5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2014 8:52 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I burn high quality DVDs that will look good on tv

prdoc

I am getting very poor results from burning DVDs in Premiere 12. There must be a way to burn high quality DVDs. My graphics bend off the page, even though I have inserted them in the safe zone. There is fuzziness, too. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: How do I burn high quality DVDs that will look good on tv
          A.T. Romano Level 7

prdoc

On what computer operating system are you running Premiere Elements 12. Have you updated 12 to 12.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Update? If not, please do so.

As for your graphics going off presumed TV screen...the Safety Margins should have taken care of that - you staying within

the inner rectangle for text and the outer rectangle for action. Look under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General where you should

be able to change the defaults which are found as

Title Safe area,  20 %h, 20%v

Action Safe area, 10%h, 10%v

Re-evaluate what you are doing first.

In Premiere Elements 12, have you tried Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD disc - the disc being DVD? You can do that burn to with a

regular DVD CD burner. However, you cannot play back AVCHD format on DVD disc using a regular DVD player. There are some

computer players which will support this playback. There are some Blu-ray and multimedia type players that will support this playback.

What size TV screen is involved in the viewing of your DVD-VIDEO format on DVD discs? Are you Premiere Elements 12 Timeline contents

all photos or a mix of photos and videos? Please give us some details on your projects that are ending up fuzzy et al - source media properties,

project presets, etc. Are you maintaining the same aspect ratio from start to end of your workflow? I suspect that the answers to your issues

will be in those details.

Please review and consider. Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I burn high quality DVDs that will look good on tv
            prdoc Level 1

ATR:

Thanks so much for the comprehensive response.

I will take another look at the margin settings, per your advice. But not sure how I could be so far off. The TV size is 32" HD and I am using a very good Sony DVD player. I'm editing a mix of HD video and hi-res photos.

Regarding aspect ratio, I wouldn't even know how to change it mid project--didn't even know that was possible. Everything looks perfect in preview and gorgeous when exported to MPEG. It's the DVD that always looks subpar on TV. However, you may well have identified my problem. I am probably using the wrong setting to begin with. I am using NTSC-AVCHD Full HD 1080i30 for these projects. Maybe I can't export a good looking DVD under this setting? What is the optimal setting for DVDs to be played from a variety of DVD players and not from a computer? If this is the answer, is there a way to copy and paste all of my work into a new workflow under the correct setting?

And yes, I love that AVCHD option, which is what I will give to the client on a jump drive. He can play directly from any modern computer and get excellent resolution. Unfortunately, he wants DVDs as well, as that's how the videos will most likely be played by others in his organization.

Thanks again for any advice.

prdoc

• 3. Re: How do I burn high quality DVDs that will look good on tv
              A.T. Romano Level 7

prdoc

Thanks for the follow up.

The Safety Margins feature target is at TV viewing and relates to the concept called Overscan.

Overscan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you have access to another TV to determine if you are getting the same cut offs on both TVs?

Have you checked the TV settings on the TV?

With your cut off images, I am suspecting that you might have set up for a 16:9 project and are exporting 4:3.

When you are in the Edit area with your 1080i project, do you see any black borders on screen?

When you got to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc, what preset did you use

NTSC_Dolby DVD

or

NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

Depending on the answer to the above, the solution may be an uncomplicated one...if you have a 16:9 project

then go with the NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD choice.

Please consider and let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I burn high quality DVDs that will look good on tv
                prdoc Level 1

ATR

You helped me figure it out. Thanks.  The reason my text was flowing outside the screen on the HD TV is that my graphics were outside the safe zone, as you predicted. Also, my DVD player settings were not on the optimal level and that affected the video quality. I was outputting the video correctly from Premiere but the other factors influenced the video quality.

The reality is that there is no way to know exactly how this DVD will look on multiple players that the client's people will be using. I'll give him the DVDs and the AVCHD versions on jump drive, and recommend he use the latter whenever possible.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Best,

PRDOC

• 5. Re: How do I burn high quality DVDs that will look good on tv
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

prdoc

Thanks for the update and learning that you are moving forward with your projects. Great news. Great job.

I am not sure what strategy you might want to consider, but.... a DVD disc is being used for each of the formats, DVD-VIDEO

and AVCHD. And, as we know AVCHD DVD cannot be played back using a regular DVD player whereas DVD-VIDEO on DVD

disc can. To avoid negative feedback, any merit in placing somewhere on the disc label for AVCHD DVD "cannot be played back with

regular DVD player"? Or, are your client's people familiar enough with these formats to be aware of the player requirements? Don't

want to upset them with information they already knew.

Best wishes.

ATR