3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2006 10:32 AM by engmix

Site Check and Comments Please?

engmix
      Hi,
      I have been on and off working on my wife's site for some time and in various ways. First Flash, bad idea, then with tables, really code heavy, and relied to much on DW to do the work for me. So I did a redesign after reading quite a bit on HTML and CSS, and have a decent grasp of the concepts, and improving all of the time. In fact I will be diving into some server side tutorials very soon. Ugh. Anyway, created the majority of my pages using templates in DW8. Not "their" templates but my own. They seem to be fine but, I notice that they either load a bit slow, or flicker on load in Safari and IE6 on PC. My biggest gripe is, my CSS rollover buttons on the left of the page load slower than grass growing. Is there a way to preload these images? Any comments would be greatly appreciated, because I would like to take things up a notch. Below is the site in question.

http://www.sfrcreations.com/

Thanks for taking your time to look at this!
        • 1. Re: Site Check and Comments Please?
          Level 7
          engmix wrote:
          > Hi,
          > I have been on and off working on my wife's site for some time and in various
          > ways. First Flash, bad idea, then with tables, really code heavy, and relied to
          > much on DW to do the work for me. So I did a redesign after reading quite a bit
          > on HTML and CSS, and have a decent grasp of the concepts, and improving all of
          > the time. In fact I will be diving into some server side tutorials very soon.
          > Ugh. Anyway, created the majority of my pages using templates in DW8. Not
          > "their" templates but my own. They seem to be fine but, I notice that they
          > either load a bit slow, or flicker on load in Safari and IE6 on PC. My biggest
          > gripe is, my CSS rollover buttons on the left of the page load slower than
          > grass growing. Is there a way to preload these images? Any comments would be
          > greatly appreciated, because I would like to take things up a notch. Below is
          > the site in question.
          >
          > http://www.sfrcreations.com/
          >

I think it looks quite nice. Some will say they don't much care for the
          rollover links showing an enlarged image and to a certain extent it
          disturbed me, initially. But I got to thinking you need a bit of
          eye-candy, otherwise everything would be very boring.

One thing I noticed is on The 'Bracelets' page. If I click on 'Enlarge
          View' I get the same image of the firss bracelet, regardles what image I
          click on.....that doesnt happen on the 'Earings' page.

Overall I think you have done a good job visually......I have'nt looked
          at the code.

• 2. Re: Site Check and Comments Please?
            Level 1
            It looks like your host servers is the problem. My browser is still waiting for your web page to be loaded. Something is wrong with your server. Check with your tech support.

Painfully slow servers is NOT highly recommended.
            • 3. Re: Site Check and Comments Please?
              engmix Level 1
              OS and Deaf, than you for taking the time to check out the site. Thanks for spotting the mistake OS! OS, the code should be pretty decent? It validates both 1.0 Transitional and CSS.

Deaf, I contacted my Host about the sluggish server. I have to admit I am paying $5.99 per month for their starter package. I figured I could upgrade when ready. Perhaps I'm ready.