12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2014 5:27 PM by A.T. Romano

Exported video shudders

Bob from Aus

Using Adobe Premier Elements to edit AVGHD @ 50 frames. No matter what file I export it to, I get a shudder in the video image, but not stills in the same video. Original video has no shudder and I can import and export in a free video editing program with no shudder in the export.

• 1. Re: Exported video shudders
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is your input video upper or lower field first, and what is your export setting?

• 2. Re: Exported video shudders
            A.T. Romano Level 7

bob

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What are the properties of your source video? What is the project preset that is being used by the project to match the properties of

your source media?

You say that your video is AVCHD @ 50 frames - please confirm

a. AVCHD @ 50 progressive frames per second

or

b. AVCHD 50i which would be AVCHD @ 25 interlaced frames per second

What is the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded this source video? That might be a quick way to get at the video audio

properties.

What is your intended export? Let us focus on one particular one so that we can define the Advanced export settings.

Please review and consider and then we will move forward based on the details that you supply. The answers will be in

the details.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...What are the pixel dimensions of the stills, how many of them are there in the Timeline content...what is the total duration

of the Timeline that you are exporting?

• 3. Re: Exported video shudders
              Bob from Aus Level 1

Thanks for all your questions. I don't understand them all

I will go through my manuals and see which I can understand. Sorry that I'm on a big learning curve.

• 4. Re: Exported video shudders
                Bob from Aus Level 1

Oops sorry I'm using Premier Elements 11

• 5. Re: Exported video shudders
                  Bob from Aus Level 1

"Is your input video upper or lower field first, and what is your export setting?"

Is your input video upper or lower field first - I have not come across this term - sorry

I'm using AVCHD and tried various MPG 4 files

• 6. Re: Exported video shudders
                    Bob from Aus Level 1

Adobe Premier Elements 11 on Windows 7 Pro

Canon XA 20

AVCHD 50.00i 17Mbps

I intend to export to MP4

"What are the properties of your source video?"

I can't find any information about the Canon video files other than what is in a small table in the manual.

"What is the project preset that is being used by the project to match the properties of

your source media?"

I can't find presets in the Premier software

Thank you ATR

• 7. Re: Exported video shudders
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

bob

Your camera could have recorded interlaced video or progressive video.

When you have interlaced video then there is the possibility for "Upper Field First" or "Lower Field First".

All that plus the project has to be set up correctly to get the best results for importing, editing, and exporting.

John's question does not apply if you are using progressive video, that is, your AVCHD @ 50 progressive frames per second.

What can make this confusing is, if you see that your camera is recording what is labelled 50i. That 50i is not 50 frames per second.

What it really is is 25 interlaced frames per second (also known as 50 field per second).

At this point, you may be wondering "So, what?" If your video is interlaced video that might explain some of the problems that you

are seeing in the playback. If we know that your camera is not recording interlaced video, then we do not ask any more questions about

that type of video, and our troubleshooting is directed elsewhere.

If you are having problems understanding this, maybe we can get the information that we need to help you

by knowing the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video. Do you know that or can you

find out? With that we can figure out the rest, down to the project setting to try to overcome the problem.

Please let us know if what I have written clarifies the situation for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Exported video shudders
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

bob

I did not see your post 6 until I posted my reply numbered 7.

It is going to take me a few minutes. I will be back with a full detailed workflow

for you to try.

Just wanted to let you know that I just saw your post 6.

To be continued...

ATR

Add On...Forgot to mention...great information, thanks.

• 9. Re: Exported video shudders
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

bob

Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 (assumed 64 bit)

For this test, just use your video, no stills in this one. Our focus is the display problems in the export of the video.

1. Open a new project to the Expert workspace. And, in the Expert workspace, go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

2. In Change Settings, set for

PAL

AVCHD

Full HD 1080i25

(for now I am assuming that your audio is Stereo and not 5.1 channel)

After you exit Change Settings, you will be facing the New Project dialog with your new project preset.

Before you OK there, make sure that you put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" in

the New Project dialog.

3. Now back in the Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders/ to bring your video into the project's Project Assets.

From Project Assets, drag you video to the Timeline.

4. Exports to explore....

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = M2T H.264 1920 x 1080i25

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

with Presets = MPEG2 1920 x 1080i25

For now use the defaults for these presets and determine if any give you good results.

When you see this display problem, is it a moment of increased activity in the scene?

Looking forward to your results.

Any questions, please let us know. We will re-write if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Exported video shudders
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>I'm on a big learning curve

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help

• 11. Re: Exported video shudders
                              Bob from Aus Level 1

Hi ATR

Many thanks. You deserve a big box of chocolates. I changed the settings as you suggested and I used a file that showed the original export shudder problems to make a new project.

I exported the new project to three formats you had written and no longer have the issue of the video shuddering.

As far as I can see once a project has started the settings can't be changed. Edit > Project settings (not many options)

I will now look at the link you suggested.

Not understanding my problem made it impossible to know where to start so thanks again

• 12. Re: Exported video shudders
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

bob

You addressed the reply to me (ATR) regarding my suggestions that worked for you.

But you started with Hi John. I am not John. You have been exchanging information on the successful settings with ATR.

But, your success was great news for all, great news and great job. Glad that all worked out for you. Which one of the exports turned out to give you the best results? Or did they all give acceptable results?

Once you set the project preset and get into the program and decide you need another project preset, you are left to

start a new project (There is a longer story that goes with that, but I will leave it at that for now.) The best use of Edit Menu/Project Settings/General is to verify what project preset has been set rather than to use it as a place to make any significant changes in the project settings.

After a while, project presets and all the rest will become second nature to you. Exploration and experimentation with the program will expedite

matters. And, never hesitate to ask questions or ask for clarification.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR