8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2014 3:10 PM by JJMack

Can I get upgrade/technical support advice?

Ingadavida

Running Photoshop CS4 on Mac 10.9.4 ....  Program is fine for me except that it has become impossibly buggy.  Artist (poor kind) and need the least expensive solution.  Can I upgrade to CS6?  Get phone support of CS5?  Any suggestions welcome.

Some of problems:  Program crashes under various circumstances (ie moving layers).  Won't print.

Have tried resetting the photoshop cs4 preferences and repairing disk permissions.

• 1. Re: Can I get upgrade/technical support advice?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

No CS5 can be upgraded to CS6, CS4 can not be upgraded at all.   If CS4 use to work well for you. You could try using Adobe cleaner  remove Adobe's software and then re-install CS4. Use the CC Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems | CC, CS3-CS6

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can I get upgrade/technical support advice?
            Arpit Kapoor Adobe Employee

You might face compatibility issues with CS4 on Mac 10.9.4. You can very well upgrade to CS6 but will not get any phone or chat support for it. However, can get help over this Adobe Community.

You can get CS6 from Creative Suite 6

If you want to switch to Creative Cloud, this is all you need. https://creative.adobe.com/plans

Cheers!

~ Arpit

• 3. Re: Can I get upgrade/technical support advice?
              Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

Adding to what Arpit said, the Creative Cloud Photography plan is the most bang for the buck, IMHO, especially if all you need is Photoshop (plus you get Lightroom to boot) and you get any and all updates and new features as they're released. Failing the zombie apocalypse and Adobe disappearing off the face of the earth, you'll be future-proofed.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can I get upgrade/technical support advice?
                Ingadavida Level 1

good tip!!  I'll try Adobe Cleaner!

thank you !  (hoping that helps, i have re-installed to no avail..... maybe adobe cleaner will help)

• 5. Re: Can I get upgrade/technical support advice?

You can get CS6 a full version not an Upgrade from CS4 If you have CS5 you can upgrade.  The upgrades are $200 and $400 where the full versions are $700 and $1000 Standard and Extended.  The creative Cloud Photographers Subscription is $10 a month and IMO a good deal. I have been using Photoshop for 20 years and purchases most  upgrades then Adobe change upgrade policy and required you to purchase all upgrades to be eligible to upgrade.  IMO the $10 a month lowered my cost and if I had a need I can also install Lightroom.  Adobe is removing more and more thing from Photoshop and Bridge. Some of which is either in Lightroom or something similar may be.  Bridge output module is now an optional download and the export panel was removed in Bridge CC.

I do not particularly like Adobe Photoshop Web direction but understand it and Improvements  in image processing is still happen in Adobe Raw conversion engine and ACR.  No one uses all of Photoshop features any way.  What bugs me most are Adobe careless bugs.  Adobe does not test code as well as the should before releasing it. Bugs go unfixed release after release and Adobe is not maintaining Photoshop compatibility.  You now need to keep old version of Photoshop installed as a safety net. For feature and support are being removed and bugs keep slipping out.

Even if you content with CS4 or CS3 time marches on machines age and brake.   So I pay monthly....

• 6. Re: Can I get upgrade/technical support advice?
                    Ingadavida Level 1

Really really appreciate the honest thoughts.  I'm an artist (not the money making kind so wish wish wish I could just keep my CS4 going awhile longer... I've gotten some tips on trying to do that.  I'm sure I'm going to have to eventually go with the cloud.  It look like they are squeezing us into that corner.  But a monthly fee adds up to a lot of money over time.

Thanks again, I really appreciate you're taking the time.

Inga

S M I '

-

• 7. Re: Can I get upgrade/technical support advice?
                      Arpit Kapoor Adobe Employee

JJMack, sorry for the confusion. You are correct. We cannot upgrade to CS6 from CS4. We need atleast CS5. I was actually talking about CS5 only, as he asked about phone support with CS5.

My Bad.

~ Arpit

• 8. Re: Can I get upgrade/technical support advice?

Happens to all of us I can't count the number of errors I made in my life.  Though I was good in math I could never comprehend large numbers.