7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2007 1:52 PM by Deaf Web Designer

Fireworks slices, too long to load

chango77745
      I have recently made a page, you can all go see it, www.eptechs.com

If you go to the page you may notice that all the images and stuff take a while to load and it loads some parts of the background as if it were to load an image. Does any know where I went wrong here?
      I am not sure what I did wrong. I use dreamweaver to publish my site and. You can all see the site and please tell me what is wrong.

Thanks so much! www.eptechs.com
        • 1. Re: Fireworks slices, too long to load
          Marilynlee17 Level 1
          I'm having that same problem too and I don't know why. Here's my site: www.ifda-ne.org
          • 2. Re: Fireworks slices, too long to load
            chango77745 Level 1
            I don't see anything on your page, but a nav. bar. Some1 please help us!
            • 3. Re: Fireworks slices, too long to load
              Level 7
              "Lee" <marilynlee17@yahoo.com> wrote in message
              news:eu0uo4$d44$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > I'm having that same problem too and I don't know why. Here's my site:
              > www.ifda-ne.org

Unfortunately, that's the price one pays for making a web document with
              a graphics program. The code is extremely inefficient and slicing an
              image creates - many smaller images (it's like Tribbles) which take time
              for a server to process. More a personal site this is not a major
              problem. If you design web sites, for paying clients, however, you might
              want to invest a little time in learning how to code a page more
              efficiently with clean markup and then style it with CSS. Programs like
              Fireworks and Photoshop should only be used to create images - whole
              ones. The images should then be exported to a web site assets folder and
              inserted in the page - or deployed as CSS backgrounds.

--
              Al Sparber - PVII
              http://www.projectseven.com
              Extending Dreamweaver - Nav Systems | Galleries | Widgets
              Authors: "42nd Street: Mastering the Art of CSS Design"

• 4. Re: Fireworks slices, too long to load
                geniusboy2006
                Thanks so much!

Do you recommend any program that is good, and not so much amatuar like Front page is. As an interface and not so much coding? I use dreamweaver to publish my sites by the way.

Please let me know. A program that is user friendly and has a lot of avaliblity.
                • 5. Re: Fireworks slices, too long to load
                  chango77745 Level 1
                  Any1 else have any solutions?
                  • 6. Re: Fireworks slices, too long to load
                    Level 7
                    chango77745 wrote:
                    > Any1 else have any solutions?

There is no quick fix to your problem. Al Sparber gave some great advice
                    on how you should proceed if Web Design is something you wish to become
                    better at. Fireworks is a rapid prototyping and graphics editing program
                    for screen-based images. It is not a web site creation tool.

As for your comment about using Dreamweaver for publishing, I get the
                    impression you are really just using DW to upload (ftp) your files to
                    the web server.

--
                    Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                    Extending Knowledge, Daily
                    http://www.communityMX.com/
                    CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                    http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                    ---
                    .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                    news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                    news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                    • 7. Re: Fireworks slices, too long to load
                      Level 1
                      Along with great tips or advices given to you by Al Sparber and et. al., please bear that in your mind that we don't have control over web servers' file transfer requests from your browser or any other broswers across the Internet... so if there is lot of requests at the same time, it slows down the server. Not only that, but on the Internet from Point A to B. In between A to B, we don't have control over per se.

In addition to the factors above, we don't have control over Internet users who still use "old modem" or "slow, old computer".

Use your judgement and commonsense with sliced images. If I were you, I wouldn't want to do it. Two or three sliced images are too many, and too big. Even if the files are small, but we don't have control over web server, "point A to b" speed transfer across the Internet, and from web server to your computer all together including modem or broadband access.

Cheers, Brian

quote:

Originally posted by: chango77745
                      I have recently made a page, you can all go see it, www.eptechs.com

If you go to the page you may notice that all the images and stuff take a while to load and it loads some parts of the background as if it were to load an image. Does any know where I went wrong here?
                      I am not sure what I did wrong. I use dreamweaver to publish my site and. You can all see the site and please tell me what is wrong.

Thanks so much! www.eptechs.com