6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2014 12:28 PM by SebastiaanFP

M.2 for OS?

TimvandenOever Level 1

Hello all, I've ordered my pc parts and unfortunately heard it was delayed so it got me thinking again. I might be missing out if I don't use my motherboards M.2 slot so I might be tempted to spend extra to get a Samsung xp941 or something similar. I initially ordered 2x 256 GB ssds and I figured that although I could run them raid 0 that would be kinda pointless as I'll need one for OS at least, and it'd be more advantageous to have one work ssd not coupled to the OS disk. If I added an M.2 SSD would that be good to use for OS, or would I much rather use the slowest SSD for OS and reserve an M.2 solely for the highest workload? In that case I might simply hold off for now as there might be more choice and better prices for M.2 x4 ssds in a few months and I can just as easily throw it in around Christmas.

• 1. Re: M.2 for OS?
          SebastiaanFP Level 1

Interesting question Tim, I hope some of the experts will come in to answer. As far as I know from observing my PC-performance monitor which I have always open on a third monitor while video editing, I found that the OS-disk has quite a lot of operations while doing video editing, but never near as much, or as continuous as my RAID0 media HDD's or my Premiere Pro and After Effects cache/scratch/database RAID0 HDD's. So I would use the slowest SSD for the OS & applications, and the fastest SSD for the other processes. If that faster M.2 SSD also has enough space to hold those processes of course.

Greetz Sebastiaan.

Here a link to an excellent explanation from the Adobe Hardware Forum: http://www.ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page

• 2. Re: M.2 for OS?
            SebastiaanFP Level 1

I just checked the Samsung xp941 M.2 on Anand tech. In summary they state it is really fast, but doesn,t support booting in most windows systems, but makes a lot of sense to use as a secondary drive for video professionals. So that might answer (some of) your question. Here is a quote from their review: "

AnandTech | Samsung SSD XP941 Review: The PCIe Era Is Here

I don't think there is any other way to say this other than to state that the XP941 is without a doubt the fastest consumer SSD in the market. It set records in almost all of our benchmarks and beat SATA 6Gbps drives by a substantial margin. It's not only faster than the SATA 6Gbps drives but it surpasses all other PCIe drives we have tested in the past, including OCZ's Z-Drive R4 with eight controllers in RAID 0. Given that we are dealing with a single PCIe 2.0 x4 controller, that is just awesome.

The only major problem in the XP941 is that it doesn't support booting in most Windows systems. If you are a Mac Pro owner, this issue doesn't concern you but for everyone else it's definitely a major drawback. Using an SSD as a secondary drive can make sense for e.g. a video professional where the performance can be utilized as a scratch disk, but otherwise the only real use case for an SSD is as a boot drive. There is hope that 9-series motherboards will bring better support for native PCIe booting but that remains to be seen."

• 3. Re: M.2 for OS?
              TimvandenOever Level 1

Ah that's interesting, meanwhile I got my system built up over the weekend. Going to spend the coming days tweaking, then later this week oc and stress testing. Decided to just go as planned initially with one ssd for os. I suppose I'll either just start saving up at this point for a raid controller & hard disk setup or might just upgrade with ssd's now and again over time!

I suppose when I get an M.2 ssd some day, I might run some memory tests beforehand to figure out which disk has the highest loads to figure out where to benefit the most!

• 4. Re: M.2 for OS?
                SebastiaanFP Level 1

Can you post the total system specs of what you just bought / what you are going to build, and how much overclocking are you planning?

• 5. Re: M.2 for OS?
                  TimvandenOever Level 1

Oh let's see...

Intel i7 5820k

Scythe Mugen

Crucial 32 gb 2133 mhz

MSI X99S SLI

Corsair HX750i

MSI GTX 970

2x Plextor M6 Pro

Fractal Design Define R4

Samsung SH-224DB

Got a few hdds a year old that I'll throw in later this week. First I'll clean them all up, but that can wait till I'm busy stress testing. Ran into one bsod already and google results suggest it's likely the memory at fault, so I have to dig up an USB driver later to setup memtest86+. I did run prime95 on blend for a few hours and everything ran faultless. Figure that I'll go with that for 12-24 hour runs after some OC's though.Really would've liked to have gone with better memory but the next cheapest set available was €450 more expensive for 2666 Mhz. Not worth it to me, so I hope I can push the kit to 2666 as I've seen people do with the same memory and otherwise I'll just have to go with 2400 Mhz (assuming preoc memtest doesn't show up faults or I'll send it back straight off).

The processor I'll see how far I can go, but I suspect I'll keep it around 4 Ghz myself, depending on temps and fan speeds. I built the pc to be quiet and honestly the only thing I can hear is another computer 10 meters away and the birds singing. I'll just see what results I get at which oc and decide accordingly.

Never really did much with graphics cards oc, I will look into some benchmark tools for it, Did install and play Metro for a bit and on 1920x1080 with maxed out settings the temperature didn't even hit 45 degrees. I'm not sure at which temp the MSI card spins up but I know that a similar cooler from Asus stays idle until 65 degrees Celcius.

• 6. Re: M.2 for OS?
                    SebastiaanFP Level 1

That is a really sweet collection of hardware there Tim, and I guess when you overclock your 5820K to 4Ghz, that save you another $100 and you are even faster than the 5930K. The mobo has PCI-express, Sata6 and M2, so that gives a lot of options and room for further expansion. Must become a good workstation for the Adobe CC!

Wish you a lot of pleasure and success!