3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2014 6:24 AM by Rick Gerard

How to crop shadow

olebbb Level 1

I have a ae-project that includes a 3D composition of pile of papers. Papers make a shadow to each other but I don't want the shadow reach over the papers (on the backround area), because I want to transfer this project into another and the shadows that goes over the papers disturbs. So is there any (easy) way to crop out the shadows that goes over the papers. (If this was only one project I think I could just "off" the shadows on the backound but it doesn't work when I transfer this project to another.)

Thanks for help and If i didn't make myself clear, please tell, so I'll try again

• 1. Re: How to crop shadow
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you don't want the shadows of the papers to continue to the background layer then turn off Accepts Shadows on the background. I think this would look odd though.

The other option would be to pre-compose your papers layers, make the pre-comp 3D and turn off casts shadows.

I actually don't think I understand what you are trying to do.

• 2. Re: How to crop shadow
            olebbb Level 1

Ok, here's the deal. I have a project that is a 3D object: a pile of papers (actually it's a notebook). You can see a part of it in the image. I don't want it to have backround at all. In the image I made it just to show the shadows, so that's why I cant turn off cast shadows. As you can see the shadows on the backround are not realistic because it makes a shadow from every page separately.
            And I have another project into which I want to transfer this 3D notebook. So I want this notebook to transfer into another project without shadows so I can make a same shadow for the whole notebook. That's why I asked if I could crop the shadows away from the first projects backround.

The pages of notebook are moving (notebook is opening). I think I could solve this problem if i fade in or move the shadow angle a bit but I don't want to do that if there's easier way to complitetly remove the shadows from backround (I don't have a backround colour, the blue colour is just to show you the shadows).

Thanks!

notebook.png

• 3. Re: How to crop shadow
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not understanding how you created the 3D object but I'd make another copy without a drop shadow, and if it's multiple layers, pre-compose them and just eh pre-comp as a track matte for the original.