2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2014 8:10 PM by hotdog10

Retaining local axis in Transform Mode (non-Smart object)

hotdog10 Level 1

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there is any way to track an object's rotation axis something like the difference between Local & Global axes in 3d programs.

I know if I started the transformation as a Smart Objects and keep it as a smart object, it does remember. Is there any other workaround for a non-smart object to retain this information?

Just trying my luck here. Thanks

• 1. Re: Retaining local axis in Transform Mode (non-Smart object)
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

There is a big difference between a  smart object layer and a raster later. Though a smart object layer seems to behave like a raster layer its operation is very different.  The Pixels rendered by Photo do not change they are only acted on. Everything is recorded for the layer each smart object layer has an associated transform.  If you transform the layer again you actually adjusting the recorded transform your not making a new one.  If you transform a raster layer you wind of with a different layer, Pixels may have been deleted or added you do not have access to the old data except in Photoshop history states till it get deleted.  Smart object data is protected and survive even save in a layered document.

• 2. Re: Retaining local axis in Transform Mode (non-Smart object)
            hotdog10 Level 1

Thanks JJMack for the confirmation.