31 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2015 8:05 AM by Atomickplaygrounds

2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect

reelpictures

There are visual errors in various scripts when using them with the new 2014.1 update. Key example - the 'Immigration' script. A major part of this script's UI is a large white text list area where the user is able to import multiple sequences at the same time.

In 2014.1 this text area is dark grey - almost the same grey colour as the main script bg colour itself, while there is an un-needed white area above the text box. The first time I used the script I couldn't even see the text box.

I didn't see this in the list of known issues for 2014.1. Why was this not picked up on before release? It should not be necessary for 3rd party developers to have to recompile scripts and users to have to update their script libraries for a .1 release!

I am not attempting to be over-the-top negative, I just want my feedback to be heard by the relevant people:

please do not release an update for the software until it's ready. Trying to use 2014.1 is a real mess with all these very noticeable issues! Adobe already has tonnes of people roped into subscription, they are not going to mind waiting a month extra for stability. If it's not recommended to download an update, it shouldn't be announced as 'ready to download'. It should be labeled 'beta pre-release'.

• 1. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/09/after-effects-cc-2014-1-13-1.html

• Because some scripts that create ScriptUI panels have not been updated to accommodate the new user interface design, some of these scripts may appear wrong with the new UI skin. If this occurs with a script that you use, you can make an individual ScriptUI panel appear using the old UI skin by enabling the Use Legacy UI option in the panel menu for the ScriptUI panel.

Note that the panel menu is now on the panel tab, not in the upper-right corner of the panel.

use legacy UI.png

• 2. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
            mnarlock Level 1

I had thought this would be the answer to my own issue, but sadly it is not. I have a script that has 10 buttons on it, in two columns. The dockable script, no matter in legacy mode or not, now cuts off the bottom two buttons and clips the right column. I've also noticed this behavior in some of Conform Studios scripts that I also use. The funny thing is, the panels render properly on my desktop, which was upgraded from 2014 to 2014.1, but on my laptop where 2014.1 was installed natively, they do not.

Any thoughts? Below is my code.

function runScript(thePath){

$.evalFile(File(thePath));

}          

function clickBtn550(){

var thePath2 = File($.fileName).path + "/Dome3D/domemaster_overlay_550.jsxbin";

runScript(thePath2);

}

function clickBtn1024(){

var thePath2 = File($.fileName).path + "/Dome3D/domemaster_overlay_1024.jsxbin";

runScript(thePath2);

}

function clickBtn1408(){

var thePath2 = File($.fileName).path + "/Dome3D/domemaster_overlay_1408.jsxbin";

runScript(thePath2);

}

function clickBtn1536(){

var thePath2 = File($.fileName).path + "/Dome3D/domemaster_overlay_1536.jsxbin";

runScript(thePath2);

}

function clickBtn1920(){

var thePath2 = File($.fileName).path + "/Dome3D/domemaster_overlay_1920.jsxbin";

runScript(thePath2);

}

function clickBtn2048(){

var thePath2 = File($.fileName).path + "/Dome3D/domemaster_overlay_2048.jsxbin";

runScript(thePath2);

}

function clickBtn2560(){

var thePath2 = File($.fileName).path + "/Dome3D/domemaster_overlay_2560.jsxbin";

runScript(thePath2);

}

function clickBtn4096(){

var thePath2 = File($.fileName).path + "/Dome3D/domemaster_overlay_4096.jsxbin";

runScript(thePath2);

}

function clickBtn8192(){

var thePath2 = File($.fileName).path + "/Dome3D/domemaster_overlay_8192.jsxbin";

runScript(thePath2);

}

function clickBtnHELP(){

var thePath2 = File($.fileName).path + "/Dome3D/domemaster_overlay_help.jsxbin";

runScript(thePath2);

}

function myScript(thisObj){

function myScript_buildUI(thisObj){

var myPal = (thisObj instanceof Panel) ? thisObj : new Window("palette", "DomeMaster Overlay", undefined, {resizeable:true});

var myResource = "group{orientation:'row', alignment:['fill', 'fill'], alignChildren:['fill', 'fill'],\

groupOne: Group{orientation:'column',alignment:['fill', 'fill'], alignChildren:['fill', 'fill'],\

myButton550: Button{text:'550'},\

myButton1024: Button{text:'1024'},\

myButton1408: Button{text:'1408'},\

myButton1536: Button{text:'1536'},\

myButton1920: Button{text:'1920'},\

},\

groupTwo: Group{orientation:'column',alignment:['fill', 'fill'], alignChildren:['fill', 'fill'],\

myButton2048: Button{text:'2048'},\

myButton2560: Button{text:'2560'},\

myButton4096: Button{text:'4096'},\

myButton8192: Button{text:'8192'},\

myButtonHELP: Button{text:'HELP'},\

},\

}";

myPal.grp = myPal.add(myResource);

//Setup Panel Sizing

myPal.layout.layout(true);

myPal.grp.minimumSize = myPal.grp.size;

//Make the Panel resizable

myPal.layout.resize();

myPal.onResizing = myPal.onResize = function(){this.layout.resize()}

//Click Buttons

myPal.grp.groupOne.myButton550.onClick = clickBtn550;

myPal.grp.groupOne.myButton1024.onClick = clickBtn1024;

myPal.grp.groupOne.myButton1408.onClick = clickBtn1408;

myPal.grp.groupOne.myButton1536.onClick = clickBtn1536;

myPal.grp.groupOne.myButton1920.onClick = clickBtn1920;

myPal.grp.groupTwo.myButton2048.onClick = clickBtn2048;

myPal.grp.groupTwo.myButton2560.onClick = clickBtn2560;

myPal.grp.groupTwo.myButton4096.onClick = clickBtn4096;

myPal.grp.groupTwo.myButton8192.onClick = clickBtn8192;

myPal.grp.groupTwo.myButtonHELP.onClick = clickBtnHELP;

return myPal;

}

var myScriptPal = myScript_buildUI(thisObj);

if((myScriptPal != null) && (myScriptPal instanceof Window)){

myScriptPal.center();

myScriptPal.show();    

}

}

myScript(this);

• 3. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
              mnarlock Level 1

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but the laptop is running windows 8.1 and the desktop is running windows 7.

• 4. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                mnarlock Level 1

The legacy interface is not the solution. As I mentioned, in windows 7 the script runs perfectly. In windows 8.1, it does not..regardless of whether or not legacy ui is selected. The script is fine, I feel. There's something else at play here.

• 5. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                  mnarlock Level 1

This is not the correct reply for my issue I'm afraid. I believe it to be a windows 7 vs windows 8.1 issue. The script runs fine, in either legacy ui or the new one, but on windows 8.1 it appears wrong...no matter the ui chosen.

• 6. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                    UQg Level 4

It's not obvious what your problem is. Do you mean that however you stretch the script window, the 2nd column never shows up nor the last two rows ? Maybe post a screenshot.

And what happens if you dont use the autolayout, but set the locations/sizes by hand ?

Xavier

• 7. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                      mnarlock Level 1

Well, I think I've discovered, partially, the issue. It is centered around the latest update 13.1.1.3? At any rate, I uninstalled AE CC 2014 and re-installed it, but cancelled the update when it tried to install and all works well. So basically I'm using AE CC 2014 (which is version 13.0...the one without he new interface) and the scripts display properly. If I install 13.1.13 or whatever the latest version is, the scripts do NOT display properly on Win 8.1...on Win 7 they do just fine. So it appears there is some bug with win 8.1 and the latest version of AE.

aecc2014.jpg

aecc2014.1.jpg

• 8. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                        robinsonfrese Level 1

This does not solve the issue. Almost all of my scripts with UI panels (pretty much any script that automatically resizes itself) does not work. Something about resizing in 2014.1 causes the script to size itself too large. It's very frustrating. Some of my script panels are now unusable. Using Legacy UI does nothing to fix this.

Look at the below images for the Duik script.

At a small size, it cuts off parts of it and is not centered.

At a larger size, the buttons in the top right are completely moved off to the side and are no longer clickable.

I'm using Legacy UI in these photos.

duik size 1 legacy.jpgduik size 2 legacy.jpg

• 9. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                          mnarlock Level 1

Well at least I'm not alone in seeing this issue. I really don't know what it could be. It does seem, at least for me, to be centered around windows 8.1 and AE.

• 10. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                            mnarlock Level 1

Anyone have any idea what the issue is here? I think it has something to do with Win 8.1. Anyone else with any thoughts? Anyone from Adobe???

• 11. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect

The After Effects team is working on this problem, but I don't have much info to share. It is specific to Windows 8.1, and we're still investigating.

• 12. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                                mnarlock Level 1

Tim, I'm grateful for the response and the information. It's satisfying to know that it's a"known" issue and not me losing my mind

• 13. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                                  Arie Stavchansky Level 2

Tim, thanks for letting us know Adobe is looking into it.  I am also experiencing the problem.  However, I don't think it's related directly to Windows 8.1, but rather how Adobe's new UI paradigm takes advantage of Windows' HiDPI monitor feature.  I have a Parallels Virtual Machine running Windows 8.1 and the script looks great in that, but some users are reporting the "over extending" of the Panel's UI elements.  Since the VM does not show any issues, and the customers who have reported the problem have all mentioned that they have HiDPI monitors, I'm thinking it is related specifically to that.  Regardless of the cause, I think we are all definitely looking forward to a fix.

--Arie

• 14. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                                    robinsonfrese Level 1

This is definitely not limited to Windows 8.1 -- I'm using Windows 7 and the pictures I posted above were from a Windows 7 machine.

I have since downgraded to After Effects CC 2014 (13.0) because of this issue.

• 15. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect

Yes, this may be a HiDPI issue, as opposed to Windows 8.1 in general. As mentioned, we're still investigating.

Robin, you hadn't previously specified your OS, so we had assumed you were on Windows 8.1 like other posts on this thread. So far we have only reproduced the problem on Windows 8.1 and not on Windows 7 (which has been part of the confusion for us). If you reproduce this on on Windows 7, please provide more data about your display settings so we can incorporate your configuration into our investigation.

• 16. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                                        mnarlock Level 1

Any update on this?

• 17. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect

mnarlock wrote:

Any update on this?

No update to share at this time.

• 18. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                                            davidmcotter Level 1

Sorry this took so long.  I've fixed it, and it should be in the next release.

-davec

• 19. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Thanks for the update, Dave.

• 20. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                                                mnarlock Level 1

So what ended up being the culprit?

• 21. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                                                  davidmcotter Level 1

just not accounting for HiDPI / Retina resolution

• 22. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                                                    slovill Level 1

Is there an estimated time for delivering the update?

I've been running the scripts as non-ui so they appear correctly, but moving these non-dock-able windows around the screen is a pain.

My display info: (2) Asus Pro Art PA279 @2560x1440 on a Quadro K4200 (4GB DDR5) Display Ports. Add'l GTX 980 (4GB DDR5) w/no monitors for extra CUDA juice. Both cards running nVidia  347.25 driver. Win7Pro SP1 64bit.

System specs in profile if needed.

• 23. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The update is targeted for this spring.

• 24. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                                                        robinsonfrese Level 1

Sorry I didn't respond to the earlier post, Todd.

Yes, I was able to recreate this issue on Windows 7 -- all non-stock ScriptUI's suffered from this issue, and the above solution ("use legacy ui") did nothing to solve it. Since Script UI's are an integral part of my use of AE, and since this rendered all Script UI's useless (buttons would be in areas that you couldn't click/reach) I downgraded to the previous AE version (yellow highlights instead of blue highlights) and have been using that version since, and also did not upgrade my Mac because of this issue.

• 25. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                                                          robinsonfrese Level 1

( the above posted before I finished writing it, although all I was saying was -- )

Can't wait for the new version! Can't wait to finally be able to use it (and to get rid of that annoying audio scrubbing memory leak that plagued the old version). Thanks for all your hard work guys!

• 26. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                                                            mnarlock Level 1

I have updated to 13.2 and the issue with the dockable panels still exists. I even tried it on a fresh install of windows 8.1 and fresh install of 13.2 on a laptop.

• 27. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                                                              Atomickplaygrounds

For these with the "legacy ui" not working and I believe I've found a workaround for windows 8.1.

Tim, it seems that the issue is not exactly the resolution but the size of the text, in my case (lenovo y50-70 windows 8.1) when reduced the size of the text to a minimum, all the script panel boxes resize as they should, then I have to adapt the resolution to a point where I can read the text.

My screen is now 2048x1152 and AE CC 2014 displays as it should.

Not ideal, but it allows to work while the fixing update comes.

Hope it helps.

• 28. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                                                                mnarlock Level 1

Are others still experiencing this issue? I am and it's befuddling. If it's just me I guess I'll chock it up to video drivers or some such, but I'm still seeing it on Win 8.1 using an Nvidia card on an Asus laptop.

• 29. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                                                                  Arie Stavchansky Level 2

Yes, I've seen this happen in CC 2015 on Windows 8.1 with HiDPI monitors.  Maybe the fix will come in a patch?

—Arie

• 30. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                                                                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We fixed some high-DPI issues for scripts in v13.5.0, and we have more fixes on the way, targeted for a release within a few months.

• 31. Re: 2014.1 - Appearance of scripts is incorrect
                                                                      Atomickplaygrounds Level 1

Haven't experienced again since I left the screen at 2048x1152. Not even in CC2015. Did you tried to reduce the screen resolution??

Cheers