16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2014 7:21 AM by bford225

Qr code idea

bford225 Level 1

Hi , i have an idea for a Qr Code, i was wondering can Qr codes be used to download images and videos? 2nd  can a Qr code be used to down load a image of a business card? if so how would that be created? 3rd. can it be used to down load a portfolio gallery ? and last can you put bussienss card in a qr code and then have more qr codes on the downloadable bussiness card? also can you do something like put a list inside of a qr code? like example

1. portrait gallery

2 video gallery

3 facebook link

and each have there own small qr code in them?

• 1. Re: Qr code idea
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

QR codes are just quick links to a website.

You can make a microsite and then link to that from the QR code.

You can put whatever you like on your microsite/website.

• 2. Re: Qr code idea
            Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Your website can have QR codes, but they aren't much good to you as far as I can see. With what would you scan them? QR codes are for the real world.

• 3. Re: Qr code idea
              Danny Whitehead. Level 4

QR codes are for printed items, either to direct the user to a URL (which could be a gallery or a Facebook page) or to add a contact to their phone. Once you're in the digital realm, they're of no use. Even when used as intended, they're a gimmick that not many people actually use. I expect they'll look rather quaint a few years from now.

• 4. Re: Qr code idea
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Not necessarily. I’ve seen them on websites, as well, usually to give readers a quick way to download an app or make a phone call.

• 5. Re: Qr code idea

QR codes don't have to be for print or web or epubs, it can be for most mediums.

I often test the QR code directly on the screen from InDesign by simply holding the camera in front of it.

• 6. Re: Qr code idea

That's for testing, but in most cases the camera people might use is the camera they are viewing the web site on. People with two smartphones might benefit, I suppose.

• 7. Re: Qr code idea

QR apps allow the user to save a QR code and run it through the app - so it doesn't necessarily have to be for camera only.

Also, if it's the case you can your QR code into a button and hyperlink it where you want it to go.

Instruct users to click, scan or touch the QR code to access.

• 8. Re: Qr code idea

And another thing.

For a PDF you could set up the QR Code as this.

<QR CODE IMAGE>

Individual Text Frames for

"Scan with QR App" | "Click" | "Touch"

Then for the PDF - you can set each up as Button and this will allow you to specify which buttons appear in PDF and which ones print (so you can mark the "Click" and "Touch" to be non-printable).

• 9. Re: Qr code idea

That may be true, but would you bother? Surely it's putting a huge obstacle in the way of the user who just wants to _follow a link_. What is possible may not be sensible.

• 10. Re: Qr code idea

How is it an obstacle?

• 11. Re: Qr code idea

If it's a live link, it isn't much of an obstacle - except that I wouldn't necessarily expect a QR code to be a live link, I'd think it was some kind of excess of design over common sense...which I believe this is. If you want a link, make a link. This is solving a nonexistent problem.

• 12. Re: Qr code idea
                                Danny Whitehead. Level 4

Bob Levine wrote:

Not necessarily. I’ve seen them on websites, as well, usually to give readers a quick way to download an app or make a phone call.

Point conceded. My QR-phobia got the better of me!

I still think they're impractical gimmick in the vast majority of cases, and in the case of the OP's idea, I think they would hinder navigation and annoy users.

Maybe some music could be added to the galleries, to really send them packing.

• 13. Re: Qr code idea

I'm not a huge fan of them either. I have used them in the past. In fact I set up a redirect page for the QR code so I could track how many people scanned it - and it was a big fat 0 amount of people that used it.

They are cumbersome to use too, if you don't have an app to scan them then you have to download and app, then scan then QR code, wait for it to load etc.

I don't see what the big fuss is with them - but if a client wants one to be used, then I use them.

• 14. Re: Qr code idea
                                    bford225 Level 1

thank you all. for the information. just one thing. i noticed in indesign cc that there is no QR Code creator for images or videos

so how can i add a image of a business card to a QR Code?

• 15. Re: Qr code idea
                                      Danny Whitehead. Level 4

Upload the image, get the URL of the image and make the QR code link to it.

How do you expect people are actually going to use that image of a business card?

• 16. Re: Qr code idea
                                        bford225 Level 1

okay i can see in my head how it would work. so i will upload my image of my business card that i make in Illustrator cc upload it to adobe Bussiness Catalyst partner plan. under the digial download section. from there get the link as you said  and copy and past it into the url line in the QR Code creator right?

yes i forgot to menioned i am adobe bussiness partner. i have a free web site. 

file manager, so i would make a bussiness card folder and upload the file there. 

same with pressation web site gallery

okay i get it.

thanks