4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2014 6:12 AM by TimvandenOever

Recommendations?  I think this setup looks pretty good, what about you?

johnt53984649 Level 2

C: Samsung 256GB 850 PRO Series SATA III 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

for OS and Programs and Pagefile

D: Samsung 1TB 850 PRO Series SATA III 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

for Source Media and Projects

E: Samsung 128GB 850 PRO Series SATA III 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

for Media Cache

F: Samsung 256GB 850 PRO Series SATA III 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

for Preview and Exports.*

*Take note, I'm putting the exports on a separate drive that I already own and deleting them from the drive I originally wrote them to.

Chassis                          Cooler Master Storm Trooper Full Tower

Power                             1250W Seasonic 80PLUS Gold Power Supply

Motherboard                    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5 2011-3, DDR4, m.2, Quad SLI, WiFi

CPU                               Intel Core i7-5960X 3.00GHz, 2133MHz DDR4, 20MB Cache, Octo Core Processor Fully Unlocked

System Memory              64GB (8 x 8GB) , PC4-21300, 2666MHz (G.SKILL - x99)

Video Adapter 1               NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB GDDR5

Video Adapter 2               None

Cooler:                                     Either Noctua NH-D14 140/120mm CPU Cooler or Corsair Hydro Series H80i Liquid CPU Cooler

I plan on using this system to run the Dynamic Link between Premiere Pro CC 2014 and After Effects CC 2014.  I would also use Cinema4D, but not as regularly as the previously mentioned programs.

I am NOT going to be running any kind of RAID.  I don't want to use any HDDs either, and I can't afford much more than the price of what's above.  My main question is about the coolers, if either would be effective enough.

If you have any recommendations for changes, let me hear them.  I'm trying to make the most informed decision here.

• 1. Re: Recommendations?  I think this setup looks pretty good, what about you?
          cc_merchant Level 4

The media cache drive is a bit small. 256 GB might be better. Definitely the Noctua cooler.

From Tweakers Page - What kind of PC to use?

Corsair Hydro coolers do not give better cooling performance than air coolers from Cooler Master or Noctua, nor do they run quieter. They are only more expensive. Don't forget that air coolers in push-pull configuration have two fans, that are replaced by two fans on the radiator when using a Corsair Hydro. Unfortunately, the Corsair fans are pretty noisy, thereby defeating the intention of water cooling to make things more silent. Effectively, one replaces two fans with an average noise level of 25 dB with two radiator fans with 35 dB. If the cooling performance was better, that extra noise might be overlooked, but that is not the case. Up to around 4.8 GHz overclock, the performance difference between air coolers and Corsair Hydro is negligent. So, if you opt for Corsair Hydro coolers, you don't get better cooling, you do get more noise, more power consumption (because of the waterpump) and you spend a lot more.

• 2. Re: Recommendations?  I think this setup looks pretty good, what about you?
            johnt53984649 Level 2

Okay, that's what I thought, but do you think that particular Noctua cooler would be effective enough?  I really don't understand the compatibility of most coolers with various parts of computers.

And I'll take your advice on the 256 GB media cache drive.  Other than that, any other suggestions?

• 3. Re: Recommendations?  I think this setup looks pretty good, what about you?
              cc_merchant Level 4

Looks good, but if you are worried about the cooler, also consider the Noctua NH-D15. Just check that it fits in your case.

• 4. Re: Recommendations?  I think this setup looks pretty good, what about you?
                TimvandenOever Level 1

I wouldn't really know about the Noctua coolers as a whole, because they're too noisy for my taste but in general it's a solid brand. Don't take the cheap water cooling kits and even the expensive ones will likely only be on par or slightly better (allowing maybe 100 Mhz higher clockspeeds) at the cost of being excruciatingly loud.

One thing I do notice is the Gigabyte motherboard. I've read that the whole range of Gigabyte X99 motherboards had some serious issues. They can probably address those through future bios update and maybe it's already happened. I think the first bios updates were meant to help but didn't fix as much... Unless you have a keen brand liking to Gigabyte I would suggest looking at Asus, MSI or even Asrock, however if you really wanna go with your first choice then at least check and make sure they've worked out their issues!

Last note, did you consider looking at any M.2 or even pci express ssds? I only thought of those after I ordered my own parts last week, but my budget probably didn't have room for them regardless, however you're spending a good chunk of money on ssd's and a faster ssd might be welcome to you.