6 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2015 4:05 PM by @Hoonitank

Problems with Debut Capture Software use in After Effects or Media Encoder

KatrinaMKB

Does anyone use Debut to capture video screen grabs and then find you're unable to use the files in After Effects? On my PC computer (specs to match Adobe's requirements), when I import an mov file recorded with Debut into After Effects and drop it into a composition, using it in any way that requires preview results in After Effects becoming non-responsive. When I try to convert the files using Media Encoder, no matter the settings it always fails. Has anyone else seen this problem and have a solution?

• 1. Re: Problems with Debut Capture Software use in After Effects or Media Encoder
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

It sounds like this capture software encodes the video in an odd codec.  Something that gives AE fits.  If the capture software permits you to change such things, I'd do it.

• 2. Re: Problems with Debut Capture Software use in After Effects or Media Encoder
            KatrinaMKB Level 1

Thanks Dave. I set it to produce an H264 Quicktime file. I've asked it to create an avi file, and the resulting file gives me the dialog box that says the file "cannot be opened, it may be in an unsupported format." I can use the sister software that comes with Debut to convert it to a Quicktime file, but that file is also not responsive in AE.

And, I did a test with the same file in AE on my Macbook Pro 2011 laptop (doesn't have the latest video card recommended by Adobe) without a problem. I get that sometimes the same codecs do not come with the software in a PC versus Mac version, but I can't understand why H264 Quicktime files (with Quicktime Pro installed on both computers) wouldn't work unless my video card is not functioning properly with Adobe (it's an NVIDIA Quadro 5000) on my PC.

I can't really just use the Mac because it's my personal computer and I need to do this work from my work computer, so I've got a bit of a pickle here.

• 3. Re: Problems with Debut Capture Software use in After Effects or Media Encoder
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Then transcode  the h.264 to something AE ius certain to like:  qt's  animation or png codecs come to mind right away.

I's probably good to check the frame rate of the capture software, too:  use something standard like 59.94, 29.97, 23.976.  They may not sound standard to YOU, but they really are.

Of course, without knowing what you're delivering, I could be telling you lies about the frame rate.

• 4. Re: Problems with Debut Capture Software use in After Effects or Media Encoder
                KatrinaMKB Level 1

This is dumb, but I found a work-around solution:

I'm having Debut record in "game capture" settings. Then converting the file from avi to mov using Prism (the sister software from NCH). And finally, using Media Encoder to re-encode the mov with "match source" settings to finally get a file that will work correctly in AE.

• 5. Re: Problems with Debut Capture Software use in After Effects or Media Encoder
                  KatrinaMKB Level 1

Thanks! The software won't let me set the frame rate. And no matter what I set the encode to (except the "game" setting), I kept getting non-standard frame rates. I was trying to use Media Encoder to correct the frame rate problem thinking that since it didn't match with my composition maybe that was the source of my problem. Still not sure if the codecs that NCH software is encoding are somehow wonky because I'm selecting codecs that should be fine in AE.

Any reason to think that it's the screen dimensions being off that would spark the weird "not responding" problem (the recorded dimensions are 1920x1200 and the comp dimensions 1920x1080)? I wouldn't think that would be an issue, but who knows.

• 6. Re: Problems with Debut Capture Software use in After Effects or Media Encoder
                    @Hoonitank

I have found a recent solution for this problem

Apparently when you have the Record Screen as .mp4 it actually works with After Effects CS6 i dont think the encoder matters, dimensions, nor does the FPS matter i believe, but .mp4 as a format works for After Effects CS6