2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2007 11:51 AM by solostruggle

Setting up Users - Best Practices

hildeL
      Hi there. We are a large organization with a website consisting of over 40,000 pages. We have multiple users who need access to various parts of the website. We have discovered different methods of setting them up in Contribute but wonder if one method is better than the others.

1. Create a separate new connection for each portion of the site. This, unfortunately, makes it impossible to share CSS layout files, images, and library items at the root of the website.

2. Create a single connection to the server and create mutliple roles - most likely named by the user's name - that limits directory access. Worried this might create an unwieldly list of users. This opens up shared assets, though, which will help with maintaining site standards.

We also tried creating a single connection to the server and creating new roles - named according to which directory was being given access to - but quickly discovered that a user can only be assigned to one role.

Has anyone else run across this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Setting up Users - Best Practices
          redbarron Level 1
          Well, I definitely think that if you're going to maintain any level of sanity to your web file organization, you'll have to set up roles according to logical groupings and then assign folks to those roles. I would not mess with creating a variety of connections because that could easily turn into an authentication nightmare. Stick to one encrypted connection.

The nature of your business organization should dictate how those role groups are created, for example a role for HR, Finance or Sales with a corresponding folder on the site. But it might be possible to do the opposite and create roles based on how your website is organized. For example, you might have a "Sales" section on your web site that folks from different departments need to have edit access to, and another section on your site that deals with "Administration" that may necessitate adding folks from, again, different departments within the organization. This is a bit opposite of the normal routine of setting up role groups based on the groups that already exist in the organization (HR, Finance, Sales, etc.).

For us, it was fairly easy to create the groups because we're a school system and the site is organized by school sites.

It would be great if folks could be assigned to multiple roles, but it could get messy with the "cascading" of permissions (i.e. permissions in this role but NOT in that role, however the second role is a sub-group of role one....see what I mean?).

In the end, you may just need to graph out the type of organization you need in order to meet the needs of the site and/or organization. Then replicate that in how you set up roles in CPS. Hope this helps!
          • 2. Re: Setting up Users - Best Practices
            solostruggle
            Hello,

I have opted for the one connection key method. The primary reason for this is that the Simple File Deployer that came with CPS will only show published items for each connection. If you have a site with 80 subsites it is totally impractical to have multiple connections within the deployer.

However, there are severe draw backs to doing it this way because the "Send for Review" function breaks EVERYWHERE with server side includes are set in an application.cfm . This has forced us to write several recursive functions to copy files where needed to be reviewed temporarily. In addition when editing subsites templates are only shown from root and files to be added are shown from root and not a subsite. Keep in my file permissions are set at the directory level.

Adobe when will a more robust enterprise version of Contribute Publishing Server come out?