5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2014 8:01 AM by john beardsworth

how to keep multiple computers in sync

badgermom1

I have 2 desktops and one laptop. I need to keep Lightroom synced among them. I could use some suggestions about how to do that.

• 1. Re: how to keep multiple computers in sync
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Technically speaking, your license only allows you to have two installations. The easiest way to have things synchronized on your computers would be to have the catalog and all the images on an external hard drive that you could move to the computer you are using. Lightroom is not a multiuser program. And the Lightroom license states that you can install on two computers for your personal use.

• 2. Re: how to keep multiple computers in sync
            badgermom1 Level 1

Technically speaking, I have a creative cloud account which allows me 2 installations of Lightroom and Photoshop, which I use on my two desktop computers. I have purchased separately a single license for Lightroom which I use on my laptop. My intention is to keep my 2 desktops, which reside in different residences in different states, on different networks, synced. Will it work to keep my catalog on Dropbox and have a drive at each location with the photo files? The photo folder structure is the same at each location, but the photos are stored locally and each location serves as a remote backup to the other. The laptop can be used for travel using a catalog merged into the Dropbox catalog when I return home, or used at home with the Dropbox catalog and whatever photo collection is available on the network the laptop is attached to.

I spend about 6 months in each location with visits back and forth every couple of months. Could or let me know the flaws in my proposed workflow and/or offer me a better alternative workflow?

• 3. Re: how to keep multiple computers in sync
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry, I didn't mean to seem judgmental. I haven't used the dropbox method you speak of, but others have. What I have read is that you need to make sure you allow sufficient time for dropbox to be updated. I know this isn't answering your question, but hopefully a little activity will draw attention and someone who really knows will be able to give you more definitive help.

• 4. Re: how to keep multiple computers in sync
                badgermom1 Level 1

Actually, you did answer my question. Since my two locations are about 1200 miles apart, there should not be an issue on updating dropbox! It should have at least 8 hours to update. But I will be sure to check before I open the file.

• 5. Re: how to keep multiple computers in sync
                  john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

badgermom1 wrote:

Actually, you did answer my question. Since my two locations are about 1200 miles apart, there should not be an issue on updating dropbox! It should have at least 8 hours to update. But I will be sure to check before I open the file.

It's not just a matter of checking before you open the file. When you close the catalogue on one computer, you need to check it gets uploaded to Dropbox - if not, on the other computer you risk opening an older version of the catalogue.