3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2007 8:08 PM by Newsgroup_User

internationalizing trouble

kim il sung
      hi,
      following scenario:
      client A fill html based form and submit it to cf page P for processing to database.
      submitted form is html format and doesnt live at same server than cf, actualy it is in different country/different webserver.
      for more, submitted form can have encoding set example:
      <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

client B fill cf based form and submit it to cf page P for prosessing to database.
      submitted form is cf format and live at same server than cf.
      encoding is set to ISO-8859-1 and whole app is using ISO-8859-1 btw.. (dont ask why)

how i could handle client A?
      i dont necessary know what encoding html form is using so i guess i have two different paths to choose:
      1) chance server encoding and cf form for client B to utf-8
      2) read somehow client A submitted html header and determine from that data used encoding and force cf to use it
      to read/process form data

#1 is bigger job sence number of clients (and there webforms) using ISO-8859-1 is 98%
      #2 could give me some breathing time, if succeeded, to do later #1

any thoughts or help?
      Cheers
      Kim
        • 1. Re: internationalizing trouble
          Level 7
          what ver of cf?

• 2. Re: internationalizing trouble
            kim il sung Level 1
            ver=cf 7 std
            • 3. Re: internationalizing trouble
              Level 7
              kim il sung wrote:
              > <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

"just use unicode" (c). frankly, if you have one situation where you use
              unicode, there will be others. might be better to just convert(if indeed the
              latin-1 app is actually latin-1, see below).

> client B fill cf based form and submit it to cf page P for prosessing to
              > database.
              > submitted form is cf format and live at same server than cf.
              > encoding is set to ISO-8859-1 and whole app is using ISO-8859-1 btw.. (dont
              > ask why)

if you're 100% sure it's latin-1 & NOT windows-1252 you should be ok to use
              utf-8 on the backend as latin-1 is a subset of unicode (i say this not knowing
              anything about your app). also are you sure they are using latin-1 on the
              backend? for cf7 you have to go out of your way to *not* use unicode.

> i dont necessary know what encoding html form is using so i guess i have two
              > different paths to choose:

if they are actually setting the content type in the form's header i think you
              might be able to simply examine CGI.CONTENT_TYPE but you won't be able to change
              the processing page's encoding at run time, you'll need to redirect to a page
              using whatever encoding you need. the tricky bit will be not to garbage the
              form's data while you do the redirect. it might be simplest to point the
              html/utf-8 form at a special page.