3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2014 6:41 AM by equipment-studios

InDesign spelling default language

equipment-studios Level 1

Hi there,

I have an essential InDesign problem, which I cannot fix. Tryied google-ways and YouTube, but nowhere my specific problem is solved.

I have my complete iMac on English language although I produce most times German products. Now I tried to set up the spelling / dictionary options in InDesign to German 2006 because that's what I neeed 90% of my work.

System: Mac OSX

InDesign CC 2014

So I went through the preferences pane and looked up the dictionary's menu. There I changed from US to German 2006.

But the problem is every time I create a new text field within InDesign-documents, they are default set to Englisch:USA instead of German: 2006. How can I define German:2006 as default text field dictionary and spelling check-language?

Hope you can help me with this problem.

Thanks.

Regards,

Florian

• 1. Re: InDesign spelling default language
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The dictionary preference only chooses which dictionary to use for each language if you have a choice of more than one dictionary installed. The language itself is a character level attribute that is assigned in the styles you use, or can be set to a default with no files open by changing it in the character panel (but best to do it in your styles).

• 2. Re: InDesign spelling default language
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Getting every character and style into one language can be tricky when you are switching languages. I use this AppleScript, change the first line to the desired language

--------------------------------------

set lang to "German: Swiss"

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

set pstyles to all paragraph styles of active document

repeat with i from 1 to number of items in pstyles

try

set applied language of item i of pstyles to lang

end try

end repeat

set cstyles to all character styles of active document

repeat with i from 1 to number of items in cstyles

try

set applied language of item i of cstyles to lang

end try

end repeat

try

set applied language of every paragraph of every story of active document to lang

end try

try

set applied language of every paragraph of every cell of every table of every story of active document to lang

end try

end tell

• 3. Re: InDesign spelling default language
              equipment-studios Level 1

Thank you both for your help.

@Peter Spier: Thanks a lot for that way. I tried it and restarted InDesign several times. Every time German:2006 kept in the styles pane.