1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 20, 2014 10:50 AM by JimHess

Lightroom 5 to 6 update?

canondslruser

I am photographing a wedding a week on Tuesday and have been trailing a range of editing software. I particularly like Lightroom 5 and its capabilities. The creative cloud doesn’t interest me at this point as I prefer to purchase the full software with a licence key. Therefor my question is, if I purchase Lightroom 5 now will I get the update to Lightroom 6 next year?

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5 to 6 update?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You will get the Lightroom 6 upgrade if you choose to purchase the upgrade. Historically, it has cost about $79 for the upgrade. Moving from Lightroom 5 to Lightroom 6 will involve creating a copy of your existing catalog, but everything else should remain normal. Releases within a version (i.e. Lightroom 5.1, 5.2, etc.) are free updates to users who have purchased the version. But when a major release, such as Lightroom 6, comes there will be an upgrade cost involved.

As a side note, historically if someone purchases Lightroom within 30 days of a new major release they will qualify for a free upgrade. Adobe never announces release dates for new versions. It is sort of anticipated (I think) that there will be a Lightroom 5.7 before Lightroom 6 is released. But that is only my thinking. I'm only a user who has no inside information. And even if I did have inside information, I wouldn't be allowed to divulge it. That is the Adobe way of doing business.