1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 22, 2014 7:23 AM by Marc Trzepla

Embed Color Profile in QuickTime - CC?

Marc Trzepla Level 1

Let me first start by saying I did a bunch of interwebs searches before coming here but never found a straight answer.  I know I can get that here, so here's the dealio...

After Effects CS6 (11.0.3.6) on Mac 10.8.4. Working in a color space and then rendering a QuickTime movie with an output module color profile specified.     Embed Profile is always greyed out.

This is a little okay when I (or anyone else) import the movie and know how it was output to re-interpret the color space manually, (color management tab) but what about when the QuickTime movie is handed off, say, to an outside facility etc.   I find that imported QuickTime movies don't even default to the Working Space, but rather sRGB1966.

One search turned up this thread...

forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/994565

...where Todd chimes in that while QuickTime can "now contain an embedded ICC color profile" but that "After Effects doesn't know that."     This was back in 2011.

We don't have After Effects Creative Cloud - has the "embed profile" in a QuickTime movie been implemented in 2014?  Or am I just doing something wrong in the first place?

Thanks,

Marc

• 1. Re: Embed Color Profile in QuickTime - CC?
          Marc Trzepla Level 1

I found a colleague who has an installation of After Effects Creative Cloud (Mac) at home and he did a quick test for me ... and tells me that After Effects still cannot embed a color profile with a QuickTime movie.

Is it me or does the topic of color management belong in a Dark Arts class at Hogwarts?

Anyone here from Adobe able to shed some light on future releases of AE embedding color profiles in QuickTime movies?

Thanks,

Marc