10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2014 5:10 AM by dj_paige

Corrupt catalogue.

HeyUp

Hello,

I'm currently experiencing problems importing images in to LR5.6, after a discussion with Adobe tech guy ( Part session ended before result) I have a corrupt catalouge, how do I move on and start afresh?

Tried to create a new catalouge, but still have the same problem

• 1. Re: Corrupt catalogue.
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The easiest way would be to replace the corrupt catalog with one of your backups. How do you know that the catalog is corrupt?

• 2. Re: Corrupt catalogue.
            dj_paige Level 9

What problems importing? Describe in detail.

• 3. Re: Corrupt catalogue.
              HeyUp Level 1

That was the solution offered by the tech guy from adobe support

• 4. Re: Corrupt catalogue.
                HeyUp Level 1

When I click to import, all images are viewable but when I go to import, get " can't read file" also tried another memory card with the same result and the initial card is one with previous photos from a few weeks ago that loaded fine.

• 5. Re: Corrupt catalogue.
                  dj_paige Level 9

Let's mark this one down as atrociously bad solution from the Adobe tech rep, the number 287th worst advice on my list of over 700 pieces of bad advice from Adobe tech support.

This is not a corrupt catalog.

This is a permissions problem. The DESTINATION directory specified in Lightroom's Import dialog box is pointing to a folder that does not have WRITE permission. So ... you find out what DESTINASTION directory Lightroom is pointing to in the Import dialog box (not the DESTINATION directory you think it should be pointing to, not the DESTINATION directory that it was pointing to last week, but the DESTINATION directory it is pointing to right now, as seen by your own eyeballs looking at the Import dialog box), and you change the permissions on the directory to WRITE permission.

• 6. Re: Corrupt catalogue.
                    HeyUp Level 1

Cheers dj, not totally convinced what I just did is what you suggested, but It has worked

Thanks a lot.

Rob.

• 7. Re: Corrupt catalogue.
                      ClickTX

DJ,

I'm not technical, can you walk me through your instructions? When I try to import my pictures from a folder, only one picture from 2323 gets imported. I've tried to move the pictures to different folders but nothing seems to work.

"This is a permissions problem. The DESTINATION directory specified in Lightroom's Import dialog box is pointing to a folder that does not have WRITE permission. So ... you find out what DESTINASTION directory Lightroom is pointing to in the Import dialog box (not the DESTINATION directory you think it should be pointing to, not the DESTINATION directory that it was pointing to last week, but the DESTINATION directory it is pointing to right now, as seen by your own eyeballs looking at the Import dialog box), and you change the permissions on the directory to WRITE permission."

• 8. Re: Corrupt catalogue.
                        dj_paige Level 9

What is your operating system?

• 9. Re: Corrupt catalogue.
                          ClickTX Level 1

Thank you for your response! It's Windows 7 Professional.

• 10. Re: Corrupt catalogue.
                            dj_paige Level 9

Okay, first of all, I don't think you have the same problem as the other person in this thread if you were able to import one picture from 2323.

Are you sure that when you did the import, you selected ALL photographs available to import?

If that's not it, then please tell me exactly what steps you have followed, using the exact names of the Lightroom menu commands or exact names of the buttons you clicked on, all the steps, in  detail, that resulted in one picture imported from 2323. Also state in detail what happened when you tried these steps, and if there is an error message please quote it in its entirety, word-for-word, verbatim, complete, leaving nothing out.