2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2014 4:27 PM by Bowzetto

Is Exploit-SWF a trojan and how does it affect Webkinz?

Bowzetto Level 1

I play Webkinz. It's a graphic web game [Flash based] been around for many years [10+]. I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and use Firefox as the main browser. When I try and open Webkinz [www.webkinz.com] McAfee tells me Exploit-SWF, a trogan has been quarantined. I then can't open Webkinz and play. Closes automatically.

Chrome lets me play it even after McAfee quarantines the Exploit-SWF. Didn't try IE yet.

Is Exploit-SWF a dangerous item? Should I tell McAfee to disregard it? McAfee only started this problem since I got the latest version [2014] I prefer FF and want to stick with it as the browser.

If anyone can just tell me Exploit-SWF is nothing to worry about. Or is it??

Thanks in advance,

Ellen

• 1. Re: Is Exploit-SWF a trojan and how does it affect Webkinz?
          Preran Adobe Employee

Not sure about how it affects Webkinz but this link should help with the first part of your question

Exploit:SWF/CVE-2014-0515

Thanks,

Preran

• 2. Re: Is Exploit-SWF a trojan and how does it affect Webkinz?
            Bowzetto Level 1

Thanks Preran,

Googled info about the swf exploit and read stuff from Microsoft.

<quote> Buffer overflow in Adobe Flash Player before 11.7.700.279 and 11.8.x through 13.0.x before 13.0.0.206 on Windows and OS X, and before 11.2.202.356 on Linux, allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via unspecified vectors, as exploited in the wild in April 2014. </quote>

I have Flash Player ver. 15.0.0.189

Does the exploit affect this version of the player? According to the article, no. What harm would it do if I allowed it to play and didn't quarantine it? Could it just be a quirk of McAfee and it's "over sensitivity" to something that is NOT dangerous?

I'll google some more and see what I can find.

But if you know of anything else, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ellen