4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2007 7:30 PM by jetform_consultant

Sever Newbie wants to try his hand with Dynamic Images

jetform_consultant
      First off, I am a new Flash8 user (less than 3 months).

I've read a lot of posts on how to create a SWF using Dynamic Images, but to tell you the truth...I can't seem to figure it out.

I'd like to recreate the following SWF using my own data as this particular link < http://www.respectsoft.com/weatherclock/get-weather.php> is not always reliable.

I've read that you must convert each image into a movie and then load that movie using the loadmovie. I can PROBABLY figure that part out, but I've tried creating a FLA and inserting a MOVIE image but nothing happens.

Like I said, I am about as green as they come, but we all have to start somewhere.

Any tips / help / links would be GREATLY appreciated.

Ken
        • 1. Re: Sever Newbie wants to try his hand with Dynamic Images
          MotionMaker Level 1
          Add a blank MovieClip to the stage, give it an instance name and then you can load jpegs, gifs and png files as well as swf using MovieClip.loadMovie.

The argument to loadMovie can be a variable. The variable can be dynamically set in Actionscript

You also can use createEmptyMovieClip as you find in many of the Flash help examples.
          • 2. Re: Sever Newbie wants to try his hand with Dynamic Images
            jetform_consultant Level 1
            Hi Lon,

Thanks for your reply.

I am currently playing around with the loadMovie & loadMovieNum commands but am having some control issues that I was hoping you'd be able to help me with.

When I use loadMovie("test.swf",1); the movie starts playing just fine, but I was under the impression that I could then use the setProperty(_level1,_y,225) command to move the movie's position...that is not the case.

I've tried using a movieClip, as you suggested, but the swf I'm using is not on my URL and if I try to start the movie in a local movieClip the .as files that this SWF needs don't get ran and I get nothing when running from the web. Locally it works fine, though.

What I'd like to do is run a collective of SWF's in a single movie, but I'd like to reposition all, or any one of them, after the movie starts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Ken
            • 3. Re: Sever Newbie wants to try his hand with Dynamic Images
              MotionMaker Level 1
              var myClip_mc:MovieClip = this.createEmptyMovieClip("myClip_mc", this.getNextHighestDepth());
              myClip_mc._x = 100;
              myClip_mc._y = 100;
              myClip_mc.loadMovie("test.swf");

Keep in mind with loadMovie or loadMovieNum you cannot know properties dependent on the external swf such as _height and _width. This is because the command is asynchronous with processing the code lines so you do not know when the external movie is loaded. If such timing is needed than you look at MovieClipLoader and probably MovieClipLoader.onLoadInit. Here you will know the external movie is loaded in case you need to call code in it or you need to determine its _height or _width.
              • 4. Re: Sever Newbie wants to try his hand with Dynamic Images
                jetform_consultant Level 1
                Hi Lon,

I tried your suggestion, but it only works locally. When I try it out on the Web, it doesn't work. I believe the reason why is that I am trying to load a SWF from another website. Since SWF's can't execute calls necessary to build the dynamic images...nothing appears.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks again,

Ken

I load the following into a local SWF called "weather.swf" on my website.
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
                var myClip_mc:MovieClip = this.createEmptyMovieClip("myClip_mc", this.getNextHighestDepth());
                myClip_mc.loadMovie(" http://www.respectsoft.com/weatherclock/forecast.swf");
                myClip_mc._x = 100;
                myClip_mc._y = 100;
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------
                In the HTML of my webpage I have

<p align="center"><embed title="What will the weather be for your visit?" src="/Public/weather.swf" quality="high" wmode="transparent" bgcolor="#CC00CC" width="400" height="170" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage=" http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br>
                </p>