• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error loading photoshopimport.aip plugin in Illustrator CS4

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm currently using Illustrator CS4 and just updated my Mac to OS X Yosemite.  After installing the new software, I've got some bugs with Illustrator.  Namely, upon opening the program, I get the message "Error loading plugins". The plugin in question is "photoshopimport.aip".  I'm not sure if this is related to the next issue - I'm no longer able to open .tif files in Illustrator and says that they are "an unknown format and cannot be opened".  I have uninstalled and re-installed all Adobe programs, but I still get the same error messages.

Naturally, most of the work I do is in Illustrator with .tif files.  Can anyone offer some help with these problems?  Is this a case of the new OS X and CS4 having compatibility issues?  Am I going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade to a newer version of Adobe?  Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

I believe the right order/way is to reinstall the application(s) after updating the OS.

You may try that before other troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2014 Oct 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jacob, for your response.  Unfortunately, I have already tried that to no avail.  I wonder if there's a way to just delete and re-download the appropriate plugins...or if, like I mentioned, it's a compatibility issue with Yosemite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2014 Oct 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2014 Oct 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

There is an Yosemite issue with older plugins, so you may need to weed out/update some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jacob.  Looks like it's time to move up to CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Jeff.

But you may try to open Photoshop first, then Illy, although it may sound silly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also we cannot place psd files, just eps files, meantime im working with this ones

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2014 Oct 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeff,

I had the same problem.  Frustrating right?  Here's what worked for me.

Find a file .pdf on your computer, preferably one created on adobe illustator.  Click on it whilst holding down the 'control key'. The options menu should come up saying 'Open with'.  Scroll to there and open with Adobe Illustrator.

You may still have the missing plugin warning.  Click 'okay', and it will ignore it (before it just froze, right?) Then Illustrator will open as normal.

I hope this works for you as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RoleModel -

This worked for me. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2015 Feb 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! what worked for me right now was combining 2 of the suggestions above: first opened photoshop, second opened the .pdf file created with ilustrator. The error messaged was able to click OK and i opned it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2014 Dec 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I have the same error message popping up immediately after updating to yosemite on my apple laptop. So frustrating that I can no longer open photoshop files in illustrator. Part of the greatness of these programs is that you are able to use them together! This dramatically impacts my daily use of these programs.

I will be a eagerly waiting and hoping for  Adobe's solution to this issue!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2015 Jan 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i canot open any .psd files in AI anymore, this is messing my workflow up a whole lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the Plug in error too.  I upgraded my iMac (9,1) to Yosemite from Mavericks with CS4 already installed. I can use Illustrator but I had the font menu issue (changed the transparency preference as per web advice)  Fingers crossed Adobe won't hold us all to ransom in a bid to make us subscribe to CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bikebiddy schrieb:

Fingers crossed Adobe won't hold us all to ransom in a bid to make us subscribe to CC

Nobody holds you to ransom.

Nobody urged you to upgrade the system.

You could pretty much use Mavericks until either the system, your computer or Illustrator falls apart and nobody will ever bother you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough. I upgraded to accommodate compatibility with my new Mac. I just meant that from Adobe's perspective there is very little incentive to provide a solution.

Meanwhile I tried deleting the plugin and restarting AI and my error message has disappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4 was - I don't know - 5 years ago?

In the meantime Apple has changed the development platform (you need software to develop other software) at least once. It would be kind of an effort to update all the old code. You first need to port it to the new development platform then update what doesn't work then go through all the testing etc. etc.

Kind of like the old yearbook you did back in the days in Quark XPress 3 and now that you have long switched to InDesign they ask you to dig that up to change some of the images and fix those 7 typos in the articles. I mean why do you charge that much for it, should be done in 20 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2015 Sep 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THAT'S NOT TRUE!! You ARE held captive with these upgrades - if you do a lot of work and development. Because as you buy new equipment and software, eventually they REQUIRE you to use the latest OS, or you - can't use the latest browser and can't access various high-end sites -  Can't install the drivers for the latest scanners or printers - Can't play the latest games because they require DX12 or DX14 - which only comes with Windows 8 or 10.

I was using Parallel Desktop / Win Vista, which worked fine with OSX Lion. But some new Video Editing software I needed required Yosemite - so I had to upgrade to finish the project. Welp, that killed Parallel Desktop. To use the latest Parallel - I also have to upgrade Windows. The upgrade also causes funky stuff to happen with CS4 as you all see.

So (bikebiddy schrieb) WAS CORRECT!!! We are DEFINITELY held hostage in upgrading your OS if you want to use new  hardware & software. No one can do work and stay relevant using 10yo software and old skills... while your industry leaves you behind. It's just unfortunate that they do not focus more on making the new software more backwards compatible - especially when it costs $500-$1,000 to upgrade. That's insane... and now upgrading requires these ridiculous "SUBSCRIPTIONS"... that's BS as well - I will never RENT software!  For instance, I've been using Photoshop since 1994. If I'd been paying for a SUBSCRIPTION, I'd be out of over $12,000 for a $700 program. GTFOH!!! I'll switch to free GIMP first before I SUBSCRIBE for software. People are SUCKERS to go along with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I may say, Monika, your apparent attitude here isn't particularly helpful.

How could CS4 users know that this problem would be the result of updating their system?

Great to be wise after the event, but a lot of creatives would have left things well alone if they'd been aware of the negative side-effects.

Me included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doebus schrieb:

How could CS4 users know that this problem would be the result of updating their system?

Using very old software on a new system alone could be a clue. In the 20 or so years that I have been using Mac OS this has never ever been a good idea. Back in the time when people still actually read magazines, they were always up to date on issues like those and having experienced only one issue during one update made you be careful on all following updates.

Now that all these magazines are long gone (because people thought they didn't need them anymore and then of course didn't buy them anymore) everyone has to get this info themselves. So before even thinking of updating do an internet research about problems. I mean there are even websites where people post which apps run and which don't. But also this forum is a good start. Read it regularly and be the first to know of issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again Monika your contribution suggests that creatives have nothing better to do than constantly peruse the internet for possible problems every update (to our system) may create. And we are constantly being faced with unwanted updates, because companies like Apple and Adobe earn a lot of money that way.

As you seem to be such an expert on the subject, do something creative... tell us what the solution is to this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm honestly not sure how Monika got her "MVP" status as she seems to be extremely non-empathetic…

I would love to find an answer to this that doesn't involve downloading my OS and doesn't require me upgrading to a version of Adobe that isn't compatible with my OS either (and that I don't have to pay for every month I want to use it.) I don't use Adobe as much as I used to but still want to use it occasionally and would love to be able to fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines