19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2007 6:58 PM by telecide

Popup not working in IE7

Dave_07
      I have a popup menu attached to a slice. When running the page in IE7 the popup appears on mouseover but the text does not so I have a blank popup. If I then move the mouse over the blank popup the underlying text then appears. I've tried various color changes and style changes but nothing seems to work. Any help would be appreciated?

• 1. Re: Popup not working in IE7
          Level 7
          link?

Dave_07 wrote:
          > I have a popup menu attached to a slice. When running the page in IE7 the
          > popup appears on mouseover but the text does not so I have a blank popup. If I
          > then move the mouse over the blank popup the underlying text then appears.
          > I've tried various color changes and style changes but nothing seems to work.
          > Any help would be appreciated?
          >
          >
          >
          • 2. Popup not working in IE7
            telecide Level 1
            I'm having the exact same problem with IE7. The menus pop down and the text is gone but only in IE7. I've checked the menus on Firefox, Opera, Netscape, IE6 & Safari and they work fine on both PC & Mac, but IE7 will not show the text. Any help resolving this would be appreciated. I'm using Fireworks 8 and finishing with Dreamweaver 8.

Here's a link - http://68.178.180.164/

Thanks.
            Hutch
            • 3. Re: Popup not working in IE7
              roboauthor

I am having the same problem with IE7 not displaying the text in any Help popup created in RoboHelp version 9. Everything works correctly in IE6 but IE7 just displays a blank popup. Any solutions please?

Robohelp uses javascript to create and display popups.
              • 4. Re: Popup not working in IE7
                falcon Level 1
                I am experiencing the same problem. Creating the pop menus in Fireworks 8. Menus work fine in Opera, Safari, Netscape, FireFox & versions of IE EXCEPT IE-7. I need a resolution to this problem as well. Anyone get an anser yet?
                • 5. Re: Popup not working in IE7
                  Level 1
                  Hi all - I see the problem at http://68.178.180.164/, yet not able to reproduce it in Fireworks CS3 or in Fireworks 8.

Can you provide the options you are setting in the popup menu editor? I wonder what Im missing to reproduce the issue.

• 6. Re: Popup not working in IE7
                    falcon Level 1
                    Hello Alan,

I am using an image setting for the cells, but I tried the html setting and it's the same. You can view my test at http://www.falconaz.com/test/pcanavbar.html Doesn't function in IE-7. Functions in everything else. Sure would like to get an answer to this. Talked to a company IT person from a phoenix firm that suggested I manually reinstall the IE java programs manually. I did that. It didn't solve the problem. I am using FW-8 and exporting to DW-8. I've tried it in a trial version of CS3 ...still does the same thing. Prefer to continue with DW/FW 8 version for now although I'll probably upgrade to CS3 soon. Still this is inconvenient has anything forcing us to either use a 3rd party extension or attempt to take a crash course on spry which I don't think looks as good as something we might come up with ourself in fireworks. If you can assist would really appreciate it.

Sheryl
                    • 7. Popup not working in IE7
                      telecide Level 1
                      More clues:

I only seem to have this problem when I use the menu as an include. It works fine on it's own as an .aspx or htm. but if it's included as an .ascx, that's where I get the blank menu content. Another interesting thing I noticed using .htm for the include is that you can see the rollover text in each cell when rolling the cursor over the blank menu items. The menus also lose their positioning if you center the table with the include. I hope that helps.

Hutch
                      • 8. Re: Popup not working in IE7
                        pixlor Level 4
                        quote:

Originally posted by: falcon
                        Talked to a company IT person from a phoenix firm that suggested I manually reinstall the IE java programs manually. I did that. It didn't solve the problem.

WHAT?!? No...it wouldn't, unless you're using Java...which you aren't, you're using Java Script. JavaScript has nothing to do with Java in terms of either language or implementation.
                        • 9. Re: Popup not working in IE7
                          telecide Level 1
                          Following up:

Welp.... I went and purchased Adobe CS3 Web Premium 1, because I try to keep my tools up to date, and 2, I was kind of hoping this bazaar problem with IE7 would be fixed by now. Good thing I like to keep my tools up to date :-)

Anyway, now that I've plunked down almost $1,000.00 for upgrades (time to upgrade Premiere also), is there enough money for Adobe to assign someone to this issue so we can get it resolved? It's been about 7 months since this thread started and I think all of us having this problem have been reasonably patient and polite so I think it's about time that someone at Adobe take some initiative and help us. Or at least let us know if we're missing some info somewhere.

Here's the latest attempt at getting a Fireworks popup menu to work in IE7:

http://www.mnbowling.com/mnb2007/
                          • 10. Re: Popup not working in IE7
                            falcon Level 1
                            Re telecide,

Don't feel bad - I invested in CS3 Premier Pro as well as took a class to try to get a resolution to this issue. No luck. I even did a little test at my class with our instructor who wasn't aware of this issue. It failed to work on all their classroom CPU's as well. Suspect that someone is going to have egg on their faces when the fireworks classes with the Adobe Sponsored Instructor get going. I agree. I'd like to see Adobe get someone on this as well. Seems like with as many folks as I've talked to that are having this problem they would get a fix. Their representative (when I called them) seemed more interested in promoting Spry than in addressing resolution to a problem with something that has always worked before Adobe bought the Macromedia line.
                            • 11. Re: Popup not working in IE7
                              Level 7
                              They work.

http://great-web-sights.com/library4d.html

(although the submenu images are not loading)
                              (this is an example of one of these menus being loaded as a LIBRARY item)

The problem is that even when they work, they are simply awful in their
                              attributes -

1. DW cannot maintain the links
                              2. They are not compatible with DW templates
                              3. Search engines cannot parse the links to spider those pages
                              4. They add immense weight to the first page's load (see the scrolling area
                              on the page above to check out the code that is written to the page
                              dynamically). All in all, it's about 70K more than you thought the page
                              weighed.

There are free methods that leave these stinky menus in the dust....

By the way, the person who was hired to adapt this code for Macromedia wrote
                              this blog essay, obviously frustrated with the whole thing....

http://www.losingfight.com/blog/2006/08/11/the-sordid-tale-of-mm_menufw_menujs/

--
                              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                              Adobe Community Expert
                              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                              ==================
                              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                              ==================

"falcon" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                              news:fg51gc$j2c$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Re telecide,
                              >
                              > Don't feel bad - I invested in CS3 Premier Pro as well as took a class to
                              > try
                              > to get a resolution to this issue. No luck. I even did a little test at my
                              > class with our instructor who wasn't aware of this issue. It failed to
                              > work on
                              > all their classroom CPU's as well. Suspect that someone is going to have
                              > egg on
                              > their faces when the fireworks classes with the Adobe Sponsored Instructor
                              > get
                              > going. I agree. I'd like to see Adobe get someone on this as well. Seems
                              > like
                              > with as many folks as I've talked to that are having this problem they
                              > would
                              > get a fix. Their representative (when I called them) seemed more
                              > interested in
                              > promoting Spry than in addressing resolution to a problem with something
                              > that
                              > has always worked before Adobe bought the Macromedia line.
                              >

• 12. Re: Popup not working in IE7
                                telecide Level 1
                                Falcon, Murray, thanks for the responses. I looked at http://great-web-sights.com/library4d.html and it was nice to see there's some promise. I'm beginning to get a vision of Adobe & Microsoft sitting across from each other with a beer in one hand while pointing the finger of the other hand at each other and perhaps cursing a little. I'm sure there's probably a way to write the code so it will work, although I wasn't able to get to that blog you posted to see what that programmer had to say.

The bottom line to this whole problem, as I see it, is that I and several others are being short changed in our purchase. I bought this program because I'm just not that good of a programmer and I expect its advertised features to function on ALL supported browsers. If it doesn't, Adobe would then be obligated to come up with a solution in the form of a patch or workaround. They certainly are letting this one slide and I guess all we can hope for is a class action lawsuit to either fix the problem or refund part of our purchase price. I'd rather see Adobe just make good on their claims and fix the problem.

Hutch
                                • 13. Re: Popup not working in IE7
                                  Level 7
                                  > Adobe & Microsoft sitting across
                                  > from each other with a beer in one hand while pointing the finger of the
                                  > other
                                  > hand at each other and perhaps cursing a little.

I suppose you mean Adobe and Macromedia, no? It's clearly all Macromedia in
                                  my opinion.

> They certainly are letting this one slide and I guess all we can hope for
                                  > is a
                                  > class action lawsuit to either fix the problem or refund part of our
                                  > purchase
                                  > price.

I sure wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Try to find Macromedia to
                                  deliver the summons! 8)

> others are being short changed in our purchase

I can see how you'd feel that way, but there *really* are very viable
                                  options that are FREE or nominally priced.

--
                                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                  Adobe Community Expert
                                  ==================
                                  ==================

"telecide" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                  news:fg5it8$c7e$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  > Falcon, Murray, thanks for the responses. I looked at
                                  > http://great-web-sights.com/library4d.html and it was nice to see there's
                                  > some
                                  > promise. I'm beginning to get a vision of Adobe & Microsoft sitting
                                  > across
                                  > other
                                  > hand at each other and perhaps cursing a little. I'm sure there's
                                  > probably a
                                  > way to write the code so it will work, although I wasn't able to get to
                                  > that
                                  > blog you posted to see what that programmer had to say.
                                  >
                                  > The bottom line to this whole problem, as I see it, is that I and several
                                  > others are being short changed in our purchase. I bought this program
                                  > because
                                  > I'm just not that good of a programmer and I expect its advertised
                                  > features to
                                  > function on ALL supported browsers. If it doesn't, Adobe would then be
                                  > obligated to come up with a solution in the form of a patch or workaround.
                                  > is a
                                  > purchase
                                  > price. I'd rather see Adobe just make good on their claims and fix the
                                  > problem.
                                  >
                                  > Hutch
                                  >

• 14. Re: Popup not working in IE7
                                    Level 7
                                    By the way, I had no problem getting to the blog posting....

--
                                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                    Adobe Community Expert
                                    ==================
                                    ==================

"telecide" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                    news:fg5it8$c7e$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > Falcon, Murray, thanks for the responses. I looked at
                                    > http://great-web-sights.com/library4d.html and it was nice to see there's
                                    > some
                                    > promise. I'm beginning to get a vision of Adobe & Microsoft sitting
                                    > across
                                    > other
                                    > hand at each other and perhaps cursing a little. I'm sure there's
                                    > probably a
                                    > way to write the code so it will work, although I wasn't able to get to
                                    > that
                                    > blog you posted to see what that programmer had to say.
                                    >
                                    > others are being short changed in our purchase. I bought this program
                                    > because
                                    > I'm just not that good of a programmer and I expect its advertised
                                    > features to
                                    > function on ALL supported browsers. If it doesn't, Adobe would then be
                                    > obligated to come up with a solution in the form of a patch or workaround.
                                    > is a
                                    > purchase
                                    > price. I'd rather see Adobe just make good on their claims and fix the
                                    > problem.
                                    >
                                    > Hutch
                                    >

• 15. Re: Popup not working in IE7
                                      Level 7
                                      telecide wrote:
                                      > others are being short changed in our purchase. I bought this program because
                                      > I'm just not that good of a programmer and I expect its advertised features to
                                      > function on ALL supported browsers.
                                      >
                                      > Hutch
                                      >
                                      This is what Adobe says about Fireworks on their site....

> Accelerate web design and development with Adobe® Fireworks® CS3 software,
                                      the ideal tool for creating and optimizing images for the web and rapidly
                                      prototyping websites and web applications. Fireworks CS3 offers the
                                      flexibility
                                      to edit both vector and bitmap images, a common library of prebuilt assets,
                                      and timesaving integration with Adobe Photoshop® CS3, Adobe Illustrator®
                                      CS3,
                                      Adobe Dreamweaver® CS3, and Adobe Flash® CS3 software. Mock up designs
                                      quickly
                                      in Fireworks, or leverage other assets from Illustrator, Photoshop, and
                                      Flash.
                                      Then move directly into Dreamweaver CS3 for easy development and deployment.

Where does it say anything about creating cross-platform compatible
                                      menus? Seems to me, the words 'Mock Up' and 'Prototype', stand out as key.

SKB
                                      • 16. Re: Popup not working in IE7
                                        telecide Level 1
                                        quote:

I suppose you mean Adobe and Macromedia, no? It's clearly all Macromedia in
                                        my opinion.

Well... Adobe absorbed Macromedia so really there is no Macromedia anymore. Obviously Microsoft has some kind of problem with IE7 that Adobe can't figure out.

quote:

I can see how you'd feel that way, but there *really* are very viable
                                        options that are FREE or nominally priced.

I'd like to know what they are. Will you share?

quote:

By the way, I had no problem getting to the blog posting....

That's great and I'd sure like to read it myself but all I get from the link is:

Error 400

We're sorry, but we could not fulfill your request for /blog/2006/08/11/the-sordid-tale-of-mm_menufw_menujs/ on this server.

Your proxy server sent an invalid request. Please contact the proxy server administrator to have this problem fixed.

Your technical support key is: 4b92-21fd-b783-0251

You can use this key to fix this problem yourself.

If you are unable to fix the problem yourself, please contact andy at losingfight.com and be sure to provide the technical support key shown above.

I can get to the home page but if I try to click links leading to the date of the article I get the same error. Any help would be appreciated.

Hutch
                                        • 17. Re: Popup not working in IE7
                                          telecide Level 1
                                          quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                                          telecide wrote:
                                          > others are being short changed in our purchase. I bought this program because
                                          > I'm just not that good of a programmer and I expect its advertised features to
                                          > function on ALL supported browsers.
                                          >
                                          > Hutch
                                          >
                                          This is what Adobe says about Fireworks on their site....

> Accelerate web design and development with Adobe® Fireworks® CS3 software,
                                          the ideal tool for creating and optimizing images for the web and rapidly
                                          prototyping websites and web applications. Fireworks CS3 offers the
                                          flexibility
                                          to edit both vector and bitmap images, a common library of prebuilt assets,
                                          and timesaving integration with Adobe Photoshop® CS3, Adobe Illustrator®
                                          CS3,
                                          Adobe Dreamweaver® CS3, and Adobe Flash® CS3 software. Mock up designs
                                          quickly
                                          in Fireworks, or leverage other assets from Illustrator, Photoshop, and
                                          Flash.
                                          Then move directly into Dreamweaver CS3 for easy development and deployment.

Where does it say anything about creating cross-platform compatible
                                          menus? Seems to me, the words 'Mock Up' and 'Prototype', stand out as key.

SKB

Ok, you've sold me. 'Mock Up' and 'Prototype' should take them off the hook. (although the users manual does go into a lot of detail as to what the result of the popup menu function of Fireworks should be. Next time I won't read that stuff so I don't get my expectations up).

Hutch
                                          • 18. Re: Popup not working in IE7
                                            falcon Level 1
                                            Hi Hutch,

You are very welcome. I did the unthinkable - I called adobe - again (only 8 months or so later). I was advised by tech support today that they'd have an answer for me in about 24 hours. We'll see. They stated they had to get with one of their "browser" people this time. It'll be interesting to see if we get resolution to this problem. I'll keep you posted but don't think I'll hold my breath!
                                            • 19. Re: Popup not working in IE7
                                              telecide Level 1
                                              I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best... and thank you for your efforts.

Hutch