4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2014 2:58 AM by dklondon

produced lens profile for Canon G12 put in folder 1.0 does not show in lightroom edit pane

dklondon

Noted that adobe show lens profiles for G10, G12 G15 and G1X but only G10 shows in downloader and in lightroom edit pane profile selection

Created my own lens profile for G12 svaed it but does not come up in edit pane choices??

• 1. Re: produced lens profile for Canon G12 put in folder 1.0 does not show in lightroom edit pane
          richardplondon Level 4

It's a good idea to check the format of the picture that you are using to test.

A given lens profile is either Raw or non-Raw - usually this is mentioned in the filename of the profile.

If your current image is of type Raw then LR hides all the non-Raw profiles; you cannot select them even manually. And if your current image is a camera JPG or TIFF etc, then you won't see any Raw profiles listed.

It is possible to edit a copy of one kind of profile so that it gets used for the other kind of image. But especially with recent camera models, a profile generated from camera JPG test images may contain substantially different corrections, than one generated from camera Raw / DNG test images does. This is e.g. because of in-camera corrections in the case of JPG data, also automatic (silent) LR lens corrections in the case of Raw output from some cameras.

• 2. Re: produced lens profile for Canon G12 put in folder 1.0 does not show in lightroom edit pane
            dklondon Level 1

Hi richard thanks for reply

I only use Raw format and on completion of create profile the auto file name generated features RAW in file naming.but take your point v JPG frormat.

raw edited in LR is fantastic. Do not understand why Canon do not generate profiles for LR RAW

• 3. Re: produced lens profile for Canon G12 put in folder 1.0 does not show in lightroom edit pane
              richardplondon Level 4

What LR version are you using, and does LR let you manually select the profile you want?

I take your point that Canon could have offered their own Adobe-compatible profiles, but those would probably have needed to then be supplied to the end user by Canon, not by Adobe.

I am seeing the particular Canon profiles that you mention, in LR 5.4, offered against Raw images but not against non-Raw images.

Unless you are using an older software version, or selecting perhaps a derived edit version in e.g. TIFF instead of a Raw, I am at a loss why you are not seeing them too.

I believe these will have been generated by Adobe. They are here on my PC:

adobe-list.jpg

Please note that there is a non-Raw profile listed there for e.g. the G10 but not for e.g. the G12. So the fact that you ARE seeing a profile for the G10, lends some weight to the idea that the image currently selected may not in fact be Raw based.

BTW, I don't think that any extra profiles that the user might make or find, and then save in here, are going to ever be seen by LR (or ACR). This is apparently the Adobe "official installed profiles only" location.

Any profiles made or found by the user, need to be saved into a similar folder within the user's data area, in order for LR to see them and use them. And if these are Raw based, they will still not appear for a non-Raw based image.

On my Windows computer, that location is C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0

This has a "Downloaded" subfolder (which is, I think, the destination used by the Adobe profile downloader utility).

RP

• 4. Re: produced lens profile for Canon G12 put in folder 1.0 does not show in lightroom edit pane
                dklondon Level 1

Hi richard.

Well you got it right.

The file I was using in my experiments was a JPG I had previously edited from CR2 camera format.

Reloaded some camera raw and now I can see G12 and G1X and they work too.

These are possibly mine as I uploaded lcp files for both these cameras some time ago.

Great outcome thanks for your help, I had got myself into a silly loop.not looking at file format.

thanks for screen shots very clear and very useful.

David