5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2014 12:56 AM by Henrik L. Hjort

Right click - preview is somehow disabled in CS2014

Henrik L. Hjort Level 1

I have been enjoying the option of right clicking and previewing files without having to open photoshop... But somehow this has been disabled by photoshop so now it open photo shop no matter if I:

Right click - Open

Right click - preview

2x click

How do I enable the windows preview option?

• 1. Re: Right click - preview is somehow disabled in CS2014
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Help me understand what your problem is.  What OS are you running?  Where are you clicking that one right click shows options Open and Preview.  I assume it  in some sort of file list. Normally on a windows machine there are applications associated with file type extensions and I would not expect in an application like Windows file explorer that Photoshop would  be opened for all files types or that the Open and Preview would always be set to the same application.

In fact in windows file explorer a right click may show different option for different file types. All file types may not have an Open and Preview option. Association may also be change on you when you install an application.  On my system many image file type association for Right Click Open and Preview have been set to Photoshop  However .jpg has not for preview open Windows Photo Viewer.  The Windows Control Panel File Association applet only seems to let you set the Open application association.   The whole window file association thing is a spider web where there are many threads and some may be broken. Depend on how many application bumped into the web.

• 2. Re: Right click - preview is somehow disabled in CS2014
            Henrik L. Hjort Level 1

I am on a windows 7 mashine.

I am using the file explorer when I right click

and it is .jpg file I am trying to "preview".

If I change the default program/file association to an other software the peview function works fine. So its only related to Photoshop. It even works with other Adobe software works (Illustrator).

• 3. Re: Right click - preview is somehow disabled in CS2014
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

OK so it is windows related some how jpg preview association has been changed to Photoshop.   That could have been done during an Adobe update however I have all the updates and my machine still open Windows Photo Viewer.   So Its a Windows registry thing.  The window's registry is a maze when it come to file type associations. File types like jpeg can be effected by several keys like .jpg,  jpegfile, jpeg. thi and that.  A quick look in my registry one place I see jpeg associated  with windows photo viewer in in the key area for jpegfile.

Capture.jpg

• 4. Re: Right click - preview is somehow disabled in CS2014
                Henrik L. Hjort Level 1

Well I checked the reg file you point to in your image and I have the exact same data line. So it does not help me very much . There must be a value somewhere in the photoshop registry where it is set to "preview"?

• 5. Re: Right click - preview is somehow disabled in CS2014
                  Henrik L. Hjort Level 1

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling photoshop... No change. Any ideas what I could do?