7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2014 6:41 PM by A.T. Romano

Tools for kerning & tracking, PRE 12.

Help me Al

Not able to find tools for kerning & tracking when making titles, PRE 12, can someone help?

• 1. Re: Tools for kerning & tracking, PRE 12.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Al

Titler kerning and leading were last seen in Premiere Elements 10. Adobe has removed them in versions 11, 12, and now recent version 13.

This earlier thread discusses the situation and some of the contributors suggested workarounds.

Premiere Elements 11 Titles - Can text kearning and leading be adjusted?

ATR

• 2. Re: Tools for kerning & tracking, PRE 12.
            Help me Al Level 1

A.T.

Sorry for not getting back to you, I got lost in some other work. Thank you for your info about the program. It helped me make the choice to reload PRE 10.

Thanks again, Al

• 3. Re: Tools for kerning & tracking, PRE 12.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Al

Thanks for the reply.

Premiere Elements 10 is a good version and can be a 64 bit application when run specifically on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

The only downside to 10 that I see is if your computer uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card. That is bad news unless

you can manage with the driver version rolled back to May 2013 in order for Premiere Elements 10 to display properly.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have questions or need clarification.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 4. Re: Tools for kerning & tracking, PRE 12.
                Help me Al Level 1

A.T.,

Thanks again.  I’m running Windows 7 64 bit with 32 mgs of ram and an intel  I7 CPU and  Intel graphics HD4000. I have found the program easy to use after a short learning curve and every day I learn something new.

Here is a question, when using video from different  sources, what is the best file format to convert them too before importing them into PRE as I receive video files from different sources, (Iphone, DSLR, and handy cams.)

I was thinking that the files should be in the same format when importing into the program.

Am I thinking correctly?

Al

• 5. Re: Tools for kerning & tracking, PRE 12.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Al

Premiere Elements (any version) allows for one project preset to match the properties of your source media. But, when the source media have different formats, then you need to set priorities. Select one and then fit everything else into that.

Generalization is that you can bring in mixed formats and then scale them to the priority project settings as reflected in the space in the Edit area monitor established by setting the project preset.

Less considerations if source media are the same, but doable in most cases if not.

If the priorities decision involves a project with video and stills, I typically go with the properties of the video and then resize or crop resize the photos to the video display.

Interlaced video can introduce some challenges. I would target for progressive video instead.

Often the cell phone video needs to be converted before import to change its variable frame rate to a constant one because of

a. out of sync audio

b. file will not import at all

Some formats are problematic

Xvid.avi

AVCHD.avi

MotionJPEG.avi

DV AVI type 1 instead of type 2

In such cases, you may be forced into conversion for them before import

But, if you get into a situation where you could use of second opinion on Premiere Elements workflow details,

please do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: Tools for kerning & tracking, PRE 12.
                    Help me Al Level 1

Hi AT,

Thank you for your answer, but I am still unclear on a format to convert the video before importing in to the final project. Which format do you believe is best for keeping the best quality. Based on my thoughts, the larger the file size after the conversion, the better the quality or sharpness when I plan to  use pan and zoom, or change image size to give the effect of a second camera shot.     

MPEG 4  M2T H264

MPEG HDTV 1080P

AVI

WM HD 720P

I am keeping in mind your suggestion to use progressive format.

Thanks, Al

• 7. Re: Tools for kerning & tracking, PRE 12.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Al

Some thoughts for us to compare notes on.

You should not need to convert your videos into another format before import into Premiere Elements.

You say that you will have video from iphone (probably 1080p), from DSLR (probably 1080p), and handy cam (probably 1080i).

I would set up a project with the project preset of

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p@29.97

Then import the iphone video, DSLR video, and handy cam footage.

You should get excellent results exporting that to a file

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

Please let me know if I am overlooking an important part of your question since your wrote

.... but I am still unclear on a format to convert the video before importing in to the final project. Which format do you believe is best for keeping the best quality. Based on my thoughts, the larger the file size after the conversion, the better the quality or sharpness when I plan to  use pan and zoom, or change image size to give the effect of a second camera shot.     

MPEG 4  M2T H264

MPEG HDTV 1080P

AVI

WM HD 720P

I think that what you wrote earlier may go to this point

when using video from different  sources, what is the best file format to convert them too before importing them into PRE as I receive video files from different sources, (Iphone, DSLR, and handy cams.)

I was thinking that the files should be in the same format when importing into the program.

Am I thinking correctly?

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR