2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2014 8:44 AM by bogiesan

A few questions about After Effects and CGI (Computer-generated Imagery)

pek859

Hi,

I'm very new to After Effects and this forum. But I have a few questions.

Now, I have recently started a movie project with my friend at a workshop. It's an action/sci-fi film and I'm probably going to be the editor and if needed in charge of visual and/or special effects. This sounds like a pretty big job for a noob, but we don't have a time limit with the project so there's time to learn.

But to my questions. I've thought of introducing CGI to myself (very simple of course). I've studied the use of blender, and I think I'll use it for the modelling and animation. But should Ae be used in any stage of producing the CGI or should everything be done in blender? If I do, how? Am I going in the wrong direction (wrong kind of software, etc.)?

Also, I'm not talking of fully producing the scene with the computer, but adding things like characters or items, maybe special effects.

I'm hoping for an answer to all my questions, but if you have just one or two answers I'm happy to hear them too. You're also welcome to correct me if I've misunderstood something. Please ask for further specifications if you need any!

• 1. Re: A few questions about After Effects and CGI (Computer-generated Imagery)
          bogiesan Level 4

pek859 wrote:

1. I'm very new to After Effects and this forum. But I have a few questions.

2. Now, I have recently started a movie project with my friend at a workshop. It's an action/sci-fi film and I'm probably going to be the editor and if needed in charge of visual and/or special effects. This sounds like a pretty big job for a noob, but we don't have a time limit with the project so there's time to learn.

3. But to my questions. I've thought of introducing CGI to myself (very simple of course). I've studied the use of blender, and I think I'll use it for the modelling and animation. But should Ae be used in any stage of producing the CGI or should everything be done in blender? If I do, how? Am I going in the wrong direction (wrong kind of software, etc.)?

4. Also, I'm not talking of fully producing the scene with the computer, but adding things like characters or items, maybe special effects.

5. I'm hoping for an answer to all my questions, but if you have just one or two answers I'm happy to hear them too. You're also welcome to correct me if I've misunderstood something. Please ask for further specifications if you need any!

1. Welcome to the family. AE is big, Really big. It's hard. Really hard. You have no idea how hard AE is to learr and to master.

2. No time limit is good but you will need some money.

3. This is not a Blender forum. You want to explore filmmaking, CGI and Blender-specific forums for that kind of assistance.

4. AE is for your compositing and special effects. But you will need to learn how both apps work before you can decide how to divide up your project. A comparison would be shooting your film. Are you using a DSLR? Do you know why? Or are you using a GoPro? Another example might be Apple's Final Cut Pro. You can edit audio in it but it's better to use an audio application. You can do some special effects in FCP but it's best to do complex stuff in Motion of After Effects. How do you know what app is appropriate Lots of experience. Lots of failures.

5. We were all new to AE and to vidoe editing and to special effects at one time or another. The user forums are not places to learn how to use these applications. You do that with tutorials and books and tons of time. Learning to use Blender to make a robot move is one thing. Making the robot into a character that compels the audience to care about it is quite another. Using AE to create a layer of clouds is one thing. Having those clouds react to the bow waves created by your flying robot as it approaches sonic speeds is quite another challenge.

• 2. Re: A few questions about After Effects and CGI (Computer-generated Imagery)
            bogiesan Level 4

See the videos from NAB 2014. Andrew Kramer has much advice for the beginning effects and filmmakers in the world. Start here and link to Andrew's referenced clips, Peter Quinn especially (PeterQuinn on Vimeo), and then try to the interconnected links and explore the rest of the Adobe MAX happenings.

After Effects World keynote by Andrew Kramer by Rich Young