1 2 Previous Next 59 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2016 4:14 PM by cameronclarkanimation Branched to a new discussion.

AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview

jansem

Since I have updated to Yosemite on my MacBook Retina i7 with 8gb of Ram AE (Recent Version) shows me a strange behavior. After the RAM Preview rendering is accomplished the ram preview should start on the beginning but it skipping the first second or so. This happens with every Ram Preview, no matter if i choose a specific zone or the beginning of the composition. The RAM Preview loops perfectly like always. It is really annoying.

• 1. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is already a thread on this subject. It is a known bug. Additional bug reports would help clear it up if you include all the specifics. Happens for me in CC and CC2014 and CS6

• 2. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Yes, this is just a bug with Mac OSX v10.10 (Yosemite). We're investigating.

The RAM preview should play normally after the first time through.

• 3. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
              blegneger

What is the status on this?

• 4. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> What is the status on this?

We're working on it.

• 6. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                  LKMG7

Has the bug for this problem been resolved yet?

• 7. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

When we have information to share, we will share it.

• 8. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                      LKMG7 Level 1

Thank you very much Todd, where abouts can I keep my eye out for this information?

• 10. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                        Thisaintguy

I can't believe the issue has been known this long, you have released multiple updates since then and none has fixed the issue.

• 11. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                          creggor Level 1

Still not fixed with latest update... (2014.2 build 13.2.0.49)

• 12. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                            NimpsyStudio User Group Manager

Still skipping first second after update. This is not good.

• 13. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The reason that this bug isn't fixed in the recent After Effects update is because the bug appears to be in Mac OSX v10.10 (Yosemite). Note that this bug affects every version of After Effects and only began with the Mac OSX v10.10 (Yosemite) update.

We are working with Apple to isolate and fix this problem.

• 14. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                HerrRotkohl Level 1

... I cant' believe it: OSX 10.10.2 is released and this annoying Bug is still there! It is there for over 4 Month!

You are working with Apple to isolate and fix this problem?  And? Did you isolated anything? When do you start fixing something?

:-(

• 15. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                  thanky34475092

It's driving me nuts! :/ please fix!

• 16. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                    martinstacey Level 1

yeah please fix it.

• 17. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This bug is Apple's to fix.

We have a fix in development to work around the issue on our side, and we intend to release an update with that fix this spring. But to fix this for all versions of After Effects requires Apple to patch their operating system. They are aware of the issue.

• 18. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                        HerrRotkohl Level 1

there is already a long and frustration forums discussion about this issue:

The specified item was not found.

I'm really tired of this constantly putting the blame on someone else (Apple in this case). That doesn't help.

Adobe constantly calls it a bug by Apple. But maybe it is some useful OS-improvement (that Adobe hasn't noticed early enough)?

I cant' tell. Nobody knows.

Both of these billions-of money-earnig companies (Apple ans Adobe) have to communicate better and more early.

And Adobe has to stop telling, that their current AE Version is "good to go" with Yosemite - That's not true.

you should't follow this recommendation by Adobe if you want to work with AE in a fluent way.

After Effects good to go with Mac OSX v10.10 (Yosemite) | After Effects region of interest

• 19. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                          HerrRotkohl Level 1

Todd_Kopriva schrieb:

We have a fix in development to work around the issue on our side, and we intend to release an update with that fix this spring. But to fix this for all versions of After Effects requires Apple to patch their operating system. They are aware of the issue.

As a professional AE-User, all I need is a proper working version of the most recent AE version running on the most recent Operation System (Yosemite) on the most recent computer hardware. And I need it now.

No urgent need for a perfect RAM-Preview for older AE Versions. (I use older versions mostly for re-open and converting older AE-Projekts. Not really often)

So, what I am waiting for is Adobe's fix.

(Apple is constructing cars in the meantime)

Developers of Software like Adobe AE should try to provide their Software running on recent OS.

OS's are changing, becoming improved. Thats the way it goes. Progress...

We are waiting for this Adobe fix, day by day.

When spring begins in march, it will be half a year of AE skipping first seconds in Ram preview.

No glory.

• 20. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                            callahoohoo@gmail.com

Per AE System Requirements: Mac OS X v10.8, v10.9 or v10.10

I am using 10.10. 

I'm paying per month because -as Adobe said in the first place- perpetual licensing allows constant updates to benefit the user so we wouldn't have to wait for a new "upgrade" to fix the problems (among other reasons).

I didn't think that meant waiting over 1/4 year to fix a bug affecting one of the most commonly used tasks.  Literally.  I hit RAM Preview over a hundred times a day.  Anyone who uses AE does.  This is frustrating; it is a software issue.

Please pass this up the chain and don't blame it on Apple.  Only release updates that work as advertised on the platform you're writing for.  If not, advise this on the System Requirements page.  Please.

Excuse the sour mood.  I'm frustrated.

• 21. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                              HerrRotkohl Level 1

callahoohoo@gmail.comwrote:

Per AE System Requirements: Mac OS X v10.8, v10.9 or v10.10

I am using 10.10.

I'm paying per month because -as Adobe said in the first place- perpetual licensing allows constant updates to benefit the user so we wouldn't have to wait for a new "upgrade" to fix the problems (among other reasons).

I didn't think that meant waiting over 1/4 year to fix a bug affecting one of the most commonly used tasks.  Literally.  I hit RAM Preview over a hundred times a day.  Anyone who uses AE does.  This is frustrating; it is a software issue.

Please pass this up the chain and don't blame it on Apple.  Only release updates that work as advertised on the platform you're writing for.  If not, advise this on the System Requirements page.  Please.

Excuse the sour mood.  I'm frustrated.

Yes.

Hello Tod,

Could you please change the advise on the System Requirements page?

It would be honest and righteous to the users and subscribers.

(Regardless who you want to blame for the bug)

AE System Requirements: Mac OS X v10.8, v10.9 (no v10.10 )

• 22. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                                HerrRotkohl Level 1

OS X 10.10.3 is out as Public Beta.

I'm not a Beta-Tester.

Does anybody had a try?

Is the RAM-Preview Bug fixed by this Release?

• 23. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                                  Paritosh Verma

Has anyone tried 10.10.3 public beta for ram preview?

• 24. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                                    HerrRotkohl Level 1

Hello Paritosh Verma. In another thread about this topic Simon Joh4nsson had already answered this question.

Unfortunately Todd deleted the complete thread including Simons answer.
                                                    Todd is looking into how to undo this. But because it takes him 9 days by now to undo it, I guess it will never happen.

Here is a posting from the deleted thread concerning your question:

Simon Joh4nsson wrote (03.03.2015):

I have 10+ more frustrated AE users here.

Interesting that Adobe still plays the blame game. You say that:

"But to fix this for all versions of After Effects requires Apple to patch their operating system. They are aware of the issue."

When in fact you mean that your code is so old / such a mess, that you are relying on old technologies and can't keep up with Apple's advances within their OS (without having to re-write your old code which you had not hoped to do yet and that's why you are late).

I'm sure you have made Apple aware of an issue in their old frameworks that you rely on, just as it is lightly to suspect that Apple has made you aware that you should move forward using new frameworks.

I just tested and confirmed the issue is still there in the pre-release of 10.10.3 so it is not lightly that Apple is prioritising fixing old code so you don't have to work to keep your products up to date or competitive with your competitors... oh wait.. that's right, you don't have any.

• 25. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                                      Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi HerrRotkohl,

Unfortunately Todd deleted the complete thread including Simons answer.
                                                      Todd is looking into how to undo this. But because it takes him 9 days by now to undo it, I guess it will never happen.

Right, there is no way to restore a deleted post. Sorry about that.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 26. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                                        HerrRotkohl Level 1

Hi Kevin,

no backup of the data? Isn't that reckless?

• 27. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview

Hi HerrRotkohl,

Hi Kevin,

no backup of the data? Isn't that reckless?

I would rather have a backup of forum data but I have no control over this.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 28. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                                            yellowdogdesigns

soooo is this issue fixed? I still am experiencing issues.... lots of talk here. not much doing. I kinda wonder if were going to get this resolved..... feels like an mpeg issue i see a similar issue with the old version of quicktime 7 in the newer os's

GT

• 29. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                                              HerrRotkohl Level 1

yellowdogdesigns schrieb:

feels like an mpeg issue i see a similar issue with the old version of quicktime 7 in the newer os's

What is this similar issue with QT7?

I also use QT7 Pro. But I haven't noticed anything.

• 30. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                                                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

yellowdogdesigns wrote:

soooo is this issue fixed? I still am experiencing issues.... lots of talk here. not much doing

There is a lot of "doing" happening. The fix Adobe has in the works involves redoing how AE previews at the core level of the code. This involves a lot of work and, according to Adobe, the majority of the AE team is working on this. And, I would imagine, changing AE on such a fundamental level would also require a lot of testing to ensure it works without bugs.

Personally, I would rather deal with having to let the RAM preview loop for smooth playback for a couple extra weeks if it meant a less-buggy final release.

• 31. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                                                  yellowdogdesigns Level 1

nice to hear this is being addressed. In my experience we tend to trade old bugs for new ones. regardless I'm still a bit shocked at the apparent lack of attention this has received. it's well over 5 months since the first post here. just blaming it on apple really isn't the answer. Im still a hard core fan of adobe products having used adobe aftereffects when it was called cosa aftereffects 2.0.(over 20 years ago). I remember when this feature was implemented and how it changed how i worked on projects. so lets fix it, let me know how I can help.

as far as the mpeg thing up until recently when i would open a mp4 file (compressed using h264) it would do the same thing when i pressed play. a 2 sec delay then every thing is fine. thats using the old qt7 pro player. Im not sure but mpeg files struggle with being frame accurate and it felt like it was streaming to memory before it played. just my thoughts.

• 32. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                                                    HerrRotkohl Level 1

Thanks for sharing your experience with mpeg-QT7. This really reminds me to the RAM Preview Issue in AE.

You say you are shocked at the apparent lack of attention?

There was much attention in this forum! There was a very long thread about this issue. But it  was deleted by an Adobe stuff member. Adobe doesn't recovers it. They say it was deleted by accident. Can't be recovered. It feels like censorship.

The thread was critical, much complaints, much frustrated users. Over the time the tone in some of the postings became angry. 

I think, the thread was quite helpful.

Some users offered their ideas for a workaround. It was also about this apple-blaming which isn't very helpful. Adobe Stuff members gave some litte information about progress in their work programming a fix for this problem. That was also interesting to read.

All in all the users were frustrated about the long time it takes to solve the issue.

And users also mentioned the lack of influence they have since AE is part of the Creative Cloud Pay system.

Here is the regarding thread where Adobe apologizes.

• 33. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview

Hi HR,

But it  was deleted by an Adobe stuff member. Adobe doesn't recovers it. They say it was deleted by accident. Can't be recovered. It feels like censorship.

The thread was critical, much complaints, much frustrated users. Over the time the tone in some of the postings became angry.

Sorry this issue of the deleted post continues to frustrate you. I've stated before that it was an accident (which has also happened to me, so I know), and it was. However, you continue to insist that we are "censoring" you because you don't trust it was a mistake, well, there's nothing I can do to change your mind. However, it was a mistake. Feel free to look at all the other sensitive threads that we have not touched on this and many other topics. In fact, we do like feedback even if it is not easy to hear.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to express yourself further regarding the post.

Regarding the bug, the team has stated many, many times about its status. Sorry if it is not pleasant information.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 34. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                                                        HerrRotkohl Level 1

Todd_Kopriva schrieb:

We have a fix in development to work around the issue on our side, and we intend to release an update with that fix this spring.

Spring is here (at least in Western Europe). Will there be the update before Easter? Or do you have any new information?

Happy Easter, everybody.

• 35. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview

HerrRotkohl wrote:

Todd_Kopriva schrieb:

We have a fix in development to work around the issue on our side, and we intend to release an update with that fix this spring.

Spring is here (at least in Western Europe). Will there be the update before Easter? Or do you have any new information?

Happy Easter, everybody.

If I were a betting man, I would guess that Adobe is going to make an announcement about the new version of AE at or around NAB in a couple of weeks. Adobe usually does announcements there. If  they do, all of us will know more then.

Speaking of NAB, I'm very excited about it for several reasons.

1. If anyone is a fan of Cinema 4D, they're going to be streaming a lot of their sessions live for those who can't attend and they have A LOT of sessions this year.

2. Adobe is likely to have several big announcements

3. THIS IS MY FIRST YEAR THAT I FINALLY GET TO ATTEND! I'll be spending a lot of time in sessions at Post|Production World, but the whole thing shall be amazing!

In fact, I'm so excited, I'm going to go make a post about it.

• 36. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                                                            Noski12

It appears to be spring now! Any word of a fix yet??

• 37. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview

They made a pretty big announcement before NAB this year and did some cool demonstrations at NAB. The previewing system is completely new. It's not released yet, but we still have a couple more months of spring for them to release it.

• 38. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview
                                                                                Gui Brito

I'm not one to complain about things like this but this is completely ridiculous that Adobe still doesn't have a fix for this problem.

• 39. Re: AE Skips first Second in Ram Preview

Gui Brito wrote:

I'm not one to complain about things like this but this is completely ridiculous that Adobe still doesn't have a fix for this problem.

As has been mentioned previously, this was a bug introduced by Apple. And it is ridiculous that Apple hasn't fixed it.

Adobe has a fix in development, but it's way more than a mere "fix" because creating it required completely rewriting how After Effects does previews.

A major architectural change in software as complicated as After Effects takes some time. I, for one, would prefer a working After Effects rather than a buggy release.

They have promised to release the latest version of AE (which includes the new previewing) sometime this spring.

I am willing to wait a bit longer through the inconvenience with the previews to give Adobe time to squash the bugs rather than pushing out a hasty, rushed release.

1 2 Previous Next