10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2014 12:26 AM by richardplondon

How to add a Folder with images without Importing anything.

Kramliw Level 1

I just want the folder to show up in the Folders panel without importing so that i can do some dragging and dropping?

• 1. Re: How to add a Folder with images without Importing anything.
          richardplondon Level 4

At the right hand end of the title of the Folders panel, are two buttons [-] and [+].

Clicking the [+] drops down a menu, from which you can select "Add Folder".

There is also "Add Subfolder" which is for making subfolders inside your currently clicked Folder. There's a checkbox option to transfer currently selected photos (from wherever they currently are), into that new subfolder. So you can perform the whole task in one go, if you want.

• 2. Re: How to add a Folder with images without Importing anything.
            areohbee Level 5

You can't add an already existing folder to Lightroom without importing anything, unless you use a plugin.

Richard Plondon's instructions are good for creating a new folder, but can not be used for cataloging an existing folder.

Ottomanic Importer provides this feature:

_oi_add_folder.gif

PS - it's a free plugin I wrote, easily findable using your favorite internet search engine.

Rob

• 3. Re: How to add a Folder with images without Importing anything.
              richardplondon Level 4

Rob: all I can say is, adding an existing folder works for me (Windows).

I can have previously created a folder, identify that in the browser window which opens from "Add Folder", and then have that folder appear in the LR Folders list (stating 0 images initially).

Alternatively, without having previously created this folder by other means, I can do in that in this same browser window (using the normal facilities provided there) and then select this newly made folder, with the same outcome.

Once this folder is visible inside LR, I suppose one could Sync Folder to show whatever images are stored inside it... although if one wanted to do that, some kind of Import would certainly have been a simpler choice in the first place, rather than Add Folder.

But the OP specifically did not want to Import anything.

RP

• 4. Re: How to add a Folder with images without Importing anything.
                areohbee Level 5

richardplondon wrote:

Rob: all I can say is, adding an existing folder works for me (Windows).

For me, if a folder with images already exists on disk (but not in the catalog), and I try to add it to Lightroom using the '+' button, it just opens the import dialog box, so the folder can not be added that way, without importing something I mean.

Lr5.6 | Windows 7

• 5. Re: How to add a Folder with images without Importing anything.
                  richardplondon Level 4

I stand corrected, in the case of ADD a folder with images already present - which was not my own testing point before. Mea culpa.

I guess one could allow the import of just one image, and then remove it. But that seems... inelegant (mind you, the whole premise seems to me inelegant).

The "ADD SUBFOLDER" procedure works fine, though, which I did test with images already present in the folder concerned. If the name supplied for this new folder happens to coincide with the name of a pre-existing folder, LR does not complain - but just refers to that. In this case LR does not prompt for the import of any images already present.

• 6. Re: How to add a Folder with images without Importing anything.
                    Kramliw Level 1

Thanks for the replies. Rob is right. This when you add a folder and the folder has images lightroom necessarily goes to the import dialogue. This is not the solution to the problem. I merely want to see an existing folder in the folders panel so that I can move other images to it. Although in searching I have come across a file where an edit could be made to suppress the import dialogue but it did not seem applicable to this.

I think this is a flaw unless there is a way to do it, as one of the key tenets in lightroom is to do all moving of files inside lightroom so that their location can be catalogued. Lightroom needs better file management tools to move things around.

What I am actually doing is splitting up large catalogues into smaller ones to make them easier to manage and avoid the risk of corruption. And to do that, I am moving files to a folder from one catalog so that when I import them into another catalog - I can check that folder only to import from. This is another area I find lightroom to be deficient - moving files from one catalogue to another. Unless I am doing it wrong.

• 7. Re: How to add a Folder with images without Importing anything.
                      Kramliw Level 1

Rob, I will try your plugin. Thanks for this.

• 8. Re: How to add a Folder with images without Importing anything.
                        john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Stay with one main catalogue. Lightroom is designed to be used with one catalogue, and it offers ways to use smaller catalogues for specific workflows but has no cross-catalogue features. Corruption is rare, and the safeguard against corruption is backing it up - not fragmenting control of your pictures and workflow.

• 9. Re: How to add a Folder with images without Importing anything.
                          areohbee Level 5

You're welcome Kramliw, and it (the plugin) will help a little, but I do think it's worth considering whether splitting catalog is the best option - john beardsworth makes some good points..

Cheers & good luck no matter which way you go,

Rob

• 10. Re: How to add a Folder with images without Importing anything.
                            richardplondon Level 4

What I am actually doing is splitting up large catalogues into smaller ones to make them easier to manage and avoid the risk of corruption. And to do that, I am moving files to a folder from one catalog so that when I import them into another catalog - I can check that folder only to import from. This is another area I find lightroom to be deficient - moving files from one catalogue to another. Unless I am doing it wrong.

While in general agreeing with John B that a single Catalog is no more difficult (often the contrary) or any less reliable in practice - there are times when one does want to move a selected set of your images into a different Catalog - for example, for archiving purposes or.. whatever.

But there are easier and better ways to do this, and which do not require moving the image locations.

1. Backup your current Catalog.
                            2. Select the images in catalog A that you want to transfer into a new catalog B, or else merge into catalog C.
                            3. File menu / "Save as Catalog": this makes a copy B with not only all of your image edits and text metadata, but also any virtual copies, collection membership, flags, the full editing history of each image, keyword organisation, stacking... things that you would lose from these images, directly importing their files into another Catalog.
                            4. This new Catalog B works fine standalone. The images are still there in catalog A too. If appropriate, you can remove them from there (perhaps, while they are still highlighted from step 2!)
                            5. Or if you wanted these images to be merged into Catalog C, open that up - then use "Import from Catalog" from there, selecting the intermediate catalog B saved in step 3. Once that's done, the intermediate B can be safely deleted.

[the physical images are not normally duplicated when you do this, but shared - imported to more than one catalog - and this means that deleting them physically or writing metadata to them from one catalog, deletes or externally updates them for the other catalog too.

There is an option "include negatives" for step 3 which does duplicate the files, so that your new catalog refers to different actual images than the starting one does.

But step 5 always "shares" the physical images between the catalog you are bringing in, and the one you are bringing that into.]

RP