5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2014 4:37 PM by A.T. Romano

Error Message upon adding media Adobe Premiere Elements 12

mattrayl

. The program opens and I'm able to add media to a new project.  Once I move the clip to the timeline I get the error message "Adobe Premiere 12 Has Stopped Working".  I check the update on the video driver and it is current.  This problem happen after I have been using the program successfully to two hours.

• 1. Re: Error Message upon adding media Adobe Premiere Elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mattrayl

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Have you updated 12 to 12.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Update?

If not, please do so.

You wrote

Once I move the clip to the timeline I get the error message

What are the properties of the clip that you mention? If you added the clip to the project first, does the problem occur?

The above are the initial questions that come to mind.

Looking at this further....

Since you wrote

This problem happen after I have been using the program successfully to two hours.

Let us start with how much content (including source media, effects, titles, and transitions) you have on the Timeline at this 2 hour mark when the program stops working? Is there a consistent pattern of what you are doing in the program when this happens? Are you multitasking and running Premiere Elements?

Can you reopen this project? And, if so, how long can you work with it before the program shuts down again?

What is your project preset and the properties of your source media for the project?

Does the problem exist with all your projects or just this one?

We will be watching for answers to these preliminary questions and then we will plan our troubleshooting strategy according to your details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Error Message upon adding media Adobe Premiere Elements 12
            mattrayl Level 1

Hi ATR

I'm using windows ,7 64 bit fully updated.The graphic card drive (intel) is also up to date

I checked updates under help of Premiere, and it reads that all are up to date

It seems that trying to add any type of .avi. causes the program to crash.  If I download in an. mpg4 then the program remains stable.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Error Message upon adding media Adobe Premiere Elements 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

mattrayl

Thanks for the reply.

You should not have any problems importing a DV AVI file into any version of Premiere Elements.

You may not have to verify that based on the answer to my next question.

By any chance are you trying to import a H.264.avi or AVCHD.avi into your project. If so, that is the

problem - that particular format is not supported by Premiere Elements and needs to be converted to

something else like H.264.mp4 or AVCHD.mp4.

What is the brand/model/settings of the camera recording the video that has problems in Premiere Elements.

Please review the above comments and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Error Message upon adding media Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                mattrayl Level 1

I'm downloading clips from you tube using YTD Basic Downloader.  The AVI version that is causing problems is  XVid-4 Codec (AVI).  When I just save as a (or convert to)MPEG-MP4 all works well

• 5. Re: Error Message upon adding media Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mattrayl

Thanks for the very helpful follow up information.

Do not use Xvid.avi in Premiere Elements (any version). Only bad news if you do.

Not all .avi files are created equal. Avi is just the file extension (wrapper/container format that wraps the video

and audio compression). Xvid is the video compression here. For Premiere Elements project keep away for files

that use Xvid video compression.

Also, AVCHD. avi or H.264.avi are not supported by Premiere Elements.

MotionJPEG video compression has its problems with Premiere Elements (any version). But, if it is working for

you as a MotionJPEG.avi or MotionJPEG.mp4 as a video source, then go with it with caution. If you can, please explore H.264.mp4.

But, in the end, go with what works for you consistently.

Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR