5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2009 3:13 PM by Phrankie

ActionScript 3.0 -- Sending MIDI messages

Phrankie
      I'm looking for ActionScript 3.0 methods that allow me to send NoteOn MIDI messages and MIDI continuous controller streams such as pitch bend.

Last time I checked Flash had very limited MIDI control -- it could only play whole MIDI files! Does ActionScript 3.0 have offer more specific control?

Anybody in the know?

MIDI is the most efficient and flexible music delivery tool. It’s VERY powerful asset that Flash would be wise to support. When Flash/ActionScript supports MIDI, you’ll see what I mean. To date Flash has grossly underutilized the MIDI protocol.

John Blasquez
        • 1. Re: ActionScript 3.0 -- Sending MIDI messages
          abeall Level 3
          The bottom line is no, AS3 doesn't support anything new in the Sound world.

However - and this is a big however - AS3 does support some new low level data classes, such as ByteArray, which some people have been doing some amazing experiments with, including some primitive tests with creating sound and dynamic audio control like you describe. Unfortunately I don't have any links, and the examples so far have not been quite ready for real use, but that's to say there may be hope.

Regardless, it does seem Flash is over due for some new Sound abilities. I'd love to see .ogg support in Flash(actually, someone used the method above to create a SWF which could load .ogg files, pretty crazy, but it didn't work perfectly.)
          • 2. Re: ActionScript 3.0 -- Sending MIDI messages
            Phrankie Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: Phrankie
            I'm looking for ActionScript 3.0 methods that allow me to send NoteOn MIDI messages and MIDI continuous controller streams such as pitch bend.

Last time I checked Flash's ActionScript had very limited MIDI control -- it could only play whole MIDI files! Does ActionScript 3.0 have offer more specific control?

MIDI is the most efficient and flexible tool for delivering music over the internet and in applicaitons. It’s a VERY powerful asset that ActionScript really ought to support -- when ActionScript supports MIDI messages, you’ll see what I mean!

John Blasquez

As previously mentioned, to date Flash has grossly underutilized the MIDI protocol. Just as the computer industry underestimated the importance of music -- until Apple's iTunes, iPod, etc. -- the animation/interactive sectors of the industry have a similar blind spot for MIDI.

Anybody else want to throw their hat?

Anybody know the best way to direct enhancement requests to the Adobe ActionScript team?

John Blasquez
            • 3. Re: ActionScript 3.0 -- Sending MIDI messages
              Phrankie Level 1
              It seems that FlashMIDI hasn't been updated in a couple of years.

www.alexisisaac.net/products/flashMidi

Any comments on that product, or suggestions on something newer or better.

I've got a few Flash and Flex projects that will 100 times more compelling with MIDI. And there's one project that needs to stay in Java/Swing until there are built-in or third party MIDI methods for ActionScript.

Even if I burden these projects with audio clips, I'll never achieve the flexibility of MIDI. Again, does anybody know the best place to submit enhancement requests to the Adobe ActionScript team?

ActionScript with MIDI will be a whole new world. Build it and they will come!

John
              • 4. Re: ActionScript 3.0 -- Sending MIDI messages
                Phrankie Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: Phrankie
                MIDI is the most efficient and flexible tool for delivering music over the internet and in applications. It’s a VERY powerful asset that ActionScript really ought to support -- when ActionScript supports MIDI messages, you’ll see what I mean!
                John Blasquez

I believe this is an important point, so I'll try saying it a different way.

MIDI is to digital audio as vectors are to digital artwork.

It's great that Adobe leverages the efficiency of vector graphic into Flash. Imagine if animators could only use pixel base artwork in Flash... files would be huge, and flexibility and editability dramatically reduced.

The lack of MIDI support in Flash’s "audio toolbox" is tantamount to Flash without vectors.

I strongly encourage Adobe to expand ActionScripter by adding extended MIDI support. PLEASE give ActionScripters methods for sending MIDI messages, such as NoteOn MIDI and continuous controller streams such as pitch bend. And give us tools for accessing an array of available MIDI synthesizers. Ideally Flash Player and Flash Player plug-ins will host a flexible synthesizer, but in the meantime, allow us to access the synths in QuickTime player, QuickTime plug-in, WMP or Java.

John
                • 5. Re: ActionScript 3.0 -- Sending MIDI messages
                  Phrankie Level 1
                  Anybody else interested in MIDI support in ActionScript,AIR, Flex, Flash?

If so, please cast your vote in an ongoing discussion here:

https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-123

... and you can create an individual post/request here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish/

Anyone can read the discussion at the bugs.adobe links. Adn there is quite an intelligent thread on this topic. However, if you wish to vote or add a comment you need to log in. Unfortunately your Adobe forum account won't work there, so you'd need to create an account for that area. It just takes a minute, and it's free. You know the routine: user name, password, reenter password, email address ... and that's about it.

If MIDI is of any importance to you, PLEASE let Adobe know.

Phrankie