5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2014 6:16 AM by Benjamin Root

how to automate

sariel

Hi,

i looked and looked for the answer, (also in manual, community q's, and PS menu bar trials...), but could only find more advanced users' questions.

I have more "how-to" kind for less advanced.

My question is this: how do I automate a group of photos I have open in photoshop?

(EG,

I'd like to rotate them, zoom each to fill screen, then increase contrast, unsharp mask, then save each one as a jpeg with quality 8.)

Thanks!

• 1. Re: how to automate
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

sariel wrote:

Hi,

i looked and looked for the answer, (also in manual, community q's, and PS menu bar trials...), but could only find more advanced users' questions.

I have more "how-to" kind for less advanced.

My question is this: how do I automate a group of photos I have open in photoshop?

(EG,

I'd like to rotate them, zoom each to fill screen, then increase contrast, unsharp mask, then save each one as a jpeg with quality 8.)

Thanks!

Actually I do not think you know in Photoshop terms what you want.  Zooming does not change image size at all.  If you re-size and image to have the same number of pixels your display has with the same aspect ratio. If  your image did not start with the same aspect ratio as you display the image will distort. A portrait resized to a landscape aspect ratio will be very distorted you wind up with a fat head. 

If you want to batch automate something in Photoshop you fist must understand and know how to do what you want to automate.  Think about what you want to do.  When you know what you want to do we can help you automate it. You also need to realize image content vary all images don't sharpen the same nor do they re-size the same. So the automated process must use settings that generally work OK. 

I would also favor an Image Processor script over Photoshop automate batch.

• 2. Re: how to automate
            Benjamin Root MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Try rotating in Bridge and then cropping in Photoshop. Press Alt+Shift if you want to save the aspect ratio and the center point during cropping.

• 3. Re: how to automate
              sariel Level 1

Hi, thanks!

So what is "image processor script", and how would I do that, step by step?

Say, I wanted to rotate a group of 30 photos 90% clockwise, then save each as 8 qual. jpegs?

BTW, my email from this forum said I could either reply to the email or by visiting this  thread. However, I could not reply to a "no-reply" email, could I?

Took me several tries to get here and logging in properly in order to reply.

• 4. Re: how to automate
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Photoshop menu File>Scripts>Image Processor...  There is an even better Plug-in Script that yoy cab download fron the web called Image Processor Pro.  once installed you use it fron menu File>Automate>Image Processor Pro or from  Actions you have recorded parameters for in it which case when Played the script bypasses  displaying its Dialog and used the recorded dialog settings. Image Processor Pro v3.0 Released