8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2014 6:26 AM by wizilinx

How do you get support when noone on community can help you?

wizilinx

How do you get support when noone on community can help you?

When I try to chat with adobe - nothing happens - I have tied two browsers.

I have a show stopping problem that I have now spent two solid days trying to get around.

When I export to html the numbering and paragraph formatting goes wrong. This means I cannot create an epub file. PDF is perfect. In InDesign it looks perfect.

I have posted this on community. I started on Friday. I reposted yesterday. Nothing...

I would really appreciate some help.

Cheers

Jon

• 1. Re: How do you get support when noone on community can help you?
          pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Jon,

We apologize for not reaching out to you timely.

Which version of InDesign are you using? What exactly is the issue you are using- it would help me if you could post some screenshots of the problem.

Regards,

Pooja

• 2. Re: How do you get support when noone on community can help you?
            wizilinx Level 1

I am using CC - I joined subscription about three weeks ago.

My problem seems to be that when I export my document to an epub the

numbering and format goes wrong. I then published it to html and noticed

that the problem still occurred.

As I said pdf and InDesign document look perfect.

If I export and not map numbering and I convert it to text everything is

resolved. However, that is not how I want it.

I have had this problem now for four days and spent two solid days trying

to get around it. I feel I want to throw InDesign out of the window, at the

moment.

I attach a pdf that shows the problem before I realised that the html went

wrong. I am also attaching my indesign file.

Also I am disappointed by the resulting epub. Having gone to a lot of

trouble formatting things they don't come out right. For instance, table of

contents - It only seems to do 2 levels and the third level appears at the

same level as the second etc... etc,,

Cheers

Jon

• 3. Re: How do you get support when noone on community can help you?
              Derek Cross Level 6

Hi Jon

When you state you got InDesign CC three weeks ago, do you mean you've only been using the application for a few weeks?

If so, you'll need some training to produce ePubs from InDesign (you can produce both fixed and variable text ePubs). Producing ePubs is a completely different animal than producing them for print, it's not intuitive at all. I would recommend that you have a look at Anne-Marie Concepcion's tutorials on Lynd.com. For example: http://www.lynda.com/EPUB-tutorials/InDesign-CC-EPUB-Fundamentals/143324-2.html

I believe you can get a free week's trial.

Of course you can also ask specific questions on this forum.

Derek

• 4. Re: How do you get support when noone on community can help you?
                pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Jon,

Convert to text will give the exact appearance as in InDesign but if you want semantic mark-up for lists, then map to ordered lists is the right choice.

InDesign uses heuristics to map structural elements with html equivalents.For example, if there is a paragraph following a bulleted list, then whether that paragraph will become part of list in EPUB/HTML if its left indent is greater than or equal to that of the list item. So, the appearance of list in EPUB will not match InDesign in this case.

I would request you to please elaborate more on the exact issue. Like I said, screenshots are better and will help me understand about the problem you are encountering.

Regards,

Pooja

• 5. Re: How do you get support when noone on community can help you?
                  wizilinx Level 1

I know all all that... I even have watched the tutorial. In fact I have

watched every one I could find. I used to have InDesign before. I have used

QuarkXPress, Pageplus. Microsoft Publisher and others etc.. I have been in

DTP for a while, I represent a publishing company who has produced a number

of Kindle books before. I use Sigil and Calibre. I have been publish

electronic books since 1998.. I thought InDesign was supposed to be the

KIng.. It certainly is very good except for this problem!

So I am quite offended by your cheekiness!!!! Please look at the screen

shots that I spent a long time producing and then suggest what could be

going wrong.. That should not take you long.. you could say that is likely

to be your paragraphs styles, character styles, export options or even

CSS... If you think it is my fault point me to a tutorial that specifically

deals with page number and why it looks good in InDesign and PDF's? How can

you explain that?

Thank you

Jon

• 6. Re: How do you get support when noone on community can help you?
                    wizilinx Level 1

According to my sent box I sent you a correct mail with the correct attachments?

So I don't know what to do?

Cheers

Jon

• 7. Re: How do you get support when noone on community can help you?
                      Derek Cross Level 6

I think being a bit more polite when you reply to someone on this forum trying to be helpful would be a good start!

• 8. Re: How do you get support when noone on community can help you?
                        wizilinx Level 1

You are absolutely right!!

I am sorry.

I did know I was talking to the community as I have contacted Adobe direct

with this issue and I have not made any progress since Thursday and I work

every day.. So I was getting very frustrated..

I was confused with who I was talking with and suddenly felt that I was

being treated like a beginner. I had previous exchanges so I was surprised

to take a big back step. My supporting files that took me a while to put

together were not referred to. I assume you don't have files - again I

didn't know that.

Again I am sorry I got the wrong end of the stick.

It seems I have the answer and it really isn't what I expected nor does it

make sense to me, Numbering will change and mess up you formatting when

exporting to HTML as it does not take you paragraph style and character

style ect.. it suddenly starts using where the text is left to right  - why

I still am not sure... But now I know inDesign does not map numbers as I

would expect

Cheers

Jon