5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2014 4:51 AM by AnneMarie Concepcion

ePub fixed-layout and graphic effects

Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

New problem, new question! 

Whatever it is, an effect I apply to a block in ID is not reproduced in the fixed layout epub I obtain by export?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: ePub fixed-layout and graphic effects

… To be clearer!

InDesign CC 2014 Mac (OSX 10.9.3):

Capture d’écran 2014-10-16 à 13.06.36.png

iBooks 1.0.1:

Capture d’écran 2014-10-16 à 13.04.44.png

Acrobat Pro XI (Mac, v. 11.0.09):

FA-1605563_Test01_pdfPrint_exported-from-IndDesign.png

iBooks 1.0.1 // screenshot of the epub file obtained from the .pdf file by a friend of mine (see above). You'll certainly loose some interactivity, but keep exactly the same layout, even if you don't use OTF fonts! 

FA-1605563_Test01_epub3_AV-Test.png

• 2. Re: ePub fixed-layout and graphic effects
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Anne-Marie Concepcion demonstrates this in her new video series here:

http://www.lynda.com/InDesign-tutorials/Creating-Fixed-Layout-EPUBs-InDesign-CC/169624-2.h tml

In the chapter on "Understanding InDesign Converts Graphic Content," she shows a similar example of a complicated overlay of graphic frames with different kind of effects, and she sees the same thing.

The engineers have prioritized making the text live and selectable, and some complex graphic effects when overlaid may get lost. Her suggested workaround is to hide the text and export the combined graphic effects underneath as a JPEG, then replace the complex layering with the JPEG until this is resolved in a later release.

• 3. Re: ePub fixed-layout and graphic effects

Hi Steve,

I hope you will agree with me that this is a totally unrealistic and unworkable workaround!

So I just remember, unless someone contradicts you, that, at present, InDesign can not render such incourtounable creatifs effects in the context of a fixed layout epub export!   

• 4. Re: ePub fixed-layout and graphic effects
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Keep in mind that the Fixed Layout EPUB feature was ONLY INTRODUCED IN JUNE 2014!

There were many things fixed in the October 2014 release. There will be many more in the next release no doubt. Sometimes a little patience is required. ;-)

In the "bad old days" before Creative Cloud, you would have waited 18 months for the next release to fix it.

• 5. Re: ePub fixed-layout and graphic effects
                  AnneMarie Concepcion Adobe Community Professional

The question of which effects from the Effects dialog box are supported on which types of objects when exported to FXL are not fully detailed by Adobe. (What a great idea for an InDesignSecrets.com post, Steve! ;-D)

Generally, effects (drop shadow, bevel and emboss, transparency) are supported on frames, fills of unassigned frames, and images. Blending modes are not supported anywhere, though I haven't tested these thoroughly. For live text, no special effects are supported. However you can have live text on top of another frame that has a transparency effect.

Here's my own quick test, a page I created in INDD and how it looks in iBooks as FXL. First, how it looks in InDesign:

effects-test-indesign.jpg

Now how it looks in iBooks:

effects-test-ibooks.jpg

What was lost in the translation: The opacity of the text was reset to 100%, and the Screen blending mode applied to the flower upper right was ignored.

I agree with Steve that this is such a new feature, we would expect that more of this will be supported going forward. Be sure to fill out a feature request! There's a way to go, but the current capabilities are astounding. IMO.

Obi-Wan you may be a little spoiled ;-D (I say that in the nicest way, I am too) with InDesign's ability to push these effects through to PDF and print. Give them time! And consider the alternative ... how do other programs fare when exporting the same design to FXL?

AM