specifically on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, you will be working

with the 64 bit application in a 64 bit system which can support more than 4 GB RAM installed.

Best wishes

ATR