• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 12 is hanging in OSX Yosemite.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using PSE12.1, the moment I start selecting pixels the program freezes and I have to select "Force Quit" from the OS X Dock.

I'm using PSE 12.1 and OS X 10.10.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you delete all preferences on upgrading before running PSE? That is critical with recent versions of OS X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2014 Oct 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All preferences, as in the WHOLE preferences folder? Or just the ones having to do with Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem like everyone else, Elements 12 hanging when I upgraded to Yosemite and to be honest I just uninstalled Yosemite and went back to factory settings and Snow Leopard and then re-downloaded  mavericks.  All works perfectly well now.   If I was you just wait a few months  until they sort out this mess and then upgrade to Yosemite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes; after the crash began happening I started googling around and found a comment similar to yours. I deleted everything beginning Library/Preferences/Adobe\ Photoshop\ Elements*

Unfortunately, it did not help. In addition, testing shows the problem isn't just the Smart Brush - I had similar issues with other non-rectangular "select" functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have once run PSE it is necessary to also delete the saved application states.

So you would need to delete:

com.adobe.PhotoshopElements.plist

Adobe Photoshop Elements < version > Paths

Adobe Photoshop Elements < version > Settings

com.adobe.Elements Organizer. < version >.plist

com.adobe.ElementsOrganizer< version>.plist

and any lockfiles with the same names, then go to Saved Application States (at the same level as preferences) and delete any for PSE, then repair permissions and try again.

However, I will say that I am not running Yosemite (and don't intend to any time soon), but from the folks I knew who were in the Apple beta, it breaks many, many existing programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. I tried again, deleting everything related to Adobe from my preferences folder. The app was clearly reset to its default state, but the moment I selected a region, it hung.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2014 Oct 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues after downloading OS X Yosemite last night.  SO FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to you repair permissions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to applications>utilities>disk utility. Click the name of your hard drive in the list on the left side of the window, then click Repair Permissions. it takes a while so don't worry and don't get upset about all the messages scrolling past. They don't matter. Nothing to worry about unless at the end it says the repair failed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing suggested so far fixes PSE12.

One other trick I tried was holding down Shift+ALT+Command immediately upon launching the program. A dialog box pops up that asks you confirm resetting the application.

Adobe support states that PSE13 must be purchased for those using Yosemite. I purchased PSE12 just 6 weeks ago, so I am particularly annoyed with the buy new response from Adobe.

I can confirm that my ancient PSE6 works fine in Yosemite. I also read somewhere that PSE10 also works. So, this seems to be a PSE11/PSE12 specific problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nando,

Where did you see that Adobe has stated that Yosemite users have to upgrade to PSE13?

Like you I bought PSE12 just a short while back - something like a week before they announced PSE13....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mwheinz.

That is what an Adobe representative told me in an online chat I had with them yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was told just today that PSE 12 would *not* work in Yosemite, and that I had to upgrade to PSE 13.  Have I been snookered?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed Yosemite last night on an iMac and a MacBook Air.  In both cases on Yosemite, selecting the Lasso Tool caused the system to hang up and I had to force quit to get the system back.  This happened in PE11 on the iMac and PE12 on the MacBook Air.

Marty T.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem—contacted apple support to go back to original operating OS or whatever the heck it is…very unhappy with the entire situation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess Adobe is telling everyone go get a different App. They don't care about us who paid for their program. I am going to one of the FREE programs which didn't hang up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to PSE 12 at the beginning of this year. They can forget my business anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2014 Oct 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem. Purchased PSE 12 less than a month ago, upgraded to OS X Yosemite yesterday & now it doesn't work. Bummer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we should not have to jump thru hoops and be some kind of computer nerd techie to have our software up and running after the upgrade

i went on chat with apple yesterday about this—the kid offered no solutions, just retrograde back to mavericks—also offered no opinion about yosemite

i use photoshop in my very small business, and i guess i am going to have to lay out money and upgrade it to PSE13

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that the problem is with trackpads. Try using a mouse instead and see if it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks i will give it a shot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSE6 works in Yosemite using the trackpad.

I read that PSE10 work in Yosemite, but I do not recall if that person who made the claim stated they were using a mouse.

Someone stated the PSE11 allows making a single click, and it does not entirely lock PSE.

PSE12 I know makes a single click and locks the app.

The problem is somewhat odd. A partial trackpad error was introduced in PSE11, and the error became worse in PSE12.

PSE13 is claimed to work fine in Yosemite by Adobe, but a user needs to confirm the latest version works when using a trackpad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought the upgrade from PSE 12 to PSE 13 and am using it with no problems on Yosemite with a trackpad.  There seems to be no answer to the issue other than getting PSE 13.  Just don't get 14 or 15 and you can amortize your cost over three years! 

Marty T.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for confirming PSE13 works.

In my case, I bought PSE12 at the end of August 2014. Six weeks of use is not an acceptable solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines