4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2014 5:37 PM by boo radley 2013

Alt/Scrolling problem?

boo radley 2013 Level 3

I have a peculiar problem, I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this:

Load up 2 different documents into Photoshop.

Now select "Window/Arrange/2-up Vertical". The 2 documents should be showing on the screen, side-by-side. Zoom in to both documents, close enough so that the scrollbars appear at the bottom and sides of each document.

Select the paintbrush tool, and just start randomly painting on the document which is on the right half of the screen. Now hold down ALT to choose a color, and keep the left button held down as well.

WIth ALT and the left button still held down, move the cursor over into the document on the left side of the screen.

At this point, my document on the right hand side begins to scroll horizontally - and this is INCREDIBLY aggrivating!!!

Does anyone else come across this? Thanks for checking it out for those who do...

• 1. Re: Alt/Scrolling problem?
          Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

I can repro but not exactly sure what the problem is. If I let go of the mouse but still hold down Alt, I can sample a color from the other document. (If that was the intent.)

• 2. Re: Alt/Scrolling problem?
            boo radley 2013 Level 3

thanks, yes that's the intent - thanks, happy you can also see this issue 

More specifically:

I have a dual monitor setup, so let's say on Monitor 1, I have a photo (displayed on a webpage in Firefox, for example). On monitor 2, is my Photoshop document, which is zoomed in close enough so the horizontal/vertical scrollbars are showing.

So in Photoshop, if I want to sample a color from the photo on Monitor 1, I have to hold down ALT, hold down the left button, then drag the cursor over to monitor 1 where the photo is, to sample a color. This is when the document on Monitor 2 (In Photoshop) scrolls way off-screen. The reason this is a problem is because I am doing this several times per minute, and am constantly having to scroll the document back into view on Monitor 2.

I'm happy you reproduced this - is it a bug or something? Why should the document scroll off screen like that when sampling a color from a different document/photograph?

• 3. Re: Alt/Scrolling problem?
              Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

This isn't a bug; it's by design. Because you're actively sampling a color, Photoshop is assuming you want to sample a color from the active document, so it moves the document to accommodate.

You would just let go of the mouse but still hold down Alt to sample from another source.

• 4. Re: Alt/Scrolling problem?
                boo radley 2013 Level 3

ok, I understand now - makes sense. Thanks for the answer, I should have had that one figured out already