11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2014 8:37 PM by A.T. Romano

Premier Elements 12 crashes

mikewallman

Running Windows 8 64 Home current. No new software installed. Video runs 34 minutes. Program runs for anywhere from 5 minutes to hours, then message says program has stopped working. Not running any programs simultaneously except for background apps. I don't know what the conflict running services. 1 terabyte hard drive, 8 gigs RAM.

Does anyone know what I might try?

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 12 crashes
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mikewallman

Do you really mean

No new software installed.

If so, please download and install the latest version of QuickTime. It is an Adobe requirement.

Have you updated 12 to the 12.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Update? If not, please do so.

Other considerations.....

What are the properties of your 34 minute video? Information on the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video might be

a quick way to get at that type of information.

What type of edits, effects, titles, transitions are involved in what is happening for "5 minutes to hours" once you start working in the workspace?

Are you multitasking while running Premiere Elements 12 on your Windows 8 64 bit computer?

Did you install the program to the default location on the Local Disk C?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 12 crashes
            mikewallman Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have updated QuickTime. I have updated the Nvidia driver. I have made sure Elements is 12.1. It worked perfectly for the first 2 weeks of editing. Then, this past week, it would just give me the message Stopped Working. Now, I'm ready to put it on a disk for the first time. Before I do, I render one lat time and it won't even get through that. It's rendering over 8,000 frames. An hour ago, it shut down before it had even put all the pictures in.

I have the finished piece and all the elements in one folder, what if I remove elements 12 altogether and reload the entire program? Will I still have all the elements intact? I have several folders on mydesktop. One folder is Premier Elements Preview Files (PRV). A second folder is called Elements Auto-Save. A third folder is Encoded Files (.prel).

Plus I have the pics, videos, graphics, sound fx and music in another folder with sub-folders. Nw, can I through the Control Panel Programs, delete Elements 12 and then reload it?

Thanks,

mike

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 12 crashes
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Before you do anything, how are you going to reinstall Premiere Elements 12, from installation files downloaded from Adobe or from an installation disc purchased in boxed packaging from an authorized reseller?

Why are all the project's files on the desktop? Why did you move them from the default Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0?

Apparently you have on the desktop

1. Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder

2. Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSaves Folder

3. Encoded Files Folder

Is the project file (project.prel) there also?

I am not clear what your intent was there. Was this your beforehand plan to have all one project and its assets go to one place so that

you can delete it more easily?

And, not sure about "pics, videos, graphics, sound fx and music in another folder."

If you uninstall the program, your projects should survive. Very very important -Just do not move, delete, or rename files and folders that were imported into the project after the project's save close. The project needs to trace back to them at the location where they were when they were first imported into the project. Major headaches here if media are disconnected from the project.

Can you get into the program long enough to get to an opened project and go to Help Menu/Sign Out? If so, do that first. If not, then skip this step.

Then uninstall the program from the Control Panel/Installed Programs area.

Do a free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) to get rid of any leftovers from incomplete installs or uninstalls.

CCleaner - Download

Reinstall the program from installation files or installation disc with the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

(let the program install to the default locations on the Local Disc C).

Once the program is installed, update 12 to the 12. 1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Update.

If you are unsure if you have any questions about the above, please ask for clarification before starting any of the above.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 12 crashes
                mikewallman Level 1

Thank you again for trying to help me out. I never put any of those folders on my desktop. Since I better than to move them, I left them there. I did put my videos/pics/music in one main folder with sub folders. I bought the program from Amazon and downloaded it. I have that file from Amazon.

Since I was having these problems for the past 10 days or so, I began renaming and saving the last four versions of the movie so I could fall back on one of those if something happened to the version I was working on.

I am able to sign out. I'll  reinstall the program after doing the cleaning. By the way, can the program run on two machines? If this next attempt fails, then I'll load it on my laptop. I'm at the point of just wanting to burn a disk.

Thanks,

mike

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 12 crashes
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Thanks for the reply with follow up details. Appreciated.

Reminder ...the project file will go to whatever is set in the Save In in the new project dialog (File Menu/File/New) and the Scratch Disks will go to whatever location(s) is set in Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

The following might create problems if what you did created any source media - project file disconnects. A good safety net is to use the Project Archiver/Copy Project to create a Copied Folder from which to work if you have to.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Archiving projects

Since I was having these problems for the past 10 days or so, I began renaming and saving the last four versions of the movie so I could fall back on one of those if something happened to the version I was working on.

Adobe allows you to use the same purchased activated serial number for the version on no more than 2 of your computers, with the note that the 2 programs are not to be run at the same time.

We will be watching for further developments.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 12 crashes
                    mikewallman Level 1

I removed via the Control Panel Elements 12. I then ran the Cleaner that you suggested. I downloaded the program again from Amazon. I reinstalled it. I then updated to 12.1. I made a few changes to the program, rendered and burned a disk. GREAT. I even created a file for my computer. But wait. When I went back in to make a few audio level changes and change a couple of supers, the program STOPPED WORKING. I tried again, Same thing. I rebooted the computer and the same thing happened two more times. When  I try to render the 8000+ frames, it gets less than half way through and STOPS.

I've tried everything I can think of. I guess now I'll load the program onto my laptop and try to make sure I've moved all the folders as well as the videos, pics and audio folder. Maybe tomorrow after a few more hours I can get it to work. Maybe Windows Movie Maker works better.

mike

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 12 crashes
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Sounded so good until "STOPPED WORKING". Did you try to start a new project or just continue trying to salvage the first project?

We will be looking forward to learning of the outcome when you go through the install process on the laptop.

Are you going to download another set of installation files from Amazon for the install on the laptop or copy/transfer the installation files from the present computer to the laptop for the laptop install of the program?

Let us see what happens. I am not sure if it is going to be worthwhile to download another set of installation files from another web site.

Do you have Movie Maker 2012 installed on your computer or the laptop? If the above fails, try to replicate the project using the Movie Maker 2012 and determine if similar problems occur.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premier Elements 12 crashes
                        mikewallman Level 1

It took 3 weeks to get to this project stage - 99% complete except for a few tweaks. I couldn't start a new project. I kept working with the same project. I have now downloaded the program from Amazon. It's loaded on the laptop. It's a new day and I'm going to try one more time burn a disk on the desktop computer.If it doesn't work, then I'll move files over to the laptop. I know to move the assets over. But, can you tell me which additional folders I need to move over?

Thanks,

mike

• 9. Re: Premier Elements 12 crashes
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

mike

Thanks for the update.

Project file (project.prel) plus connected source media. But, easier said then done.

Your best scenario is probably to archive this computer 1 Premiere Elements 12 project. File Menu/Project Archiver/Copy Project Option.

Transfer the Copied Folder generated and saved in this process to a USB Flash Drive.

Use the USB Flash Drive to transfer the Copied Folder to the other computer with Premiere Elements 12 installed.

In the second computer, open the Copied Folder, right click the project.prel file in the Copied Folder, select Open With,

followed by Premiere Elements 12.

Now here is a consideration if you have a disc menu associated with the computer 1 project....make sure that you

have that particular disc menu theme downloaded and ready for use in computer 2. See Tools/Movie Menu/ and,

in the display of themes, find the theme used and make sure there is no blue ban at the top right corner of its

thumbnail.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Archiving Projects With Disc Menus

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: Premier Elements 12 crashes
                            mikewallman Level 1

I loaded 12 on the laptop running Windows 7 on 64 bit machine. I archived the project from the desktop and opened it on the laptop. I rendered and got as far as burring a disc. I got to 15% along with encoding then ADOBE PREMIER ELEMENT 12 HAS STOPPED WORKING. This is now on the laptop, too.

I saw a blog where someone said he had gotten what was called Premier Elements 12 - Old Version. This is what I downloaded twice from Amazon. Next, I've realized that each time the download occurred, it took nearly and hour and half because the connection getting disrupted. Do you think this program - Old Version and/or downloading the program by stopping and going countless times until it was complete. I have an excellent connection via Time Warner - up to 20mps. If it is a bad copy, I wonder how I can convoke Amazon that it's corrupted.

• 11. Re: Premier Elements 12 crashes
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Why don't you try the Premiere Elements 12 tryout  from the following web site....

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-12-direct-download-links-premiere.html

You can enter your purchased serial number and make it your working copy if all goes well.

It is important that you read and carry out carefully the "Note: Very Important Instructions" on that web page

before you start clicking on the link to the file there. Otherwise you will be facing an Access Denied message.

As always, do the download and install with the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

If this works, you will have a better case dealing with Amazon.

ATR