4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2014 1:33 AM by shumicse

How to save a layer as an alpha channel?

Monstrik Level 1

Is there a way to save a layer as an alpha channel? So later i can use it as a slection?

• 1. Re: How to save a layer as an alpha channel?
          shumicse Level 2

I dont know it will help you out or not, still sharing the instructions from where I get the idea of saving the layer here. Hope you will find it helpful.

1. Make the Channels panel the active panel.
          2. Alt + click (Option + click) the Create New Channel icon New Channel icon at the bottom of the Channels panel.
          3. In the New Channel dialog box, type a relevant name.
          4. If most of the image is to be masked (not selected), click the Masked Areas radio button.  If most of the image is to be selected, click the Selected Areas radio button.
          5. If desired, click the Color box to change the overlay color.
          6. Leave Opacity 50%, unless you desire otherwise.
          7. Click OK.
          8. The document window will be filled with either solid black if Masked Areas was chosen or solid white if Selected Areas was chosen.
          9. Make the composite color channel active by clicking in the visibility area and displaying its eye icon Eye icon.
          10. If Masked Areas was chosen...
            1. The document window will show the image covered by the overlay color.
            2. Type the letter d to make the foreground and background colors the default black and white default black.
            3. If white is not the foreground color, type the letter x until white is the foreground color default white.
            4. Type the letter b to make the Brush tool Brush tool the active tool.
            5. Using a brush size and softness of your choice, paint in the document window.  Wherever you paint with white paint, the mask will be erased.  Any part of the image not covered by the overlay color is being selected.  Painting with gray paint will partially select an area.
          11. If Selected Areas was chosen...
            1. The document window will show the image normally.
            2. Type the letter d to make the foreground and background colors the default black and white default black..
            3. If black is not the foreground color, type the letter x until black is the foreground color.
            4. Type the letter b to make the Brush tool Brush tool the active tool.
            5. Using a brush size and softness of your choice, paint in the document window.  Wherever you paint with black paint, the image will be covered by the overlay color.  Any part of the image covered with the overlay color is being masked, or de-selected.  Painting with gray paint will partially de-select an area.
          12. Repeat steps 2 through 11 as many times as needed to create individual custom selections.
          13. When finished, turn off the visibility of the alpha channel by clicking the alpha channel's eye icon Eye icon.
          14. Make the Layers panel the active panel by clicking the Layers tab.
          15. When the file is next saved, the alpha channel(s) will also be saved.
          • 2. Re: How to save a layer as an alpha channel?
            norman.sanders Most Valuable Participant

Go to the layer and Select > All

Edit > Copy

Go to Channels panel and click on Create New Channel Symbol at bottom of panel

Option click on the black rectangle Alpha 1 in the Channels panel

Edit> Paste

• 3. Re: How to save a layer as an alpha channel?
              norman.sanders Most Valuable Participant

Please click Correct if my response solved your problem, or post a reply if it did not.

• 4. Re: How to save a layer as an alpha channel?
                shumicse Level 2

I guess it should be solved now. That process works for me.