17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2014 12:19 AM by janette.sedgebeer

Still frame with text

janette.sedgebeer

How do I produce a still frame with text at the beginning of a video?

• 1. Re: Still frame with text
          A.T. Romano Level 7

janette.sedgebeer

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What do you want to do....

a. a picture in picture effect within the video

or

b. a side by side of a still with text and video

Pending further details, I will generalize...

a. import still into project, drag it to the Timeline, Video Track 1.

b. create a text title in the Premiere Elements Titler and have it placed on Video Track 2

directly above the still on Video Track 1.

Some references if needed, but we will customize an answer based on your details....

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Creating a picture-in-picture overlay

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Creating and trimming titles

We will be watching for your following up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Still frame with text
            janette.sedgebeer Level 1

Hello A T Romano,

How do I put a still at the beginning of a video please?

I cannot seem to move the frames on the Timeline.

With kind regards,

Janette

Janette C Sedgebeer

LAMDA Associate Speech & Voice, MRCSLT Associate, CELTA, MA ELT & Applied Linguistics

Executive Language Tutors

English Language Training

tel. + 44 (0) 20 7884 0441 

tel (Int) +33 (0)5 45 82 55 93  mob + 33 (0)7 60 70 82 86

Description: Description: image001 <http://www.executivelanguagetutors.com/> www.executivelanguagetutors.com

<http://www.personaltutoroncall.com/> www.personaltutoroncall.com

*************************************************************************************

Disclaimer

This E-mail and any attachments transmitted with it may contain confidential or privileged information and are solely intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received them in error please notify us immediately.  You must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on them.   This email and any attachment may contain viruses which could damage your computer system.  Executive Language Tutors accepts no liability for damage sustained as a result of viruses and you should carry out your own virus checks.  No responsibility is accepted by Executive Language Tutors for the contents of personal e-mails or for e-mails unconnected with Executive Language Tutors or its clients' businesses.

• 3. Re: Still frame with text
              A.T. Romano Level 7

janette.sedgebeer

You have not answered all my questions about Premiere Elements version, computer operating system, etc.

So, I will have to generalize with what works for me...does not break up audio below it the point of addition to video track

a. As you hold down the Ctrl key of a Windows computer..... with the mouse cursor, click/drag the still from the project media area into the Timeline

to the point of the left edge of the video. Only after you have arrived at the spot and release the mouse click, then release your hold down on the

Ctrl key.

Please let us know if that works for you. If not, I will try suggestions in Adobe document cited below.

Audio and soundtrack involved below the placement of the still before the video may also have to be considered in the plan.

The following is an Adobe document that details how to arrange clips in the Premiere Elements Timeline

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Arranging clips in the Expert view timeline

The answers will be in the details.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...to avoid nuisances, please do not include contact information in your replies. What you post is not just for you and me. It is for public viewing.

• 4. Re: Still frame with text

Hello A T Romano,

I am using Premiere Elements 13.

I am using Windows 2010.

The still frame is now running over the first three frames when the video plays.

How do I stop the still frame running across the other frames when playing?

How do I see all the tracks?  I can only see one video track.

With kind regards,

Janette

Janette C Sedgebeer

LAMDA Associate Speech & Voice, MRCSLT Associate, CELTA, MA ELT & Applied Linguistics

Description: Description: image001 <http://www.executivelanguagetutors.com/> www.executivelanguagetutors.com

*************************************************************************************

Disclaimer

This E-mail and any attachments transmitted with it may contain confidential or privileged information and are solely intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received them in error please notify us immediately.  You must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on them.   This email and any attachment may contain viruses which could damage your computer system.  Executive Language Tutors accepts no liability for damage sustained as a result of viruses and you should carry out your own virus checks.  No responsibility is accepted by Executive Language Tutors for the contents of personal e-mails or for e-mails unconnected with Executive Language Tutors or its clients' businesses.

• 5. Re: Still frame with text
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

janette.sedgebeer

If you have part of your still covering the beginning frames of the video, there are several possibilities....

1. If you are working on one video track, and you insert the picture at the left edge of the video there should be

no overlap so that your first few video frames are covered by the still. Please read previous details where I held

down the Ctrl key to do this.

Pictures 1.JPG

2. If you have your still on Video Track 2 above the video on Video Track 1, then with the mouse cursor,

you move the movie file to the right so that it begins where I have the Timeline Indicator placed.

Remember, if you have content of Video Track 1 and directly above on Video Track 2, it will be only the

Video Track 2 content that will be seen for a regular still with no transparency in it. But in view of what you having been

describing, I do not believe "2" is involved in what you are doing.

Picture 2.JPG

If none of the above fits your situation, is it possible for you to post a jpeg screenshot of your Timeline situation in the Expert workspace of your project?

From what you described at the start of this thread - a still at the beginning of the video and text over that still - this is what

that might look like

Summary.JPG

What is seen in the Edit area monitor is the last frame of the still and title. The next frame will show only the first frame of the video.

Please re-read post 3 details. If you need clarification on them, please let me know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Still frame with text

Hello ATR,

I cannot see the video tracks – I can only see Video 1.

How do I show the video tracks, please?

With kind regards,

Janette

Janette C Sedgebeer

Disclaimer

• 7. Re: Still frame with text
                      -Subbi Adobe Employee

janette.sedgebeer

It seems that you are in the QUICK room.

Please switch to the EXPERT room and you be able to relate to what ATR is pointing too.

-Subbiah

• 8. Re: Still frame with text

Hello Subbiah,

How do I switch to Expert Room, please?

With kind regards,

Janette

Janette C Sedgebeer

Disclaimer

• 9. Re: Still frame with text

Hello Subbiah,

Although I have added a second video track, it does not show.  It appears that the Video 1 is locked.  How do I show the second Video track which I have placed before the frame below please?

In addition, I cannot tell if I am in the Quick Room or Expert View – there is nothing in the menus to change to the Expert View.

With kind regards,

Janette

Janette C Sedgebeer

Disclaimer

• 10. Re: Still frame with text
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

janette.sedgebeer

In your Premiere Elements 13, there are different "workspaces". Subbi prefers to call them "rooms".

There is the Expert workspace which presents with numbered video tracks, numbered audio tracks, narration track, and soundtrack.

When you want to be in this workspace, you click on the word Expert at the top of the workspace.

See screenshot. When Expert is selected it will have a dark background behind the word Expert as shown in the screenshot.

ExpertWorkspace.JPG

There is the Quick workspace which presents with just a Filmstrip with scene spaces. See screenshot where the

word Quick is selected at the top of the workspace.

Quick.JPG

Which one of these workspaces have you been working in?

Please use the Expert workspace for this so that you can better see what is happening.

If you have never used Premiere Elements before, please know that in the Expert workspace, the tracks can be closed or

opened.

Closed look with my still on Video Track 1

closed.jpg

Open look with my still on Video Track 1

Opened.JPG

To open a track in the Expert workspace, you click on the triangle to the left of the track name. When the triangle is pointing down, the track is opened.

When the triangle is pointing to the right, the track is closed. In the screenshot, you can see Video 2, Audio 2, Video 1, Audio 1 as opened.

Narration is closed.

Please use the above information to setup for what I have described for placing a still with title in front of your video.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: Still frame with text

Hello ATR,

Can a video produced in Premiere Elements be imported successfully into Premiere Pro?

I have now managed to produce the video, however, the DVD shows glitches which cannot be seen on the Timeline in Premiere Elements.

How can the glitches be remedied, please?

With kind regards,

Janette

Janette C Sedgebeer

Disclaimer

• 12. Re: Still frame with text
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Janette

In which version of Premiere Pro are you thinking about opening your Premiere Elements project file (project.prel). I assume for

the purpose of getting a better quality export.

Depending on the version of Premiere Pro, you probably can import the Premiere Elements 13 project file (project.prel) in Premiere Pro, but

no guarantees.

Can I assume that you have burned your Timeline to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc? If so, what type of glitches are you seeing in the playback on

the DVD disc? What is your player? Are the glitches there if you play the DVD on the computer as well as on a DVD player attached to a TV?

Premiere Elements should be able to give you good results. Please describe the glitches to see if we can get rid of them - are they in the body

of the movie or in any disc menus associated with the DVD-VIDEO?

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Still frame with text

Hello ATR,

I am thinking of opening Premiere Elements into the latest version of Premiere Pro.

Can I assume that you have burned your Timeline to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc? If so, what type of glitches are you seeing in the playback on

the DVD disc?

The video was burned to DVD disc.  The frames freeze and the sound stops.  There are bright flashes on the glitches.  I have tried different DVD discs and the glitches are all inconsistent.

I have also tried different DVD players – Polarid DVD player, mp Man DVD player attached to a TV.  The frames occasionally freeze on the computer.

What is your player? Are the glitches there if you play the DVD on the computer as well as on a DVD player attached to a TV?

Premiere Elements should be able to give you good results. Please describe the glitches to see if we can get rid of them - are they in the body

of the movie or in any disc menus associated with the DVD-VIDEO?

The glitches are in the body of the video.

With kind regards,

Janette

Janette C Sedgebeer

Disclaimer

• 14. Re: Still frame with text
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Janette

If you are using a Windows computer, according to this Adobe document, Premiere should support project.prel files from Premiere Elements

Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Supported file formats

Please let me know if you want to describe the Premiere Elements glitches and try to work through them.

We will be watching for your progress whatever your decision is.

Best wishes

ATR

• 15. Re: Still frame with text

Hello ATR,

Do I need to render the work after completing the project, or does the render automatically occur when burning to the DVD disc?

With kind regards,

Janette

Janette C Sedgebeer

Disclaimer

• 16. Re: Still frame with text
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

janette

Thanks for the follow up.

There are two types of rendering in Premiere Elements.

1. In the Edit area (Timeline), the Timeline rendering is for previewing purposes only. The render indicator line above the

TImeline content tells you whether or not you have to do the Timeline rendering to get the best possible preview for what you

are seeing in the Edit area monitor. You do not have to do this type of rendering. It can be time consuming. But, it is your window of opportunity to catch

a problem sooner than later. It is particularly useful when trying to decide on transitions, effects, titles, and non native formats.

The program allows you to continue if you decide not to do Timeline Rendering for previewing purposes. Timeline Rendering does not fix anything, it just gives you a better view of what you have that you are pointing toward export.

2. Export (sometimes referred to as rendering) is the process in which the program encodes the video and audio.

So, two differ things, each having its own function and place of action.

Please let us know if you need clarification on any of the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 17. Re: Still frame with text

Thank you, ATR.

Due to the problems and the poor quality of finished video, we have decided to do the film once again – unfortunately. 

We start filming today.

With kind regards,

Janette

Janette C Sedgebeer

Disclaimer