6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2014 4:09 PM by richardplondon

Coming unstuck with my jpeg workflow!

italiarsenal

I've used Lightroom for many years as my primary software for editing my RAW images and previously I've used photoshop elements as an organizer for those files once they were converted to Jpeg. However I've just started using Lightroom as an organizer to see if that works better for me and I've added my jpeg files and folders to my catalog. All works well except I'm getting unstuck in this scenario: Whilst organizing the jpegs on occasions I've been tempted to add a little additional edit in Lightroom but then afterwards I'm having problems saving those changes. My logical train of thought was to re export the image after the edit with the same file name and location so it would overwrite the previous jpeg with the changes I've made but Lightroom won't give me the option to overwrite the file, am I doing something wrong or am I going about this the wrong way?

• 1. Re: Coming unstuck with my jpeg workflow!
          dj_paige Level 9

Overwriting a file is almost never a good thing to do. Certainly, it is not a good thing to do in your situation.

After you edit the jpg file in Lightroom, your edits are automatically saved in the Lightroom database, you can't turn this off; there is no need to export at this point in time or for you to take any action, and certainly there is no need to export and overwrite.

You only export when you need the photo OUTSIDE of Lightroom.

• 2. Re: Coming unstuck with my jpeg workflow!
            italiarsenal Level 1

I see what you are saying but how do I make the changes take effect so when I use the file outside of Lightroom the edit has been saved? I've no desire to keep the original jpeg file.

• 3. Re: Coming unstuck with my jpeg workflow!
              dj_paige Level 9

Your ideas about how to use Lightroom don't match how Lightroom was designed, and will lead to trouble. So I recommend a change in your thought process and workflow.

Whenever you make a change to a photo in Lightroom, your change is immediately stored in the Lightroom database, and you can view the changes in Lightroom, not just when you make the change, but also months later if you open Lightroom. But in order to do this, you MUST keep the original JPG file, without renaming it, without moving it and without renaming or moving the folder that it is in. Just leave it where it is.

When you need a copy of the photo outside of Lightroom, you export the photo (but you do NOT overwrite the original). You consider the export temporary ... you may delete the export whenever you are done using it (e-mail, web, print, etc.), knowing that you can recreate it exactly at a later time from Lightroom by exporting it again.

Thus, the workflow needs to be ... retain the original photo ... delete exports when you are finished using them.

• 4. Re: Coming unstuck with my jpeg workflow!
                italiarsenal Level 1

Thanks, I understand what you are saying. I figured I was going down a route that wasn't intuitive and it would be a case of rethinking my workflow.

• 5. Re: Coming unstuck with my jpeg workflow!
                  areohbee Level 5

Hi italiarsenal,

There is nothing to stop you from exporting a photo and adding it to catalog, then deleting original, if that's really what you want to do, but as dj_paige said: Lr is designed to be a non-destructive editor (original never changes), and so has no "save (over original)" feature. Most of us understand this to be a good thing, since image quality never degrades (and editing options remain open), and in fact may get better as processing technology improves.

If your exports are NOT temporary (e.g. you want them always available outside Lightroom, for screen saver, or serving via DLNA server, or ... ), then use a publish service to keep exported copies "up to date" (always having latest Lr edits).

Rob

• 6. Re: Coming unstuck with my jpeg workflow!
                    richardplondon Level 4

If your exports are NOT temporary (e.g. you want them always available outside Lightroom, for screen saver, or serving via DLNA server, or ... ), then use a publish service to keep exported copies "up to date" (always having latest Lr edits).

Just for completeness and simplicity: there is nothing at all wrong EITHER, with simply overwriting exports after making further changes to the master image in LR - provided that these exports are NOT imported to the LR Catalog, LR is not affected and therefore doesn't care one way or the other.

That is all that Publish is doing anyway - except, sometimes one may delete an image inside LR without wanting that deletion being repeated for the corresponding exported version. A straight Export method won't try to do that.

Also to avoid any danger of confusion, I would advocate the definite and clear separation of imported image files, from exported image files.

RP