6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2014 9:27 PM by ponderconsulting

Packaging plug-in into ZXP for Adobe Exchange

Serhit

Hi All,

I'm trying to package plug-in for Lightroom in order to make it available on Adobe Exchange.

Online packager that is available on Adobe Exchange site offers Lightroom option, but apparently produces incorrect package that cannot be used later for installation. While using Adobe Exchange Packager for preparing ZXP package, I'm requested for compatible product - and there is no Lightroom among them - the closest match is Photoshop.

Does anybody know the solution for packaging of plug-ins for Lightroom for Adobe Exchange?

Best regards,

Sergey

• 1. Re: Packaging plug-in into ZXP for Adobe Exchange
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

I don't think any of the regular participants in this forum have published on the new Exchange.  A number of us had published on the old Exchange, but perhaps others feel the same as I do, that it may not be worth the effort in figuring out the new Exchange.  If you figure it out, please post back here with what you learn!

• 2. Re: Packaging plug-in into ZXP for Adobe Exchange
            Serhit Level 1

Thanx for the feedback, John. Actually, already after posting this question here, I found the page on Adobe saying that new Exchange is not yet support Lightroom as a target and this still to be announced. So, looks like we need to wait some time.

However, I fully agree - the efforts required to package the plug-in properly is really high and barely worth it...

• 3. Re: Packaging plug-in into ZXP for Adobe Exchange
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
              I found the page on Adobe saying that new Exchange is not yet support Lightroom

Apparently, some plugin authors have figured out how to do it.  While most of the add-ons are preset collections, there's one author in particular who has at least a dozen plugins on the exchange. 

Adobe itself has just published its Aperture plugin on the Exchange.  But many people are complaining in the reviews they can't get it installed via Creative Cloud or the Extension Manager.  Perhaps in reaction, Adobe updated the "Where to Find It" section of the plugin to point to their blog entry that explains how to download and install manually (the traditional way).

• 4. Re: Packaging plug-in into ZXP for Adobe Exchange
                Serhit Level 1

Well, there is a way to publish plugin for Lightroom at the moment - using "online packager" directly on Adobe Exchange. The thing is that this "packager" is announced as "beta" now - and it is. While making the package using it - your plugin is published on Exchange, but, indeed you cannot install this package.

I have published my plugin recently, I saw few dozen downloads - but only one user came back to me with the question about the "broken package". I tested myself with Adobe Extension Manager - and indeed the package generated by "online packager" is either corrupted, or built in a wrong way. So I tried to use proposed Adobe Exchange Packager - and it do not support Lightroom at the moment. So looks like - there is no way at the moment to prepare working package with Lightroom plug-ing for Exchange...

• 5. Re: Packaging plug-in into ZXP for Adobe Exchange
                  jarnoh Level 1

I sent my plugin to Adobe as a zip file (I think this was as instructed in July), they built the .zxp file and the resulting "installation" is that they would drop a .zip file into Downloads folder.  Some how I find regular downloads much more user-friendly

I looked at few other plugins, and they seemed to do the same .zip dropping.  I asked Adobe support and they had no other solution, but I guess they were working on it.

Looking now at Adobe's own Aperture import plugin, it does properly install to Lightroom/Modules directory, so maybe they have worked it out, I haven't really bothered since the market seems dead anyway.  Lightroom doesn't even link to it from the help menu, as it used to in the old Adobe Exchange days.

Jarno

• 6. Re: Packaging plug-in into ZXP for Adobe Exchange
                    ponderconsulting

Yep, I have this exact problem as a consumer and someone who has just purchased 3 different add-ons for Lightroom and no way to retrieve them. The .zxp file and the resulting "installation" is not working through Adobe Extension Manager and it's not in my downloads folder.

I've tried everything I can, and multiple times. Please help Adobe!