4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2014 8:34 PM by A.T. Romano

Video Offline - How do I get my video back?

Leeat Level 1

This is the second time this has happened to me with adobe premiere elements. I went to open a video I have been editing and it says 'media offline'. And then when I try to search for it is says the video can't be found.

How can I get my video back?

• 1. Re: Video Offline - How do I get my video back?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Leeat

What version of Premiere Elements are you working with and on what computer operating system is it running?

Have you been moving, deleting, or renaming files and folders that were imported into the project after you saved closed the project?

When you import media into a project, all you get are copies of the originals in the project. But the copies need to trace back to the

originals where they were located when they were first imported into the project. Does any of that apply to you?

If not, do you store any of your source media on an external hard drive? if so, the external hard drive may be malfunctioning and/or the

drive letter may be changing for a variety of reasons.

To get your project source media reconnected, best use the "Where is the file....?" messages one by one, targeting the exact file name

that the message is looking for. The message does not know where the files are. You have to direct the message to the place where

you know the file are (exact name of file) and then click select in the message. After you have processed a few of these messages, the rest of the missing media  may kick into place automatically...depends. Have you been there and done that?

Can you actually see the files that you are looking for on the hard drive or have they disappeared from their original hard drive save

location?

Please review and consider and then we will decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Video Offline - How do I get my video back?
            Leeat Level 1

Hi,

I am using premiere elements 11 I have windows 8 asus computer 64bit

I have not moved the files or renamed them. I can still see the elements file on my desktop where I have saved my video, but when I try to open it it comes up with the 'where is my file?' search bar and when I type in the name and find the file it says "file import failure" 'error message this type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed'

I've tried opening both the myprojectname.prel and myprojectname.log and both come up with the same error

I have the original files that I used to create the video but there are 5 or 6 video clips that made up my video - if I opened one of those I would just have to start from scratch wouldn't I?

• 3. Re: Video Offline - How do I get my video back?
              Leeat Level 1

Actually, I just moved all those original video files to the desktop and the video appeared again - weird.

Thanks for your help!

• 4. Re: Video Offline - How do I get my video back?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Leeat

Great news. All is well now.

If you have the project open and all is well, you might want to archive it in case of emergency.

Please see File Menu/Project Archiver/Copy Project Option.

Please review the following for the details of how this feature saves a copy of your project file along with the copies of

the source media in the Copied Folder that is generated in the Project Archiver/Copy Project feature. You open the

project file in the Copied Folder and it traces back to the copies in the Copied Folder.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

Please let us if you have any questions or need clarification.

Thanks.

ATR