9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2015 6:49 AM by ebenne2

Adding "Change Case" in a paragraph style

Maximus1978

Hello,

i would like to know if there is a way to force a "change case" while applying a saved paragraph style, for Example:

Title 1 (TOC) would have UPPERCASE

Title 2 (TOC) would have Title Case

Thanks

Max

• 1. Re: Adding "Change Case" in a paragraph style
          Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

Not clear for me!

• 2. Re: Adding "Change Case" in a paragraph style
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Unfortunately the only option in Paragraph Styles is Small Caps and All Caps (and Small Caps OTF).

The paragraph styles don't cater for Title Case.

However it can be scripted. http://indesignsecrets.com/topic/smart-title-case

You'd have to ask on the scripting forum if this can be run on a whole document though.

• 3. Re: Adding "Change Case" in a paragraph style
              Maximus1978 Level 1

Thanks Tyson

Sent from my iPad

• 4. Re: Adding "Change Case" in a paragraph style

Hi Eugene,

If I understand well (sorry! I'm a poor french user!), we need to change:

HOUSE >> house

country >> COUNTRY

Right! 

• 5. Re: Adding "Change Case" in a paragraph style
                  Maximus1978 Level 1

That is correct,

Sent from my iPad

• 6. Re: Adding "Change Case" in a paragraph style

... So it's easy: Peter Kahrel has worked for you!

InDesign: change case with GREP | Peter Kahrel

The 2 only things to do: 1/ define your research (Find-Replace window; here, based on the para style) and 2/ launch Peter's script.

Done-done "en 2 coups de cuillère à pot", as we say in French!!

• 7. Re: Adding "Change Case" in a paragraph style
                      Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What if it's

HOUSE IN THE COUNTRY

Then a find change changes it to

House in the country

where it should be

House in the Country

• 8. Re: Adding "Change Case" in a paragraph style

Eugene, don't be cruel! 

• 9. Re: Adding "Change Case" in a paragraph style
                          ebenne2

If you are replacing all instances of "House in the Country" throughout the whole document, definitely use find/replace using text or grep..

However...

If you are trying to force a heading to be title case using a paragraph style, you could also make two separate characters styles, one that had "All caps" turned on, then on that was the regular style. Once these character styles are set, define the nested styles in your paragraph style, then using grep styles in the paragraph style. You can most likely figure out a way to use Just the grep Styles, but I'm a beginner with GREP for I used a combination of the two.

So for your example title "House in the Country"

• You could set one char style "Heading-upper" with the "case" drop down in the basic character tab set to "all caps."
                          • Next set your regular case character style, say you name it "Heading-regular," and set the Case to "normal."

Now create your paragraph style "Heading1" (or whatever you'd like).

• Set the basic character styles tab to the same settings as your "Heading-regular" character style.
                          • Then,  go to the "Drop Caps and Nested styles" tab, go to the "Nested Styles" area.
                          • Click "New Nested Style" button
                          • Click the dropdown, and select the Heading-Upper character style you created.
                          • Click the word " through" next to the style, and type in "1" and change the last field to "Characters"
                          • Add another "new nested style"
                          • Set character style to "Heading-regular" style that you created, set the rest of the fields to "through 1 Words"
                          • Add another "new nested style" and choose "Repeat" in the first field, then the other fields should auto populate to "last,  2,  styles"

Again, this alone will not change the "in the" in the title "House in the Country" but it will title case everything. to get the lowercase parts, you have to define them using grep styles.

• Add a "new grep style"
                          • Apply the "Heading-upper" character style. in the To Text field, to select the first character after a space, type "( .)"
                          • Apply new grep style using Heading-regular, to text: "(in)|(the)"  This field is where you would add all of the typical non-capped heading words like of, or, an, on, ...etc. the word "a" will not work here because it has only one character in the word. we will add it last.
                          • Add new grep style, set to Heading-upper, To Text: "(\))"
                          • Add new grep style, set to Heading-regular, To Text: "(a )"  to automatically change to a lowercase a by itself.

There you have it. This paragraph styles has served me pretty well for quick styling of headings. It may not be the best solution, as i am only a beginner. But it works for me and hopefully helps you. There are limitations to this styling as you will need to adjust your Grep styles to account for beginning title words like "The",  "A" etc. since these are listed in the lowercase grep styling. You can do it, I just haven't tried it.

Hope it helps,

Ed