2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2014 5:49 AM by Fernando Minetti

Flex SDK 3.5 support

Fernando Minetti

Hello,

I would like to know if there is any due date to which the Adobe Flex SDK 3.5 will continue to be supported by the adobe flash player.

I dont know if this is the right way of asking this question, but we have a very large Adobe Flex app. In the past few years we have been discussing to move it to a newer SDK or to directly change technology (HTML5) but it has been really hard, and find us in a position where with a reduced team we are just maintaining that app.

So wanted to know if someone knows if there is a due date in which the compiled swf will no longer continue to work properly in the newer version of flash player.

Thanks in advance.

Fernando

• 1. Re: Flex SDK 3.5 support
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

There is no due date.  Adobe wants all future players to run all existing content.  Extensive testing is done before each release to try to ensure that.  Adobe in general will only purposefully break content if required to fix a security issue.  I’m pretty sure you aren’t the only one maintaining a Flex 3 app for years to come.

And don’t forget, there is continuing development on the Flex 4 code at Apache.  If enough folks showed up on the Apache Flex mailing lists wanting to make improvements to Flex 3, such a thing could happen there too.  At Apache, development is completely community-driven.

And also, there is progress being made on FlexJS, a next-generation Flex SDK that cross-compiles to HTML/JS/CSS.  That could make your transition off of Flash much easier.  Volunteers are always welcome to help accelerate its development

-Alex

• 2. Re: Flex SDK 3.5 support
            Fernando Minetti Level 1

Thanks Alex for your reply.