6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2014 3:18 AM by kanadiou

linearize working space & color rgb

kanadiou Level 1

Hello,

i'm trying to understand all working space options, that i didn't before.

I've read the Color management workflow after effects help.

So i'm working on a project in rec709 working space, but when i turn on linearize working space, i can't manage to find my colors back.

FOr exemple here is my color in photoshop, and after effects with linearize working space turn off :

bfba435b91.jpg

eb3aed1629.jpg

but i turn the option ON, it's the same color rgb numbers, but the displaying color is far form original :

5563b2070a.png

How to find back my original beautiful and deep green, that is now a light fade green ?

• 1. Re: linearize working space & color rgb
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, is your system actually calibrated/ color managed? All of this only makes sense using color management. Otherwise neither PS nor AE have a way of knowing any corrections they must apply to compensate for deviations from the idealized sRGB color space that your monitor may have.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: linearize working space & color rgb
            kanadiou Level 1

I understand :

all my system have to be color managed to match correctly ?

But what about the def output for my client, what green will he see ?

I've read lots of things on internet, but this notion of color management is hard to understand.

• 3. Re: linearize working space & color rgb
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Correct. Linear color is an idealized mathematical model to simplify certain calculations and achieve better color blending. Otherwise everything out there introduces color biases or Gamma skew from camera sensors not being uniformly sensitive across the color spectrum to your monitor's LCD-Backlighting washing out colors. With regards to AE the critical part is to calibrate your monitor and then enable the relevant options for the composition preview. Your client doesn't care for any of this. He will most likely simply work on an uncalibrated monitor and see whatever he sees, no matter how wrong it may look. Or in other words: Once you are using color management, you have to go through with it and use it on every system. Otherwise there is not much point to it beyond linear color space allowing you to work differently in some situations. It's realyl more about your own needs than anything else.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: linearize working space & color rgb
                kanadiou Level 1

ok thank you for this answer.

For the moment, for my works i'd like to work in linear working space for all benefits, but at the moment colors seem really different.

Now i have to find a way to manage linear color in windows. For the moment, i didn't find a way yet.

• 5. Re: linearize working space & color rgb
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Broadcasters (TV and Cable) send color information in the horizontal blanking that any modern receiver can use to make the color from that broadcaster consistent. Video's sent to a computer or mobile device have metadata that some players, most actually, can use to try and manage all kinds of things like frame rate, playback size, and color profile. The bad thing for you as a designer is that in the case of TV's or Computers, or Mobile devices, the user has complete control of how those sets will look so unless the device used to playback your produce is color managed with the same settings your system is using they are going to see something different that you see.

To the same extent this holds true for printing. If you send files to a commercial printer and you do not use their color profiles it's highly unlikely that you will get what you expect. If you e-mail a pdf for a client to print on his office color printer to use as a proof and you're printing on your color managed Epson Professional printer the printed images are going to look different. That's the price we pay for the convince of electronic delivery of media and it will never change as long as we give users control over how their screen will look.

• 6. Re: linearize working space & color rgb
                    kanadiou Level 1

All of that stuff is very complicated. Because as you say, who can tell on which device my client will look my film

In my case, what i didn't understand is why a RGB value is not the same in linear or non linear workspace.

If i copy paste the code, it won't be the good color, but if i import the same color form a psd or ai file, it will look ok.

So if i understood well, in linear, the curve rises from the non linear curve. And colors that are in the middle of the curve rise as well. We have to make it go down if necessary.

So i understand that when you import the file, after interpret in the good way color info.

00b878f6ec.png

8a44ec2c35.png

So for a color created in after, if i want the good color, i found that i have to apply the color profile converter :

448c522f67.png

and it will look the good way

c3e8a54497.png

As i read on other post Re: Question: Linear Workflow in AE CS4 :

"For imported footage, this conversion is automatically done for you, but for values created inside AE there is no way of knowing if you want to enter these as values in a linearized space or in a gamma encoded space."