3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2014 12:18 AM by Jeremy bowmangraphics

    Table of contents creation deletes text of entire document

    Jeremy bowmangraphics Level 2

      Every time I try to create a TOC for the document I'm working on, InDesign either tells me the TOC has been updated — in which case the entire text of the document has just disappeared — or else it loads the cursor and gives me nothing but the title "Contents". Am I doing something obviously wrong?

       

      (I've already done the IDML round-trip and the delete preferences.)

       

      Thanks! — Jeremy

        • 1. Re: Table of contents creation deletes text of entire document
          Jeremy bowmangraphics Level 2

          OOps, sorry, I meant to post this on the main forum, will try to fix that.

          • 2. Re: Table of contents creation deletes text of entire document
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

            @Jeremy – if your TOC is part of the main threaded text, that is holding your contents of the document ( = both, TOC and contents is in the same story), an update of the TOC will:

             

            1. Create a new TOC (and removing all contents of the whole story at the same time).

            2. The TOC will be empty, because there is no contents anymore to update it.

             

            So the solution is:

            Create your TOC in a separate story.

            And update then.

             

            If your TOC is already in a separate story (not threaded to anything else), then we have a different case (and I have no clue what's going on).

             

            Uwe

            • 3. Re: Table of contents creation deletes text of entire document
              Jeremy bowmangraphics Level 2

              Thanks, Uwe.

               

              When I initially created the TOC, I put it into a separate story, and the TOC was empty — but the main text (which is in another single story) remained. Then when I updated the TOC, the main story was replaced with the word "Conents" (same as the TOC).

               

              So I have no clue what's going on either! It must be some sort of file corruption not repaired by the IDML round-trip. Your own bafflement suggested that file corruption was the problem rather than some silly mistake I was making.

               

              However, great news: I made a new document, pasted the main story into it, and now everything seems to be working in this new document.

               

              Many thanks again for your help, especially since I foolishly posted my question in the wrong forum.